HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
I've never seen that specific brake but I've seen pretty much all the others. Most don't work, some work a little. Of the one's that do work well, they don't share many attributes with the brake shown. I also notice in the videos there seems to be a different recoil reaction every time he shoots the non-compensated rifle. Virtually everyone I've ever seen shoot a 91 for the first time has that same backwards rolling recoil- until you show them how to shoot it. It's not a Remington 700- it recoils straight back. Basically, I think the shooter was acting.

Two excellent brakes- the JP brake (looks a little like an M60 tank brake- clubby, but it works) and the Vais. The Vais is the best I've ever tried.

·
Registered
732 Posts
The Cooley version on mine works pretty good. It isn't as good as the tank brake, which is next, but it is still pretty good.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, the recoil did seem a little exagerrated in that vid, I've never thought the G3 kicked particularly hard myself.

I'm interested in brakes purely from the standpoint of keeping the recoil down so as to make double taps more accurate.

·
Registered
887 Posts
Yeah, the recoil did seem a little exagerrated in that vid, I've never thought the G3 kicked particularly hard myself.

I'm interested in brakes purely from the standpoint of keeping the recoil down so as to make double taps more accurate.
IMHO a center of mass .308 hit would make a double tap unnecessary. The .308 has some real punch to it and will take a man sized target down in a hurry. You're talking in excess of 2200 ftlbs of energy at 100 yards with a 170 grain bullet. The military uses the .308 out to 915 meters as a sniper round. I would not want to be on the receiving end of a G3, or HK91.

·
Registered
329 Posts
That recoil is very exaggerated, not only is he recoiling the gun in different directions but he's doing it well after the shot takes place, as soon as that bolt slams back his arms going to be up in the air, not 2-3 seconds after.

As far as muzzle brakes go I've tried a couple on various different rifles, and all they really did, in all honesty, was make me go deaf and half blind from the gasses it throws back. I did NOT enjoy it, whether they worked as intended or not, maybe, if so, very marginal difference in recoil.

·
Super Moderator
1,197 Posts
Those JP recoil Eliminators work very well. I don't have one, but I know a guy who does. He had his .300 Winchester Magnum bolt action Remmington 700 fitted with one, and the recoil is very manageable. It still hits you in the shoulder, but it doesn't shove you at the same time. We had a .243, which is a very light recoil round, at the same range trip and the .243 was harder on you than the .300WM with the JP Recoil Eliminator.

I would not hesitate to buy one of their brakes... Although I would rather have them fit it to the barrel rather than use a crush washer.

·
Registered
280 Posts
I own several of the JP Recoil Eliminators, including one on a 16" PTR91 I had custom built.

They are large but they all work exactly as advertised and truly eliminate the recoil to your shoulder. On .223 guns the sight literally never leaves the target so 50yd double-tap head shots are easy and 100yd double-tap body hits are virtually guaranteed. Put the cross hairs, or dot, onto the target and press the trigger twice. Your hits will be there.

On my 16" .308 the recoil is reduced that about that of a .223 and all muzzle climb is eliminated. That said, the bark is quite rude to anyone not directly behind the stock of the gun. One of the owners of CMMG said it felt like his brain "reset" every time I pulled the trigger. :D

Plain and simple, they work.

The Bennie Cooley brake that Stubby mentioned above is also designed and made by JP so I have no doubts whatsoever that it works well too. BTW, it was designed solely to meet the USPSA's Limited Class rules, otherwise the top guys would still be using the Recoil Eliminator "tank brakes" that they were all using prior to the addition of a rule limiting brakes to 26mm diameter for "Limited" guns.

·
Registered
732 Posts
I own several of the JP Recoil Eliminators, including one on a 16" PTR91 I had custom built.

They are large but they all work exactly as advertised and truly eliminate the recoil to your shoulder. On .223 guns the sight literally never leaves the target so 50yd double-tap head shots are easy and 100yd double-tap body hits are virtually guaranteed. Put the cross hairs, or dot, onto the target and press the trigger twice. Your hits will be there.

On my 16" .308 the recoil is reduced that about that of a .223 and all muzzle climb is eliminated. That said, the bark is quite rude to anyone not directly behind the stock of the gun. One of the owners of CMMG said it felt like his brain "reset" every time I pulled the trigger. :D

Plain and simple, they work.

The Bennie Cooley brake that Stubby mentioned above is also designed and made by JP so I have no doubts whatsoever that it works well too. BTW, it was designed solely to meet the USPSA's Limited Class rules, otherwise the top guys would still be using the Recoil Eliminator "tank brakes" that they were all using prior to the addition of a rule limiting brakes to 26mm diameter for "Limited" guns.
Yep. It was my desire to compete in that sport, but I'm too old and chiggered up to do all that flopping about and running. That's why I bought the Cooley.

Thinking I'll just get the tank brake and be done with it.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well I just recently got my hands on one of the IGF 4 prong flash hiders, so I'll give that a try. It looks pretty awesome on there. I know it's not a muzzle brake, but it reputedly reduces the flash signature pretty well.

·
Registered
45 Posts
There's only one thing bad about the JP brakes. Your neighbors at the range will hate you. I tried one on a 338 Lapua and was asked by range management to not bring it there anymore. The guys on either side were getting nosebleeds. I swapped to the Vais and that's a good compromise. Recoil is up by maybe 20% but noise is down by 50 or 60%. The downside of the vais or any radially-discharging brake is if you're shooting prone, they blow up dust. Radials are inherently more accurate though.

You can't beat the JP for recoil reduction though.

·
Registered
3,464 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
i have two of the primary weapons DNTC on ARs, and i have the .308 version on my savage bolt gun and my AR10, they work extremely well, and won't blow out you range buddies, in fact i have stood right next to my AR10 firing and it didn't bother me at all, AND if you don't like it its money back quarentee, so buy it and try it and if you don't like it they will refund you, you can't get better than that.

·
Registered
3,464 Posts
lol nice. Im looking at the FSC47 for my AK. not many choices there.
Friend of mine uses one on his AKMS (polish AK47) and he is very pleased with this setup.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I have used a DNTC on an FAL in 308 and it does indeed work extremely well. As for killing flash, Vortex will kill M240H MG fire flash under NVG's. They work. Very well.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts