HKPRO Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased a 99 usp 45 v3 with 5 mags from a LGS for 650 out the door that somebody sprayed in blue and black tiger stripe. It came with a ghost ring rear sight and trigger with a set screw on the back end of it to adjust over travel. This is my third hk, I have a stainless usp 45 ('98) and a mk23 ('03) with a camo case. I picked this thing up for the mags and to have another usp. My plans are to strip the duracoat, replace the rear sight, and put it in the door of my truck.

·
Registered
244 Posts
I duracoated a cheap AR, and immediately regretted it, partially because of my poor workmanship. Jasco Premium Epoxy Remover worked for me as far as removing it, but I could not remove it completely from the plastic parts. You might have a tough time with this one...

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well I have removed some of it from the slide and it looks to be a stainless slide or the PO removed the finish. I was thinking about cerakoting the slide fde or od or something and stippling the frame. It's not a show piece so I'm not that concerned about it looking immaculate

·
Registered
29 Posts
If it's going to be a "truck gun" I would not bother with a re-finish as it looks pretty nice as it is. Any idea how many rounds have been through the pistol? If taking the refinish route, I'd send it off to a professional. My choice of refinish would be Black-T. https://black-t.com/

·
Super Moderator
6,067 Posts
If it's going to be a "truck gun" I would not bother with a re-finish as it looks pretty nice as it is. Any idea how many rounds have been through the pistol? If taking the refinish route, I'd send it off to a professional. My choice of refinish would be Black-T. https://black-t.com/
This is my answer. Hook the gun up with a light/adapter, and some trij HD's and call it a day. If it is like that most people will think it's fake until the shooting starts which would be a possible advantage in some cases. Either way, that's not the worst job I've seen in all honesty. But it's your gun and you do what you do with it.

·
Registered
332 Posts
i got that same weapon w/2 mags off GB from a "TOP 25 Seller" for 450 +30 S&H +25 ffl . it's been through diesel fuel, motor oil, garden dirt, saw dust, paint, dust, rain, sweat etc... it's my "get down and dirty" weapon . cerakoting is easy if you have the knowledge and proper tools, if you don't it can be expensive . other option is to rattle can it with Duracoat, Aluma-Hyde II etc... if it's just a "truck gun" why throw more money at it .

these are only suggestions, it's your weapon and your decision . i respect that !

good luck and great weapon !

·
Registered
3,746 Posts
You might try brake fluid. It eats paint. I'd try a small painted part or area first to see what happens and go from there.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts