HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,649 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today was a rainy, slushy, dreary kind of day....perfect for reloading and hitting the range!! With my recent interest and enthusiasm for suppressed shooting, I haven't had my Expert out to stretch her legs in quite awhile. In fact the last time she saw daylight, other folks were shooting her. Today was my turn. It's funny how when you don't use a really nice gun in awhile you sort of forget how awesome it is. I really enjoyed reacquainting myself with this pistol....kind of like reuniting with an old but still hot girlfriend. Hehe.

Anyway, I sent the target out to 20-25 ft and sent my first 10 rounds down range. I like to use my ten round mags at the range because I reload and I'm a little nuts about reloading batches of multiples of ten. So.......my first group was a bit loose. I haven't been to the range for myself in a few months. I've been with others to help them shoot and have sent a couple rounds for demonstration, but not for practice. I was a little ashamed at how open that first group was. My next group had a flyer, but was tighter overall; still not how I normally shoot. When I last had my Mark 23 out, my group was tight; all rounds in the same silver dollar sized hole. These groups were okay, but not where i like to be. It's not the gun. It's me. I need to visit the range more frequently for me. My next group tightened up even more, but there were two ragged holes instead of one.....not sure how I did that.

Next I took out my .45 Tactical and mounted the suppresor. I did much better with that pistol. I had loaded some very tame ammo to see how it would do with the suppressor. Muzzle velocity should have been around 720 fps. The ejected casings toppled out of the ejection port with a low arc and landed right at my feet. I was a little worried that I'd have extraction problems, but the gun cycled just fine and she was really soft. Between the recoil reduction of the dual return springs, the tame powder charge and the weight and effect of the suppressor, it almost felt like a .22 lr. My groups were very tight except for one flyer. Sometimes the match trigger trips before I'm ready.

Lastly, I hauled out my LAR Grizzly in .45 win mag. I haven't shot that one indoors in about two years. I had forgotten how much muzzle blast that thing has. While I was shooting my HKs, there was some yahoo two lanes down chuckling about his 44 rem mag revolver and it's muzzle blast. He was having fun and I don't like to discourage that, but he thought it was funny how others were startled when he fired his gun. When I touched off the first round of .45 win mag, the range lit up and a deep throaty whollop of a concussion blew through the lanes. Even with my ear protection on I heard, "HOLY S**T! WHAT WAS THAT?!!!!" from his lane. I sent the rest of the mag down range and packed up and left.

What a super fun day. Now I'm headed down stairs to the man cave to load up some ammo.

·
Banned
188 Posts
Pics or it didn't happen.

·
Registered
3,649 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'll get some pics of the targets tomorrow. For now, here are some pics of the guns. Below is an older pic. The middle pistola is the Expert. I didn't have the UTL on it today.

The Tactical. No illuminator today...

The Grizz and caliber conversion kits

I should also add that on the way home from the range I listened to Led Zepplin REALLY LOUD and drove REALLY FAST..... hehe

·
Banned
188 Posts
That Grizzly is absolutely EPIC! Nice man, thanks for sharing!

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
Great pictures budd, thanks for sharing. The Expert looks fantastic!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts