HKPRO Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying out my MP5-SD clone (TPM build gun with TPM suppressor) and I want to make sure that I do not get a baffle strike since I am fairly new to suppressors. I inspected the gun and suppressor and everything looks fine, but is there anything else I need to do to make sure I don't do something dumb, as in something a newbie would not think of? Thanks

·
Registered
452 Posts
Number one is don’t use random ammo in bags or reloads. Use factory ammo. Other than that I’m not sure there is much else you can do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Premium Member
8,631 Posts
I am trying out my MP5-SD clone (TPM build gun with TPM suppressor) and I want to make sure that I do not get a baffle strike since I am fairly new to suppressors. I inspected the gun and suppressor and everything looks fine, but is there anything else I need to do to make sure I don't do something dumb, as in something a newbie would not think of? Thanks
Making sure its threaded on completely and stays tight is the main thing.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Thanks - do the SD suppressors tend to back off? I know other direct thread suppressors may back off during firing
Any suppressor can back off. The thing is you have to make sure it doesn’t back off by tightening but at the same time you have to take it off every 300 or so rounds and use a brush and clean off the threads otherwise the suppressor could get stuck permanently.

·
Premium Member
210 Posts
Making sure its threaded on completely and stays tight is the main thing.
Speaking of when I attach mine to my sons USP 9 I use the pitch adapter problem is left hand thread it seems hard to get it right comes loose all time. But when I use on sp5 with tri lug adapter never a problem

·
Registered
4,467 Posts
The TPM Outfitters suppressor (and others) has a ring that rests at the barrel tip to align the suppressor. Look at my pictures 1, 2, and 5 here:

It is the first "ring" piece past the large blast chamber (which is the rightmost item in the baffle stack).

Just make sure you pay attention to which direction that piece is pointing when you disassemble and reassemble the suppressor.

Moral of the story: make sure the suppressor is firmly attached and it will self-align.

·
HK Shooting Team
2,871 Posts
And be aware that TPM had some bad end pieces that cause bullet strikes and loss of accuracy....if your rounds scatter like an IC shotgun choke, you’ll know you have a dud! Good luck!

·
Registered
3,211 Posts
Also dont use 147gr or heavier loads that are subsonic out of the gate.

·
Premium Member
77 Posts
Making sure the can is on tight is the most important thing, if you ever have groups all over the place...the can is not screwed on all the way. Make sure you have your barrel centering plate in the right place if you have opened it up. Honestly it's pretty safe/low risk.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Also dont use 147gr or heavier loads that are subsonic out of the gate.
Never heard this before. Granted I shot have this firearm, but I run 158 grain sub's all day in my Stribog. No issues. Its much more fun subsonic.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,211 Posts
Never hea
rd this before. Granted I shot have this firearm, but I run 158 grain sub's all day in my Stribog. No issues. Its much more fun subsonic.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
Your stribog dosent have a ported barrel ahead of the chamber that bleeds gas from the barrel and takes supersonic 124gr NATO spec ammo to subsonic levels while suppressing the round.

Shooting subsonic rounds especially heavy for caliber 147gr to 158gr projos through a ported SD barrel will slow them even further, possibly substantially enough that it becomes possible to have a baffle strike.

If you wanna shoot subs in standard non SD mp5 with your can then thats not an issue at all.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Your stribog dosent have a ported barrel ahead of the chamber that bleeds gas from the barrel and takes supersonic 124gr NATO spec ammo to subsonic levels while suppressing the round.

Shooting subsonic rounds especially heavy for caliber 147gr to 158gr projos through a ported SD barrel will slow them even further, possibly substantially enough that it becomes possible to have a baffle strike.

If you wanna shoot subs in standard non SD mp5 with your can then thats not an issue at all.
What he said. The MP5 and MP5SD are different animals. Many people don’t realize the SD has holes in the barrel which blow off gas to slow down the bullet to subsonic speed. The best part about the SD is you can shoot 115 or 124gr ammo and it slows down to subsonic speed. No need to pay for expensive 147+ grain ammo with the SD. Plus as mentioned the 147+ grain ammo will just perform worse and either cause a baffle strike or the BCG will not cycle correctly. Plus the 147gr stuff will be way too slow with the SD blowing off the gasses.

Anyone know of any other guns like the SD that have the barrel ports to slow down the bullets? I don’t…

Some pictures of my SD barrel ports that slow down the bullet:

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Thanks - do the SD suppressors tend to back off? I know other direct thread suppressors may back off during firing
Not in my experience, the o ring does a great job of holding the can snug without needing to be tight.

I've got a German SD so it may be different than a TPM, but the advice to tighten the can down is a no go. It doesn't need to be tight, just backed up against the O ring. I always check to make sure it's not very tight, to avoid carbon lock as well as reduce the rate I go through O rings.

As long as you use good ammo you should be fine, unless you get one of TPM's problem cans.

·
Registered
627 Posts
It's been said, but the O-ring will keep it from un-screwing.

Also, I shoot 147's in my SD all day, and they shoot great. They chrono about 850 or so, but they ring steel just fine.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Be aware and ,Just make sure you pay attention to which direction that piece is pointing when you disassemble and reassemble the suppressor.. if you don't well that's gonna be the problem.

·
Premium Member
2,337 Posts
I chrono'd the 115 grain FMJ's out of my Coharie SD. The ported barrel, as mentiond above, reduced the FPS by appx 225 FPS.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Number one is don’t use random ammo in bags or reloads. Use factory ammo. Other than that I’m not sure there is much else you can do.

I've shot thousands of reloads and never had any issues with baffle strikes.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts