HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

i am awaiting shipment of the R8, australian version of the sl8. (should be here in march)

However, the rifle comes shipped with a rather ugly looking picattiny rail on it. as you can see below..

From the picture, can any of the experienced members tell me if the handle/scope of the g36 will fit on it?,, or the normal sl8 picattiny rail ( the long one)?

i want to replace that rail with something different- any ideas? or contacts who sells stuff and posts to AUS?

i know the pic is blurry but its the best one i could get from HK australia.

Thanks for the help

[/URL] [/img]

·
Registered
3,466 Posts
With "normal" picatinny you will have trouble with operating charging handle after each shot. That's possibly why HK designed ugly, high one. However G36 carrying handle shouldn't be a problem.

·
Registered
49 Posts
But like aren't civilians banned from owning guns in Australia now? I'm surprised a civil war didn't break out down there...

·
Registered
9 Posts
But like aren't civilians banned from owning guns in Australia now? I'm surprised a civil war didn't break out down there...
That was the hidden agenda, to stop one breaking out, take a look at what our government is doing to destroy our rights, gun ownership gone, workers rights gone, the right to start new political parties gone.... and they aren't stopping!

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
wow, sounds like some sort of communist rouse :p

anyways. The SL8 your getting has the double stack mags also (like the Canadian and european SL8-4/5) ? I find it interesting that they would include a different optic handle for the Australian SL8, but i suppose anything is possible.

By the looks, you could take a dremel, or even a hack saw, and cut the front section off. Then use a sanding block to even up the front, lining it up with say, the second or 3rd recoil slot over the front pin. Thats if the rail is plastic. If its alluminum, then sell it and buy a short plastic (or alluminum) one (the alluminum ones are more expencive, but better)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The Australian version sl8 is modified into a basic bolt pull action rifle in order to sell in the AUS market, so there isnt any gas system inside like the US counterparts. Its just like a standard bolt-action centrefire.

Lead Accelerator, HKsystems down in Melbourne has a shipment coming in march of 500 rifles as a test batch kinda thing. Word is they are going like hotcakes.
retail for $2500.
www.hksystems.com.au

Hey , were not COMPLETELY banned from owning guns, just the cool ones. Basically all we can get is hunting rifles that are bolt action or lever or pump. NOthing Semi Auto , Nothing with more that 10 shots. boring as crap , but what do you do.

It looks like i will have to cut the factory rail down, its just too ugly the way it is. I had a feeling the standard rail would impede the cocking but i picked up a normal sl8 rail from a user on this forum damn IMO is taking 12 years to get to the US! argh

QUESTION: Are the double stack mags long? i would love to grab a dbl stack thats as long as the single stack US versions. Looks so much nicer..

·
Registered
11 Posts
THis thread deserves a picture- this is the R8 that will be coming to Australia-

Actually I will believe it when I see it.

As far as longer magazines go- maybe permanently blocked hi cap mags could be obtained?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hey , were not COMPLETELY banned from owning guns, just the cool ones. Basically all we can get is hunting rifles that are bolt action or lever or pump. NOthing Semi Auto , Nothing with more that 10 shots. boring as crap , but what do you do.
So, are you allowed to own handguns? Revolvers? Were existing firearms grandfathered?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Handguns of less than .38 caliber and 10 shot capacity, no compact pistols or revolvers. They're tightly regulated. Banned guns had to be surrendered for compensation. They were all destroyed.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Geez, just when you thought the Sl8 couldn't get any worse…maybe they’ll come out with a black powder or CO2 version one day.

On a side note, I was in Hobart (working for the Australia post) when the Port Author shootings* happened. Neat place but a very sad day for those folks...BUT it sure wasn't a gun's fault. I hope the shooter is everones "girlfriend" in prison if he's still alive.

*For those in the US who may not remember, it's when things got really bad for gun owners in Australia.

PBR

·
Registered
32 Posts
so, 10 round , dbl stacked magazines that are as long as the US ones do Not exist?
Alfred,

Over here on the other side of the ditch a lot of guys use Steyr Aug mags cut to legal length. They're MUCH cheaper than HK mags because our army uses them like yours. The conversion is really simple and you can select any length or capacity you like (up to 30 rnds) to do the cut off. You could try this if it's legal to have a longer mag in OZ. We can still use hi-cap mags in semi autos if we have the right "ticket", having said that, I have yet to see an SL8 that has that ticket. Our maximum legal capacity in a semi auto without the ticket is 7 rnds. Or... you could always move here. Always got room for a few more shooters.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Handguns of less than .38 caliber and 10 shot capacity, no compact pistols or revolvers. They're tightly regulated. Banned guns had to be surrendered for compensation. They were all destroyed.
thats the nexed step for us in the U.S.A.
it will be easy after they take all the ammo away...and after a few years of not shooting them why would you want to keep them...right?

Duke

·
Registered
11 Posts
The conversion is really simple and you can select any length or capacity you like (up to 30 rnds) to do the cut off. You could try this if it's legal to have a longer mag in OZ.
Nice one, unfortunately all Steyr mags in Aus are government property and never get surplused. So if you have one in Australia, it means it's stolen.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Not to worry, looks like even these rifles were too scary for the authorities and since Monday have been banned from import and prohibited in most States and Territories.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I've put an email into HKsystems.com.au to find out whether this is true.
There was an article in Australian Shooter magazine, which was a review, maybe this is related.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
your better believe it Yossarian- its coming...

i recieved a call a few weeks back from HK melbourne, apparantly the shipment of the first r8's has been delayed until june.

fingers crossed it gets over the line before some new law of some kind is created.

But i was also told there werent that many units left. i dont know how true that is.

nzhk- would love to jump the ditch for a crack at a bull tahr one day, i read there is some awesome trophy hunting to be had there.

lucky b******'s

1 - 20 of 58 Posts