HKPRO Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This P30 LEM light in .40 S&W has been sitting in a local pawn shop for a few weeks. I decided to pick it up today for $522 OTD. I was hesitant, as I've gotten away from .40 S&W for 9mm, but still have plenty of .40 ammo. It's used, but not abused. It only came with one mag and the box. No panels, back straps, or manual. I've already ordered some mags & larger back straps to try out. It fits fairly well in my VP40 holster I kept after getting rid of my VP40. It might have been a Fed duty gun, as I'm not far from the border.

Any one still carry or prefer the P30 in .40 S&W?

·
Registered
91 Posts
For quite a while, the US Govt no longer sells its surplus LE firearms, they destroy them unfortunately! Yes, it absolutely sucks all around, zero reason for it and don't get me started on my soapbox about that !!! Anyway...I have a lot of "fraternal twins" in pistols in both calibers ( VP9 /VP40, P2000 in 9 & 40 Glock 17 & 22, S&W M&P in 9 & 40 etc) I'll say during the Covid panic 40S&W amp was on the shelves in a lot of places, 9 & 45 were not along with 10mm,357 and a lot of others. As a "lonely only", I have one P30 in .40 and I love it and it might go to LTT for an RMR milling of the slide! I think most if not all of the current HK handgun lineup (save the MK23) was designed to handle the 40 & its pressures, etc but I could be wrong. I know the USP definitely was but again, not 100% on others. Regardless, the 40 in any platform, is not a slouch in defensive loads, it will get the job done, no doubts. The P30 in 40 has a slightly more snappiness during recoil but nothing to write home about. Reliability, longevity etc well, you already know about those being a non issue in the VP & now P30 platforms! You scored a decent deal, at least in my eyes, so train with it & enjoy it !

·
Registered
4,257 Posts
One of my original HKs was an early P30 40 V2.
Had it converted to V1 and carried it for a while.
Mine is extremely accurate with 180 gr sub sonics.
It's just a little large for me to conceal easily in hot climates.
I personally prefer my P2000 357 for CC.
No way I'm selling that P30 though...

·
Premium Member
Trying to collect ALL the HK pistols
724 Posts
I'd love to find an P30 .40 for under $550 to add to my set.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
91 Posts
Can anyone compare and contrast the P30 in .40 to the Sig P229 in .40 recoil wise? Does the P229 shoot softer and if so is it enough to notice or make a difference?
At one point I had both, the P30 was "softer" on the recoil impulse at least to me. Accuracy, reliability, etc pretty much neck and neck with no issues from either gun in that caliber. For me I didn't care for the P229 in 40, it seemed snappy to me and Im not recoil sensitive at all. Maybe I was jaded as I used for a long time, its cousin, the P228 in 9mm that I felt was an absolute dream to carry & shoot in that cal.!

·
Registered
453 Posts
At one point I had both, the P30 was "softer" on the recoil impulse at least to me. Accuracy, reliability, etc pretty much neck and neck with no issues from either gun in that caliber. For me I didn't care for the P229 in 40, it seemed snappy to me and Im not recoil sensitive at all. Maybe I was jaded as I used for a long time, its cousin, the P228 in 9mm that I felt was an absolute dream to carry & shoot in that cal.!
I've had the opposite experience. I believe the sig p229/226 to be the softest shooting 40/357 pistols I've ever shot. I think the heavier weight of the sigs makes a big difference.

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
Can anyone compare and contrast the P30 in .40 to the Sig P229 in .40 recoil wise? Does the P229 shoot softer and if so is it enough to notice or make a difference?
Felt recoil can be subjective. But IMHO, the P229 is a much softer shooting because it was designed for the 40 cartridge whereas the P30 was modified for the 40 (from a 9mm). And you'll feel a greater sting with the P30 when you shoot lower grain 40's (165, 155, and 135).

·
Registered
12 Posts
Sorry for any thread drift here OP, not sure how frowned upon it is here but I do think it’s related to the topic of the P30 for carry.

It’s been a while since I shot my P229 in .40 but I recall the recoil impulse feeling sharper to me when compared to my Glock 23. I’ve sold off my Glocks and now just have the Sigs and some new to me P30 variants.

I’m planning on comparing my P30 to my P229 in a couple weeks and I’m assuming the P30 will feel softer as the polymer frame has some flex to it under recoil. I think that is why the metal framed P229 felt sharper.

If this holds true I’ll probably add a P30 in .40 to my carry rotation if I can get a good holster made for it. I prefer Milt Sparks leather but I’m not happy that their prices increased and their backlog is still really long. I have my first holster from TT GunLeather on order for my P30SK. I’ve heard great things about TT.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
840 Posts
Sorry for any thread drift here OP, not sure how frowned upon it is here but I do think it’s related to the topic of the P30 for carry.

It’s been a while since I shot my P229 in .40 but I recall the recoil impulse feeling sharper to me when compared to my Glock 23. I’ve sold off my Glocks and now just have the Sigs and some new to me P30 variants.

I’m planning on comparing my P30 to my P229 in a couple weeks and I’m assuming the P30 will feel softer as the polymer frame has some flex to it under recoil. I think that is why the metal framed P229 felt sharper.

If this holds true I’ll probably add a P30 in .40 to my carry rotation if I can get a good holster made for it. I prefer Milt Sparks leather but I’m not happy that their prices increased and their backlog is still really long. I have my first holster from TT GunLeather on order for my P30SK. I’ve heard great things about TT.

Also not trying to get into a versus so to start with all three are more than capable and none are too bad with recoil if fundamentals are sound. That said, IMO as far as recoil between them for whatever reason, seems like: S then p30 then g23. Although I think the p30 carries better than the S for cc and the G being an easier carry than both. Getting into subjective world and of course Ymmv.
I am curious as to why with the p30 the slide is dimensionally the same with 40/9 yet the VP40 is comparatively dramatically different than the VP9. The VP40 is definitely a contender on any list of soft shooting .40s and subjectively to me the VP40 feels softer than the P30/40. Not saying one is “better”/only speaking to recoil. I’m not engineer enough to understand why or why HK did this with the VP and not the P30 as...has been covered elsewhere ...it is almost positively the same quality steel/polymer heat treatment etc. yet the VP40 was designed with more steel in its slide...

·
Registered
840 Posts
Greetings, traveler from far away. What is this "40 S&W" you speak of?

Do your people still use it? Does it use the new smokeless powder?

:unsure:
It’s a special round being developed for HK’s new steel framed single stack optic ready sub compact with three (3) manual safeties guaranteed to drop at the next NRA. I know this because I heard it from someone who works at HK (i.e custodian/rep at a lgs or someone like that with a hotline to Oberndorf).👍

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

No worries. The more info. the better. I'm waiting on my new back straps & mags before I go shoot this thing. Probably will go out Friday.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts