HKPRO Forums banner

Anyone have an Expert in .40?

3K views 21 replies 12 participants last post by  robert14 
#1 · (Edited)
What do you think of it? Do you compete with it? Last, what is a fair price for a NIB Expert in .40?

#8 ·
The benefit to .40 in competition is realized when reloading for USPSA. You can load light and shoot Production, or load to major for Limited. You will be at a disadvantage in Limited though, with the limited mag capacity.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

#11 ·
I tried the USP Expert in .40 and it was great. I would suggest to go for .40 if you reload and for the 9 mm if you don't, mainly because of ammo cost.
Cost of .40 ammo is similar to .45 and double as 9 mm.
.40 is accurate, soft recoil and easy to reload I like it for fun shoot, pin shooting, IPSC

#13 ·
I have to disagree a bit with people I ussually do agree with...

First, the expert is awesome. I own USPs, USPc(s), P30's in both 40's and 9mms. Reguarless of caliber the expert is by far the best of the bunch but its a very large long pistol.

If I had my choice between a 9mm and 40 expert, I would take the 40 as I reload (HEAVILY) and shoot my expert in USPSA. The 40 makes major which makes me a bit more competitive compaired to the wonder 9mm STI's and such out there. If I did not reload and just wanted an awesome range pistol, I would go with the 9mm. If you reload, the difference between 9mm and 40 is small. If you dont, you will notice the cost. I do shoot precision bullets through all my HKs (Lead) without issue. I have 10's of thousands of these rounds though my HKs without a single issue ever. A downloaded (minor) 40 is a REALLY soft shooting round. I dont know why it gets so much hate. Pretty versitile in my book.

Now, for duty/carry... different story. I love my USPc in 40 or my P30 in 9mm. I feel either round with a modern bullet is equally effective in the real world.

I think the real question is what is your intent for the pistol?

#15 ·
I used .40SW Expert for some 3 or 4 years in IPSC competition. I got quite good results, but in pursuit of better arrow I changed it to custom .40SW STI 2011. Now I regret this, I could invest a little into some modifications in Expert, spend rest of money on ammo and most probably I would have better results than I had with STI. Or at least far less malfunctions on stages.

#16 · (Edited)
At this point in time, I would be happy to have an Expert in either .40 or 9mm. God, I love the looks of the expert, especially with the jet funnel in place. Considering I have a ton of 9mm ammo, I'd prefer to go that route. Now, if that wasn't the case, I would go based on what another post on this thread stated... look at what you want it for, what will be its primary "mission" & go from there. I do prefer the .40 over the 9mm for duty use. I don't think I'd give over a thousand for one though & you should be able to find a decent used one for that in .40 or .45

#17 ·
I bought one of the .40 Experts from CDNN last year. I got it a week before the US Nationals, put a few hundred rounds through it, and shot it at the L10 Nats. I was really impressed with how well the gun shoots--soft and accurate. Like others, however, I found that it didn't track as well as a P30, and felt kinda 'spongy.' I tried using it for Production down loaded to minor, but didn't really like the way it felt--kind of sluggish with minor 180 grn bullets. I love the gun, however, and I forsee me shooting it in Limited sometime in the future.

If they would only make a P30 Expert. Sigh.

#19 ·
Mostly the dual recoil spring. It works great for it's intended purpose of reducing the actual PSI force at your hand under peak recoil, but what you get is a gun that behaves a bit like a pogo stick. Compare it to an STI 2011 with a standard (and light) recoil spring: The 2011 will 'feel' like it recoils more (even though the energy created between identical loads in an STI and Expert would be the same), but it behaves better. It shoots flatter, and most importantly, it tracks better, and more predictably. It fires, the sights lift, and the sights return to the same place they left from, without having to muscle it back to where they came from. The Expert, while soft feeling, seems to have more muzzle rise, and I have to work harder to get the sights back to where they started from. I have seen a few threads on taking out the second smaller recoil spring, fitting a collar or bushing in its' place, and basically making a solid guiderod, and it seems that this really helps tame the gun a bit. It smacks the hand a little harder in recoil, but it tracks better.

#22 ·
Since Glock has gone to the double recoil spring setup, I wonder how this effects their tracking. Anyone got any experience with the gen4 Glocks & this issue? I know some companies already have made conversion kits to take them back to the old single spring setup.

#21 · (Edited)
Funny you should ask the question Dobe. I just took my Expert 40 to my very first IDPA match today. I was not the fastest by far, but had good accuracy. I have to say this experience was up there with some of the most fun things I have ever done. For my first time out, I chose the weapon that would give me the most confidence. The Expert is very accurate for target shooting and as Razzman suggests, you can definitely compete with it. You can debate the technical differences but they won't matter to me until I have had many more competitions under my belt. You should be aware that for IDPA competition you will start in DA and since it has the safety, you will also start with the safety on. You must have the hammer down to fit in the IDPA dimension limits. Another consideration is that some Experts come wth a mag funnel which will put you in the Enhanced Service Pistol class. Neither of these things are a factor for me at my level of competitiveness. I expect that one can train to the level where they are not factors. I also have a P30LS in 9mm that I will compete with when I get more experience in shooting it. You might consider that as an option. It's not quite as accurate for me as the 40 Expert, but with a 4.5 in barrel it is close. The feel of the P30 is unparalleled. The main advantage the Expert has is the match trigger - it's excellent right out of the box and contributes most to make it a pleasure to shoot. The Expert has many fans on this forum for good reason. I agree that a P30 Expert would be the ultimate. :19: Many thanks to all of the forum participants who have advised and encouraged me since I joined just a few months ago.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.