HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to buy a MP5 clone and have seen these on gunbroker....

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=83692555

and

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=83903117

I saw someone else post that the first one is Todd Bailey selling via gunbroker. The second one has the seller as Special Weapons. I guess my questions is, are these two clones any good? Is one better than the other as far as reliability/durability? I've read that the new Cohaire Arms guns aren't bad. Can someone please sort this out for me...if you were to get into your first 9mm MP5 or MP5K or HK 94 or SP89 what route would you go? Eventually I'd like to SBR and suppress.

TIA

·
Registered
886 Posts
Price seems high, after you add the cost of assembly and finishing it; one could easily have $1800+ into the project.

Bill

·
Registered
422 Posts
In regards to your first web link listed above, of it where me, I would try to find a genuine H&K parts kit and SW receiver and go from there.

The build is so close yet so far. Really what they have for sale is a bunch of SW(POF?) parts.

Like what was mentioned before the cost of the build and refinish is close to $800, not to mention 3-6 month wait.

Again just to reiterate, if it where me and I was going to do a custom build, I would start with an SW recevier and H&K parts kit. In the end you will have a very fine weapon.

·
Registered
6,396 Posts
I'm looking to buy a MP5 clone and have seen these on gunbroker....

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=83692555

and

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=83903117

I saw someone else post that the first one is Todd Bailey selling via gunbroker. The second one has the seller as Special Weapons. I guess my questions is, are these two clones any good? Is one better than the other as far as reliability/durability? I've read that the new Cohaire Arms guns aren't bad. Can someone please sort this out for me...if you were to get into your first 9mm MP5 or MP5K or HK 94 or SP89 what route would you go? Eventually I'd like to SBR and suppress.

TIA
The first one is NOT a good deal. You can get that gun already assembled directly from Coharie Arms for $1,000, with a Duracoat finish.

The second is marked up a bit (at $1,200, if you do the "buy it now" thing) because of limited availability. They were much more popular than they expected and have been trying to make more to meet demand. I have one from a recent production run and like it. I think they are the only ones who are currently making an SP89 clone, and it's a pretty good one.

To recap:

I'd say "NO" to #1, and "HELL YES" to #2.

Edit: Oh, and I guess I just noticed that the second is a NFA weapon version of the CA89k, making it worth a bit more than I earlier stated. I'm tempted to "buy now" for that price. ;)

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, after a little deliberation and retrodogs advise (thanks) I went in for the second one. I'll let you all know how it turns out.

Still if folks have experience with this model, please tell how it has turned out for you.

Thanks

·
Registered
220 Posts
Sunnybean,
I actually have a BW-89, SP-89 and a CA-89K. Purchased in that order....
Obviously the SP-89 is the nicest piece but in my oppinion the BW is nicer than the CA when it comes to fit and finish. Sure the BW does not have the rear receiver tabs or the correct cocking tube but after receiving the CA and looking it over, etc, I am just not happy with it. The paddle mag release has a lot of play side to side and barely releases the mag when fully depressed.
I know that there was quite a wait for these CA pieces but it seems like there was a flood of them all at once even though the seller stated that there were only 3 in the run.
My plan is to sell both my BW and CA even though I was looking for a cheap shooter. The CA I bought for $1200 "BIN", $40 S&H, $15 Transfer and $36 to write myself one of those CC checks so I could purchase it. Basically if someone offered me the $1291 that I have into it and paid shipping it would be in the mail the next day.
The BW for the reasons mentioned above... I am a little more hesitant to let go especially since they do not make them anymore.
My humble oppinion.
TC

1 - 6 of 6 Posts