HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to somewhat replicate the look of a stainless slide when I hard chrome my uspc. I know most shops like to brush the slide and matte the rounds, but I believe the SS USP's are 100% brushed any matte finishes, can someone tell me if this is correct?

·
Registered
123 Posts
If I understand you correctly, your question is whether the edges of the slide have the same appearance as the flats? If that's what you asking, the answer is yes. The SS slide is brushed all around.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If I understand you correctly, your question is whether the edges of the slide have the same appearance as the flats? If that's what you asking, the answer is yes. The SS slide is brushed all around.
That was what I was asking. Thanks for the answer.

·
Registered
5,375 Posts
None of the stainless are brushed. H&K did a special run way back for a big wholesaler (not sure if it was Lew Horton or RSR) that was matte bead blasted. Mine look like they were milled and nothing else.

Get your hard chrome in matte. Thats finish when Tripp does not have to do any polishing - he just strips the blue off and hard chromes the white metal. Polishing/brushing flats will cost you more money, obviously because its labor. Each piece of metal takes the hard chrome a little different. I did a .45 that looks very flat gray, a .40sw done same way by Tripp is alot shinier than the .45 is, but both are done in matte Cobra Chrome.

I prefer the matte look on the USP, its non reflective when no oil is present, and looks very business like. Brushed flats look great on pretty pistols like PSP/P7/Colt 1911 tho.

Here is a shot with the matte hard chrome USP .40sw by a USP .45 stainless. Matte hard chrome is the closest match. Brushing will get you a very shiney finish.

*Click thumb nail for large image...I must have posted this image 100 times now...hehe*

·
Registered
123 Posts
None of the stainless are brushed. H&K did a special run way back for a big wholesaler (not sure if it was Lew Horton or RSR) that was matte bead blasted. Mine look like they were milled and nothing else.
If your slide was just milled and nothing else, it would look like total crap, as it would be covered with toolmarks and scratches. All stainless guns that I'm aware of are initially polished to remove surface imperfections. If you don't want a shiny polished surface, your can "matte" it by either bead blasting or brushing. My USP slide is most definitely not bead blasted. To my eyes, it looks very finely brushed (so finely that you can't see the individual brush marks). In fact, the finish looks quite similar to my stainless Omega watch.

·
Registered
5,375 Posts
Obviously there is another step involved after the initial milling process, most likely a brushing to remove the toolmarks. Its definitely not had alot of time spent on extra steps similar to the polished flats on Colt 1911.

I can see brush marks on all my USP stainless slides too. Brushed flats on a USP would be interesting to see. I have seen some that were polished and look like a chrome bumper after the chrome was done...smoother the metal, the more shine chrome will have.

JL post some pictures after you get it back from Tripp!

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Obviously there is another step involved after the initial milling process, most likely a brushing to remove the toolmarks. Its definitely not had alot of time spent on extra steps similar to the polished flats on Colt 1911.

I can see brush marks on all my USP stainless slides too. Brushed flats on a USP would be interesting to see. I have seen some that were polished and look like a chrome bumper after the chrome was done...smoother the metal, the more shine chrome will have.

JL post some pictures after you get it back from Tripp!
Its going to Ford's. I was going to send to trip, but when I talked to the guys a Ford's they were going to be able to do a few things I wanted as well.

·
Registered
5,375 Posts
Cant wait to see it JLStorm! I ran my Cobra Chrome USP .45 today, cant get over how accurate it is, even got to shoot a SA XD.45 today, the owner wasnt doing real great with it - I got a one ragged hole 10 round group with it tho.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Cant wait to see it JLStorm! I ran my Cobra Chrome USP .45 today, cant get over how accurate it is, even got to shoot a SA XD.45 today, the owner wasnt doing real great with it - I got a one ragged hole 10 round group with it tho.
Ya, my USPf 45 is a tack driver, hopefully my USPc 45 will be about as good. Its certainly going to be more concealable when I dont feel like wearing a larger cover garment.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Get your hard chrome in matte. Thats finish when Tripp does not have to do any polishing - he just strips the blue off and hard chromes the white metal. Polishing/brushing flats will cost you more money, obviously because its labor. Each piece of metal takes the hard chrome a little different. I did a .45 that looks very flat gray, a .40sw done same way by Tripp is alot shinier than the .45 is, but both are done in matte Cobra Chrome.

I prefer the matte look on the USP, its non reflective when no oil is present, and looks very business like. Brushed flats look great on pretty pistols like PSP/P7/Colt 1911 tho.

Here is a shot with the matte hard chrome USP .40sw by a USP .45 stainless. Matte hard chrome is the closest match. Brushing will get you a very shiney finish.

*Click thumb nail for large image...I must have posted this image 100 times now...hehe*

The photo of your chromed USP it seems a lot easier to see the underlying HK engraving than other tripp chrome jobs I have seen. Did they do anything differently or is it just the lighting?

·
Registered
5,375 Posts
The back pistol is the stainless .45. Roll marks (KH USP .40 S&W) on front pistol are deep as on any USP, so they show up well. Proof marks/serial number (AB 22 - xxx) are very shallow, the hard chrome pretty much fills those in, under certain light, those show up as a white color under the chrome.

(Probably just the lighting on the picture was right for once)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts