HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking about putting a AWC RAIDER supressor on my HK53 and was wondering if the can would create enough back pressure so I would have to change my #15 locking piece to a #3 to prevent any roller marks on the reciever???????????????????????????????

·
HKPRO PRIME MINISTER
1,293 Posts
AWC Raider Unit...

Money,

I use the KNIGHTS 5.56 unit on my HK-53 with-out an issue... I have no indication of severe roller marks using the 15' locking piece...

I'm not sure about the AWC Raider Unit... Pressure difference may be more or less with each can used...

Buy 3' L.P. to be sure...

·
Registered
532 Posts
You will want to be very sure of the alignment of the can to the rifled bore before firing any shot through there. One of the reasons why AWC products are quiet for their size has to do with the minimal clearance of the suppressor baffles and bore to the bullet - this means any misalignment of the suppressor can cause baffle strikes, esp. when you consider that the heavier bullets won't be fully stabilized when they leave that short barrel.

I found that my HK53 factory threads are not perfectly bore concentric, meaning that the smith who finished my barrel chose speed of machine work over perfection and my TROS thread adaptor to 1/2-28 is off just enough to make me leery about mounting my Raider. The same is true for my HK Factory '93 (HK33E), so I have no chance to try the Raider out on the HK33E, either - as much as I'd like to. When a cleaning rod is slid down the bore through the mounted can, the bottom of the rod touches the bottom of the blast baffle on the can - so a strike is very likely.

My Raider pretty much serves duty only my G36 conversion these days.

The '53 is designed for small size, easy handling, and lightweight. I have heard from others that the suppression is not very good on such a short barrel anyway, so my curiosity never got high enough to try very hard. Let us know how it works out,

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I called AWC today & they said they would need my gun to custom fit the supressor to the barrel & to make shure it is alligned okay to prevent baffle strikes. They also said that they have shot the Raider on short barrels before with no problems as long as the supressor was fitted properly. If I did possibly have a baffle strike the repair would be $60.00 to repair. The Raider is fully welded & can hold up to fullauto fire but the service life will obviously be shortened with the shorter barrel that I have. I called Gemtec , SWR & AAC & all of them reccomended against a supressor for a HK53 & said the supressor would not last long at all due to the extreme muzzle blast of the HK53 plus they all said baffle strikes would eventually happen but maybe muzzle strikes might be eliminated with the AWC can since they allign the bore according to the threads unlike other companies.

·
Registered
532 Posts
I have had AWC do barrel work for me in the past, and their work is great. Plus, if you have a problem with baffle strikes down the road and can prove that they aligned the bore and checked tolerances, it could make your $60 repair go a lot easier.

Most other manufacturers probably charge a lot more than that for a repair, and AWC refinished my Raider for $20 about 2-3 years ago. I'd definitely use them again.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts