HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I was very happy to see that my check for my Form 1 had cleared yesterday. Does this mean I was approved or do they cash the check to start the paperwork?

I mailed (from Kansas) the check and paperwork on Jan. 4th and the checked cleared on Jan. 15th. Does the ATF usually work this fast? How long does it usually take to get approval back after they cash your check? Just wondering for next time if I get the chance to purchase or build another SBR.

Looking forward to finally turning my HK94(clone) into a SBR. :)

·
1,243 Posts
It usually clears very quickly, but then it'll take a few weeks to get into their system. The approval times are running approximately 4-6 weeks after check clearing

·
Premium Member
1,025 Posts
Ya, they want to cash to check early.

I wonder if they many bounced checks. If you can afford to buy.... and feed the gun all that ammo... you should be able to pay the tax.

Imagine if they sent you your stamp and then the check bounced... To have them knock on your door and take it back!! :)

·
Registered
630 Posts
When I first applied for to SBR my AKS-74U back in 2004, when they were in D.C. it took 5 months to get my approved form back. Which believe it or not, was the aveage time to get a approved form back.

When I applied for my second SBR, in mid 2007 when they moved to W. Va. I got the approve form back in 28 days. But ever since people have found about trust, in the later year of 2007, it took 45 days for my third form 1 to come back. Still a whole lot faster then when they were in D.C.

You have to relieze that the NFA branch is not that large, they have maybe 5 or 6 examiners, the ones that actually do the approvals and sign the forms, one of them does nothing but SOT processing, so that leaves like 4 or 5 to do all that processing. And with the influx of trust applications that is just going to put more paperwork on their plate then they normally would have. Still 45 days, is a far cry better from 5 months.

So be patient, it will come.

·
Registered
166 Posts
The paperwork goes to Atlanta and that's where they pull the funds and cash your check. Then your packet goes on to their offices in WV where it will be assigned to an examiner and get approved.

If you want to check on the status of your paperwork, call the NFA branch at 304-616-4490 and tell them that you're calling to check on the status of your Form 4. You'll need the serial number for your NFA item.

You're probably looking at another 4 weeks (minimum) after they've cashed your check.

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
I've another incoming full-auto firearm but it has been three weeks since the seller sent his paper work to ATF.
As of today, ATF still didn't cash my check... should I worry or is this normal?
The paper is requesting to transfer seller's firearm to my class 3 dealer.

P.S. didn't mean to steal your thread. :)

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The paperwork goes to Atlanta and that's where they pull the funds and cash your check. Then your packet goes on to their offices in WV where it will be assigned to an examiner and get approved.

I sent Form 1 to WV as stated on the Form.

Form 4 goes to Atlanta.

·
Registered
120 Posts
When I first applied for to SBR my AKS-74U back in 2004, when they were in D.C. it took 5 months to get my approved form back. Which believe it or not, was the aveage time to get a approved form back.

When I applied for my second SBR, in mid 2007 when they moved to W. Va. I got the approve form back in 28 days. But ever since people have found about trust, in the later year of 2007, it took 45 days for my third form 1 to come back. Still a whole lot faster then when they were in D.C.

You have to relieze that the NFA branch is not that large, they have maybe 5 or 6 examiners, the ones that actually do the approvals and sign the forms, one of them does nothing but SOT processing, so that leaves like 4 or 5 to do all that processing. And with the influx of trust applications that is just going to put more paperwork on their plate then they normally would have. Still 45 days, is a far cry better from 5 months.

So be patient, it will come.

I'll admit that I'm ignorant in this instance. What is the trust issue about? What are people doing? What does it help protect, etc.? How do you go about it?

·
Merchant of Death (Admin)
11,890 Posts
Folks,
Can we please steer this back to an HK related discussion?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts