HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Vector V51 Pistol on order. I would like to add a fore-grip to it.

Are AOWs legal in IL?

If so can anyone recommend an FFL that will understand what I am doing and assist in processing the paper work?

·
Registered
651 Posts
EDITED TO REMOVE INCORRECT INFORMATION

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
nope, IL does not allow AOW, suppressors, full auto, or SBR.
IL gun laws suck

The part I am having a difficult time with is I can find the laws stating the SBRs, suppressors, machine guns, and destructive devices but nothing covers the AOWs. What law covers AOWs? Do AOWs in IL fall into a different category? If so what?

Although a vendor, and I don't take this as gospel nor would I buy something based on this, this website says AOWs are legal in IL:

http://www.westernfirearms.com/wfc/default?set=06

I do have an e-mail out to them asking them to point me in a direction or find out where they got their information from.

·
Registered
651 Posts

·
Registered
651 Posts
it's legal because it's not covered in the list of illegal weapons, and therefore it will only fall under federal law requiring the $5 AOW stamp

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
it's legal because it's not covered in the list of illegal weapons, and therefore it will only fall under federal law requiring the $5 AOW stamp
Very cool. Thank you very much. Happy new year!!!

·
Premium Member
8,625 Posts
Remember that an AOW is $5 to transfer, but still $200 to "make". So I think it means you'll have to take to an FFL to get the handle added on, he can then transfer it to you for $5.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think what I am going to try do is send Vector the parts I want used and have them install it and do the paperwork, etc. From new the pistol will be an AOW. Does that make sense?

I plan on calling the local ATF branch tomorrow and Vector to see how this can work out. I'll post back up with my results.

·
Premium Member
8,625 Posts
I think what I am going to try do is send Vector the parts I want used and have them install it and do the paperwork, etc. From new the pistol will be an AOW. Does that make sense?

I plan on calling the local ATF branch tomorrow and Vector to see how this can work out. I'll post back up with my results.
I think that would be the way to go. The only hangup would be that I think you will now have to transfer it through an FFL in your state, if you are in a different state than Vector. But it will still be cheaper than you installing and "making" the AOW yourself.

·
Registered
43 Posts

How did this turn out, I'm sure I'm not the only curious one here?

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Vector preffered not to make it an AOW. I just got the call today that it is finished. Once I get it I'll go thru the process. I'll update the thread as I make any progress.

·
Premium Member
8,625 Posts
What is an AOW?
An "Any Other Weapon". Things like wallet guns, pen guns, cell phone guns, etc. are transfered as "Any Other Weapon". And other things that aren't classified as machineguns, short barreled rifles, or destructive devices. Anything else that doesn't fit one of those definitions, and not a pistol, rifle, or shotgun is deemed an AOW.

That's the general gist of it.

·
Registered
489 Posts
That is good to know. Thank you very much.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ok, so my project is back on and I actually have a direction to head.

Here is an article about AOWs and how to go about making one:

http://www.atf.treas.gov/firearms/041006-vert_grip.htm

I have the V-51 pistol in route. I should get it on Friday. I've ordered the forms I need from the ATF (down-loadable forms are unavailable currently). I should have all the forms next week and hopefully send my paperwork in. I'll update this thread when I have news.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts