HKPRO Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did the HK33 made by HK (not a licensed clone or converted HK93) have the full polymer A2 stock, or the steel receiver-capped A2 stock? Any factory dealer-sample pictures would also be appreciated.

Also, for the HK33E, were the receivers marked HK33 or HK33E? I thought the "E" was only a catalog designation for the improvements made after the original HK33 was introduced.

For licensed copies (MKE, FMP, etc) how were thay marked? G33?

Thanks.

·
Teufelshund Tactical
7,560 Posts
HK offered them with either A2 or A3 stocks. The Export models were marked HK33E or HK33KE. Not sure about the copies you mentioned.

·
Vendor
8,218 Posts
Factory guns came with the steel end cap A2 as those had buffers in them. Contract guns had the MP5 type as contract guns came with buffered carriers.

·
Vendor
8,218 Posts
Any information on why the contract guns had buffered carriers? Time line, improvements and/or cost savings?
Not a clue. Not even sure if it is 100% accurate although I have confirmed with a couple of folks but even they admit it's not a 100% definitive. My guess is that it is cheaper for the extra machine work on the carrier than all the extra for a buffered stock.

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Then that raises the question of how certain dated parts came into being. I purchased a HK93 that had been demilled. It came with the buffered carrier in the S/A configuration. It was in mint condition. That is prior to meeting the chop saw. IB date code on the carrier.

·
Vendor
8,218 Posts
It is possible that HK grab some from a contract house. A lot of what happened in the roller lock era is lost with those employees that are no longer with HK. I have also seen early HK 33 dealer samples with buffered carriers but I do not think that it was a standard configuration for HK.

·
Registered
893 Posts
This is just a theory, but if you look at the older HK literature and older pictures, when they were all divided into "groups", all the early 32's and 33's had the MP5 style plastic stock (no steel back plate), which would indicate that they all had the buffered carrier. There was a post here not too long ago saying that the HK43's also came like this. So I think any "correct" configuration would be based on the time period in which it was made. They obviously moved from the plastic stock/buffered carrier to the buffered steel back plate at some point in time (mid 70's maybe?). Again, just a theory based on observations.
As far as contract guns, the Malay guns are marked "HK33" and "5.56x45" on the left, and "ATM XX..XX" on the right, as can be seen from demilled pieces. I don't know if these were actually manufactured in Germany or not, read conflicting things, and can't find any evidence on the kit either way.

ETA:
Pic from mil photos, reported to be Thai, from this thread: http://www.militaryphotos.net/forums/showthread.php?87502-HK33E-Around-the-World

And an aside, from the same thread, a bullpup HK33:

·
Registered
555 Posts
The type of stock depends on the type of carrier. It is an age thing. The older guns had the all plastic stock with the buffer in the carrier. It really is that simple.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Wow, fascinating. I have a pre-May sample HK33 dated 1975. Its stock appears to be identical to the stock on my pre-May MP5. After reading this thread, I looked at the carrier and sure enough, it has a little protrusion on the top-right of the back, looking at the back. Is this the buffer?

·
Vendor
8,218 Posts
Good info here. I was always under the impression that only the contract guns used buffered carriers but it is obvious now that it is rather a matter of age, not country of manufacture.

Thanks for the info!

·
Registered
3,632 Posts
This thread helped me figure out some questions I had.. now one more.. are there buffered A3 stocks or are all of them designed to be used with buffered carriers? Which type are the new HK33/93 A3 stocks? I can get them direct from an HK distributor for my build, that's why I ask. I am going to buy an Apex parts kit for the build

·
Registered
893 Posts
There have to be buffered A3 stocks out there, as the HK93 had a non-buffered carrier with a factory A3 stock.
I've got a new one at home I can look.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.