HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own two USP 45's. One is a BB date code that has about 600 rounds through it and looks pristine. The other is a KF date code with probably 6k rounds through it (second owner so I'm guesstimating based on what the original owner told me). Mechanically it's in great shape but was carried as a patrol gun for 15 years so it has pretty good holster wear. I bought it to be my mountain camping/outdoor gun as well as try out new things with (I took a shot at installing the LEM trigger which turned out really well). I've noticed that people seem way more interested in the KF gun then the BB gun. One guy explained that the guns that came in the grey box are more desirable then the ones in the black box.

I know with Sig the older the better but is this true of HK as well? Is it just because of the ILS or is there more to it?

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
There are no real vintages of HK to try and buy like Sig or other makers. There have been upgrades to the platform over the years (if searched for, you'll find them). I would not have any issue with a KF or a BB.

·
Registered
18,641 Posts
Newer date code USP's are more desirable to me because I know they have the latest improvements. But that's just me.

·
Registered
3,250 Posts
1993: Original USP9 and .40.

1994: Reduced the slide weight by 1.1 oz.

1994-95: Change to a polygonal rifled barrel (Prior barrels were standard land and groove)

1994-95: Change trigger transfer bar.

1994-95: Change recoil guide rod to a "captured spring version".

1995: Change trigger mechanism.

1995-96: Add rubber spur to hammer.

1995-96: Change angle on slide lock.

2000: Add locking feature to hammer strut support.

2001: Converted captive recoil spring retainer from c-clip to machined end on USP Compacts.

There were also changes to the Firing pin and firing pin block around 2000 (IIRC). This had to do with some instances of Firing pin breakage directly associated with excessive dry firing of the pistol on an empty chamber.

As far as older guns being more "desirable", I think that is largely about who is looking to buy it. The color of the box really doesn't matter. The newer models certainly have more refinements made to the design, but the older models still work just fine. I could imagine someone who reloads and shoots alot of unjacketed (lead) bullets might want an older gun for the sake of conventional rifling. I've never seen a single reported instance of internal lock failure in any HK pistol, so that is a non-issue.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I have an AF and a KF. On the KF the hammer does not have (for lack of knowlege on the technical term) a "half cock" position, thus make the DA pull longer than the newer ones.

btw, which part should I update to get that half cock position?

·
Registered
18,641 Posts
I have an AF and a KF. On the KF the hammer does not have (for lack of knowlege on the technical term) a "half cock" position, thus make the DA pull longer than the newer ones.

btw, which part should I update to get that half cock position?
New, longer catch and new hammer (with the cut for the new catch).

·
Registered
3,970 Posts
"Are older USP's more desirable then newer ones?"

No. They are all excellent. There really were/are no bad ones or lemons.

That much having been said however: Around 2004-05, they started laser-etching the HK logo in the slide. Personally, I and many others MUCH prefer the rollmarked HK logo than the laser-etched one. Also, several guys have noticed that the laser-etched logo seems to cut through the HE finish on the slide such that rust will sometimes appear in the etching. If you have older style small parts inside your USP, you can easily change them over to the newer style if you want, but if you have a laser-etched slide, you can't have it rollmarked instead. It is what it is. The changeover from rollmarking to laser-etching also coincided with the advent of the colored pistol frames for the USP series. Some colored-frame pistols have the laser-etched slides and some have the rollmarked slides. Generally speaking, many colored-frame USP collectors seek the rollmarked USP slides most highly on their colored frame pistols.

Also, not specifically USP, but the older Mark 23s had a glossier maritime finish than the new ones, and it seems to be more sought after than the newer finish.

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
This is my KG dated stainless usp 45. This is the matte stainless version which I believe they only did for the one year. Not sure if they bring more of a premium or not though.

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
Here's my opinion on the internet. The natural evolution of the internet and Hk will be that at some point, a few random idiots will apply Sig Sauer logic to Hk's. It's the natural progression. Eventually, there will be people on the internet that just feel "nostalgic" and in their heads will assume that because it's German, it's better. they will spew their opinions on the internet as does everyone, myself included and then US made Hk's will be frowned upon. It's like the evolution of dance video. Watch it unfold and laugh.

..you read it here first.

·
Registered
3,970 Posts
. . .in their heads will assume that because it's German, it's better. they will spew their opinions on the internet as does everyone, myself included and then US made Hk's will be frowned upon. . .
Maybe. . . but I think that many/most times that happens because there actually IS a difference between the German-made product and the elsewhere-made product. If the USA-assembled HK handguns continue to be made to the same standards of quality as the German-assembled ones, I think HKs will escape the fate of which you speak. Thus far, there has been no discernible difference (other than slide markings) between the German-assembled HK handguns and the USA-assembled HK handguns. . . nor has there been any difference in financial value.

Now, if at some point in the HK future, the USA-assembled guns start being done poorly as compared to their German counterparts, then you will suddenly see ALL German-assembled HKs jump in value relative to their US cousins.

·
Registered
6 Posts
My USP 45C has a date code of AA and I'm just as happy with it as I would be with one made closer to today. At the end of the day, it works when I need it to and that's all that matters to me.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I have a very early USPf 9mm (early 1994) and a much later version of this same pistol with all the "improvements"---truly don't prefer either over the other---both have been flawless in operation over many many years.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I have a USPc 45 with an AA date code that has been flawless! I considered purchasing a HK 45c but didn't see the point after examining one since it was so similar to my USPc 45.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts