HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
a Federal Arms FA-91 clone?

I bought the rifle back in 98/99.

At the time I really liked the railed receiver (I know most hate the aluminum, rough, textured appearance)

It is my understanding these were built on those receivers using G3 imported parts.

I am trying to determine if 922 compliance parts were used so that imported magazines could be used,
or if you had to use US magazines that count for 3 parts total.

Plans for this are to add a collapsible stock.

It functions fine, but I have heard bad things about heavy use of these builds.

I may end up going with a PTR receiver and using mine as a parts kit.

Any information appreciated.

Thank you.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Does glue count as a compliance part?

Seriously though, don't invest yourself in this project. The stock will not fit on your gun, and even if it did, its like painting over rust. Part the gun out and get a PTR receiver.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Does glue count as a compliance part?

Seriously though, don't invest yourself in this project. The stock will not fit on your gun, and even if it did, its like painting over rust. Part the gun out and get a PTR receiver.
Yes, that is my plan.
Strip the parts from my FA receiver,
rebuild on a PTR receiver with a collapsible stock.

I am trying to determine what parts I can use from this rifle for the build,
and what of the parts in the FA rifle are 922 compliant.

I have only put 500rds through it in all this time,
it is a "go box" sitting there gun that has been used little.
(which is why it still functions....)

·
Premium Member
1,737 Posts
I am trying to determine what parts I can use from this rifle for the build,
and what of the parts in the FA rifle are 922 compliant.
The problem with compliance is many of the 'small parts' that count for compliance are not marked by the maker, so its a complete guess as to what was made where.

Most of the major items, like barrels, receivers, and carriers are marked.

IMO the build is going to need a new receiver, 1 part. Then get a complete semi-auto trigger group from PTR, that gives you 4 more, and you're well on the way to what you need.

·
Registered
893 Posts
On my SAR-8 that was the same style of receiver, same time frame, off the top of my head it was:
Charging handle
hammer
sear
floorplate
follower
receiver
muzzle brake (fed ban era)
...and second the comment on ditching the FAC receiver...
The US made parts are pretty obvious when compared to the original G3 parts, except for the follower and floor plate. You'd have to have a good look at it so see that it was stamped.

·
Registered
10,256 Posts
The Federal Arms guns were built before 922(r) was conceived. I'm of the opinion that NONE of the parts, other than the receiver itself is US made. I could very well be wrong, but I never did look into the Aluminum receivered gun. The SW-3 guns came out way after the Federal guns did. I think Todd was still employed at GM and SW wasn't even a thought in his mind yet.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I am finally getting around to updating. I had a lot of AR projects I was sidetracked on.

I just got one of the telescoping stock PTR 16 inch 91s from CDNN. They had a sale that included 10 aluminum mags and a spare fixed stock.

I like it.

My PTR receiver arrived and I am taking the FA91 to be rebuilt. I am adding a wide handguard to it, (and looking for a bipod to go with it). It is an 18 inch barrel and I am going to keep it a fixed stock.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts