HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Requiescat In Pace
3,807 Posts
Ironically a fairly accurate account of the development of the HKM4 later called the HK416. What the writer misses is the fact that the HK416 design was first shown at a USSOCOM-conducted PMOD (Platform MODification) conference in the US a full year earlier then mentined here. The USSOCOM was looking for improvements to the M4 to be made based ont eh results of a draft report on M4 shortcomings in USSOCOM. Colt and the US Army would not hear of it so they went out to industry for ideas. HK (Ernst Maunch, Volker Kurtz, Jim Schatz) traveled to the PMOD Conference and debuted to the SOF community the op rod mods to the M4 in a monolithic receiver design that would later become the HKM4 design but with detachable rail system. MSG Steve Holland then with 5th Special Forces Group stood up in the meeting and congratulated HK for taking on such a task (with their own funds) that no one to date had been willing to do. In the end the PMOD project was cancelled as a result of pressure from Colt and the Army as Colt lawyers had the Army backed contractually in a corner - that only Colt could make such mods to their M4. HK never the less continued its work on the PMOD concept. When we did approach Larry's unit for 5 M4's we also approached others for M4 host guns to make the mods and produce technology demonstrators (US M4's with German mods - op rod gas system, HK bolt and buffer, etc.) but on standard issue USG lowers. Steve Holland provided 15 M4's for this work. Five M4 were modified and numerous samples were carried into the sand box by US troops for eval. One upper sample was mounted on a plaque and presented to Ernst Mauch for his courage, dedication and expertise to fix what had remained wrong in the M4 since 1991/94.

Was good to see in this article that the engineers at HK GmbH who designed, fabricated and tested the HKM4/HK416 to success finally got mentioned and the credit they deserve.

G3Kurz

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Thanks G3 kurz for the history lesson. Glad that you, LAV, Ernst Mauch, Steve Holland, the HK Engineers and the 5th Special Forces Group pursued the project and improved the M4! The troops deserve the best!

·
Registered
128 Posts
I have that magazine, it's a great article. I know this is a HK forum, but the other articles on some other AR platforms are nice reads also. After reading the other aricles, I pre-ordered the LWRC M6IC.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I have that magazine, it's a great article. I know this is a HK forum, but the other articles on some other AR platforms are nice reads also. After reading the other aricles, I pre-ordered the LWRC M6IC.
The M6 Individual Carbine looks impressive nice that they use AAC out of the box, what was the cost?

Why HK would offer the mr556 without a AGR is beyond me.

·
Registered
128 Posts
SOCOMIISEAL - The cost is about $2,300 - $2,500. My LGS hasn't received their cost yet. By what I've seen online, they are averaging $2,500 - $2,700.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Anytime. Everyone I talk too about this rifle begins to drool. Some of the guys at my LGS want to shoot is after I take possession of it.....LOL

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
I thought some might just want the picture. I took the liberty of removing a little cluttered text.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts