HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im thinking about starting, Im just wondering which caliber and gun you use?

·
Registered
48 Posts
I mostly shoot a USPf 9mm w/ a light LEM trigger, a Novak lo-mount rear sight(all black, no dots) and a Hi-Viz light pipe front sight. I have my USPf set up this way w/ the light LEM trigger b/c it mirrors my two primary carry guns, my P2000 and P2000SK. I use the USP b/c it has a longer sight radius than either the P2000/P2000SK or any of the USPc guns. Its kind of the best of both worlds...just like shooting my carry gun but the longer sight radius makes me a little more competitive. I carry it in a Blade-Tech holster, which can be set up as a regular belt holster; the "sting ray" belt holster (carries gun closer to body, more realistic for a CCW based competitive sport); w/ the easy on/off tek-lok attachment (don't have to remove your belt to put it on/off); or with a paddle. I use the Blade-Tech double mag pouch w/ tek-lok easy on/off attachment. The Blade-Tech comes in kydex or very high quality injection moulded models. I use the kydex b/c it will last as long as the gun and is impervious to rough handling, although it is more expensive. The injection moulded can be had much more inexpensively. I might go w/ that option until I'm sure that IDPA is something I'm going to stay at...then go ahead and buy the kydex at some later point.

Right now I'm ranked an SSP Expert (only missed Master by a few seconds, maybe next time)...not great but also not too bad. The gun shoots as well as I will probably ever be able to shoot it. In other words it won't prevent me from making Master in SSP or ESP, only my lack of talent or dedication to more training will do that.

Its a good set-up. Give it a look and enjoy IDPA...its a lot of fun, great people.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I use my carry guns. I usually carry either a 1911 or HiPower, so that's what I usually shoot in IDPA (and IPSC). I carry the HK P7M8 less often, but shoot it in matches now and then.

I use matches as a practice session. I'm not going to win anything anyway, so I might as well take advantage of a good practice opportunity.

·
Registered
408 Posts
P7M13 in production class, only loaded mags to ten rounds. carried in blade tec. got tired of dropping $100 plus mags in the gravel and hoping the timer or safety dude didn't step on them as we moved thriugh the stage.
Moved to a USPF.40,
then got a killer deal on a 1911 so i switched to that.
Haven't shot a match in a couple of years since I now work on Saturdays.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have average eye sight, but find at long distances the 9mm hole is just too small. Therefore I started using a 45, which was really expensive. I finally settled on using a 40 Cal.

IDPA is a lot of fun, and your skills WILL improve!

·
Registered
269 Posts
I shoot a USP v1 9MM fullsize. I shoot it with standard sights, only thing I did was put on a jet funnel and grip tape. Gun shoots amazing! I would say the 45acp holes are a lot easier to see but its hard to shoot a 45 as fast as a 9mm. I don't think I could see a 40 cal hole better then a 9mm hole, lets face it thats 1mm difference. 45acp holes do stand out! There are threads on here about what gun to shoot at IDPA and there is one guy who says you just cant shoot an HK as fast as lets say a Glock, well thats BS. I shoot one of my HK's because I enjoy shooting them and like to have something a bit different. Mag changes on the HK are faster and the gun is more reliable then even a Glock. I used to shoot a 9mm Glock. I shot yesterday and didn't shoot my best and I still beat guys who are as good and maybe better then me and they were shooting a Glock 17 and 34. Its the Indian not the arrow.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I just shot my first IPSC match today and I had a great time. The only pistol I had with enough spare magazines was my Sig 226 in 9mm. Shot well but was really wishing I had my USP so I could see those BIG .45 cal holes and to know whether or not I needed another Alpha!

Great time, great people. Think I am finally gonna have to start reloading smokeless rounds. Right now I only know how to do black powder cartridge loads.

Have fun, my advice go with a .45 if you can afford to feed it otherwise a 9mm HK will do the job.

Once I have enough spare mags its gonna be HK time! Whos got good deals on fullsize USP .45 magazines?

Billy

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I was planning on going 45, but practice is so much more expensive with it than the 9mm, on the flip side I carry the 45, but dont carry and 9mm.

·
Registered
802 Posts
No point to shoot a 45 unless you really want to shoot in CDP. If you are looking at the hole to see if you hit the target, you weren't calling your shots.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My whole issue is that I am in the market for another gun. I will either go with a P2000, USP45CT, or wait for the HK45C all in LEM. I know 9mm would be the most economical but I dont want to compete with what I wont carry and I have never carried 9mm, Im having a hard time with the thought of starting now. All I have is a 40 P2000sk or a 45 uspf.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Just go out and buy the Todd Jarrett Para-Ordnance .40 1911. You know you want to! :p

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just go out and buy the Todd Jarrett Para-Ordnance .40 1911. You know you want to! :p
Id rather eat my testicles sauteed in razor blades than by another 1911.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I use a 1911 in CDP. Just got a 9mm 1911 for ESP, can't wait to try it. Use a CZ P01 for SSP. I did use a HK P2000 LEM for a while, I liked it and it was competitive. About 7 years ago I used a HK .45c but it was unreliable even after 2 trips to HK. 9mm is the cheapest and easiest way to go.

·
Registered
802 Posts
I think you are way over thinking that a 9mm will be that different to shoot than a 40 or 45. It's not. It all comes down to seeing the sights on target and pulling the trigger. It doesn't matter if it is a 22 or a 9mm or 308 or even a 50 BMG. It all comes down to sight picture and trigger control. If you are noticing things like recoil, you weren't paying attention to the sight picture.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I shoot my USP .45F, I really enjoy IPDA and 3 gun matches.

CDP MM

I usually carry Kahr P9 and shoot that as a BUG in IDPA.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I just started IDPA this year with my USP .45 Tactical. I've tried a P7M13, which was nice to shoot, so I plan to buy a P30 for IDPA SSP and shoot my .45 in CDP. I want to prove to my buddies you don't need a "Safe Action" **cough** pistol to shoot well. Heck I'm a masochist and shoot a V1 which means the first shot is de-cocked :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have a USP Expert in 9mm with a right hand safety in lieu of the ambi safety. Its a rather big gun to shoot, but I have a clear advantage over other shooters with the longer sight radius. Its been a great gun.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I almost bought one of those this week.... But I got (from another thread) another USP40f w/ the Match LEM trigger on it to play with. I'll get the Jarrett Para next time. A friend of mine just keeps pushing me to go 1911 for USPSA. I enjoy shooting my HKs.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts