HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a cheap NcStar claw mount i used for GSG-5 and Umarex MP5 22lr rifles. It seems strong and stays in place. I'm getting a +$2,000 mp5 clone soon and wanted to know if there any bad sides to using these because i noticed there's alot of claw mounts made by H&K and other companies costing upwards of $60 and over. I paid $20 for the one I have, is it a bad idea to use it on my new rifle?

They seem all the same, i don't understand why some cost more then others.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
A lot of those cheap mounts are made of cheap cast aluminum or cast zinc, depending on what grade of aluminum it can be okay or cheap junk. For example the Trijicon Reflex is made of Investment cast Aluminum, which is designed properly to be strong in a cast application. On the same token, bar stock 6061 Aluminum without the heat treatment won't last very long either (6061 and 7075 aluminum alloys get their strength from the T6 heat treatment process)

The good quality ones are full machined steel or aircraft grade aluminum, and the attachment points/claws are much better quality. You may be able to use the cheap-o mount on the HK, but it very well could crack or break or bend. Good companies like B&T or MFI make good quality stuff, so stick with them IMHO.

The cost difference is with what they use a lot of times, like I said before the cast zinc is pot metal, good for making pins for shirts and stuff... cast aluminum can be more difficult to get a strong casting alloy, as it usually requires a lot of silicon to get it to flow properly (which weakens the alloy). However for a .22 or for airsoft stuff, it's usually adequate.

Bar stock machined steel and alluminum take a LOT more time on a CNC machine but you get a vastly stronger product, and one that can take repeated shocks without weakening.

·
Registered
3,637 Posts
For a real fighting weapon you would be well advised to go with the real HK deal

·
Registered
25 Posts
Yeah, if it's just a range toy no reason to go above and beyond. It's like Primary Arms vs. the real stuff... Have both and don't mix them up!

·
Banned
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, that's the answer i was expecting, it cost more because its a real deal hk copy or part, F22_RaptoR reply blew me away, good reply, thanks. Its going to be a range gun with a cheapy red dot ($100-200) on it so i may just leave it on it. Later if i have extra cash in my gun budget i'll put in for a better sight and mount. I got alot of gun mods on the plate right now though. Next step is getting my hands on a 3 lug 40cal suppressor, ironically called the raptor from what i heard but that's another thread.

·
Registered
768 Posts
I have a TAPCO claw mount on my G3 clone. The scope from Tapco was worthless, but I got a Picatinny adapter and put a regular scope on there. Works great now! Haven't had any loss of zero issues.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Yeah, that's the answer i was expecting, it cost more because its a real deal hk copy or part, F22_RaptoR reply blew me away, good reply, thanks. Its going to be a range gun with a cheapy red dot ($100-200) on it so i may just leave it on it. Later if i have extra cash in my gun budget i'll put in for a better sight and mount. I got alot of gun mods on the plate right now though. Next step is getting my hands on a 3 lug 40cal suppressor, ironically called the raptor from what i heard but that's another thread.
Brand name of course has something to do with it; but once you get above and beyond your standard mid-level cost stuff a lot of the extra cost comes from little finishing details, but materials quality and how it's processed does have a lot to do with it too. Stuff like the SIG mosquito and the Walther P22 have a cast zinc slide, and people were having issues with the slides actually cracking or blowing up (I had a good friend that had his Sig mosquito blow up in his hand, took quite a while for it to heal) but are pretty cheap compared to a nice Ruger Mark II or III, or a Beretta U22.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts