HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Started off with H&K USP45 in 2008 or so... I had to sell it for an emergency and never was able to get one again. I got into M&Ps because of LEO/MIL affordability and they are truly reliable weapons and still my favorite for duty and off duty carry...

Well, I got some money saved up and I wanted to treat myself to something really really special. I thought about a Desert Eagle, FN 5.7 and a GAP-10 rifle or a AR-50... Then I read about the Mk23, and a light switch went on! This was a pistol that I always wanted, but I knew I would never ever spend the money for!!! and I had the oppurtunity to go wild this time! so I went and got it :) I had a budget of 3,000 so it worked out very well for me... I still got about 1200 or so to play with. I'm thinking either a suppressor, or go ahead and get the 5.7 or a .50AE desert eagle as well.

I know they are rather large and not the most practial. but it's a truly unique pistol. I've never seen anyone own one. only saw it once at a gun show.

Pretty badass... FWIW it was designed to be an 'offensive' pistol for SOCOM in the '90s and went into service in '96. I'm not sure if it's still used.

I think it's a piece of history in tactical pistols. one of the most rugged/durable/accurate pistols ever made is what I've heard.

I present you HK Mk23

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
While doing my research, I also found this information (I think it was here) worth a read!!!

(Start of Frogman post)

You can’t really tell the Mk 23 story without telling parts of the Beretta and SIG story, as well. The Beretta 92F was largely the result of a specific SEAL Team urging Beretta to modify a few things with the standard 92 for the unit’s use. Things like moving the magazine release from the butt to the frame, re-shaping the trigger guard…etc. This particular SEAL Team had Beretta 92F’s before the U.S. military ever went to the “M9”. During the testing for the new U.S. standard issue sidearm SIG actually slightly outperformed the Beretta. I was told that it wasn’t chosen because Beretta slightly beat the price point over SIG. The real answer is probably a bit more complicated than that, but Beretta did eventually win . The trials lasted a long time during which life went on in the Teams…until Berettas starting failing in the SEAL Teams. I remember those days well. The Teams had a lot of loyalty to the pistol, but all of that ended when Beretta publicly accused the Teams of routinely firing “hot” ammo through the guns. Not a true statement. The Teams dropped the Beretta and were authorized to purchase an “interim” handgun to fill the bill until the ink was dry on the government standard sidearm contract. The Teams bought SIGs and began a loyalty o that system which persists even still.

It wasn’t too long before Army SOF began to sour on the Beretta. Their problem was that they already had M1911A1’s on their TOA&E. The military being what it is, you can only have one caliber of a particular type of like equipment. Army SOF began to work the issue by conceptualizing an “Offensive Handgun” different in definition and .45 ACP. This was just post Desert Storm. SEAL SIGs had been in inventory for 2-3 years and folks were starting to recall that the P226 was only an “interim” buy. Someone was caught using improper justification for a second purchase of SIGs by Congress. During the dust-up which followed Army SOF approached Navy SOF through Crane with the “Offensive Handgun” concept. The Navy could take the lead on the project and if it came off both the Army and Navy SOF would enjoy a new .45 cal handgun. The “Offensive Handgun” project felt the influences of many opinionated pistoleros. A long list of features was drawn up.

Eventually both Colt and HK submitted Phase One Prototypes for endurance testing. I was actually one of the SEALs who had to fire 30,000 rounds through a Colt and HK pistol over the course of a week in 1994 and document every failure. Not as fun as you might think.

We also took the revamped (Phase Two) prototypes to Rogers’ Shooting School for testing (that was fun) in early 1995. I and several other SEAL Team “bullet heads” went to the testing with malice in our hearts not only for the gun but the very concept of the gun. Our intent was to shoot it better than anyone else and then slam it in the critiques.

The gun grew on us haters. That simple. It was dead accurate, big- yes, but manageable. With a suppressor on it is unlike any other handgun.

It was finally issued around 1996 or so. I used it in winter warfare a lot, for over the beach work and diving. I preferred my SIG for assaults. Later in my career I did a lot more diving and over the beach work. The Mk 23 was awesome at that stuff. It is the best weapon to have in a hide site when lying up with a Team in a concealed position. You can bring it to bear day or night on anyone sneaking up on you. It is accurate even after blowing through your hide site material, the suppressor is pretty quiet and the LAM lets you get away with a lot. I used it and trained many other SEALs to use it very capably. The SEAL Teams that did not dive as much as, say, SDV Teams neglected their Mk 23’s. The Mk 23’s strengths were not as obvious to those guys who weren’t swimming and diving all the time. Last year a message came out to turn in all Mk 23’s to Crane. At least one SDV Team flatly refused. A few other Teams suddenly decided they should keep a “few”. So those at NAVSPECWARCOM who had sent the message in the first place restricted the expenditure of .45 ammo, instead. SDV Teams now have Mk 23s but no ammo allowance. They even ordered S&W 686’s from Crane to outfit their guys because a SIG will not survive a long dive very well. I know of a handful of guys who have taken their issue Mk 23’s overseas since the ammo cut-off because they know they can get the ammo there and have actually carried them in missions far from the water.

That’s the story in nutshell. What else would you like to know?

Frogman

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Great pistol, enjoy and congrats. I would have been split on that GAP though, but George and CO will be cranking those out for a while; and the 23 is history.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Looks fantastic. I am jealous... I've never seen one in person before. My LGS had one a few months ago that a customer had ordered but they never called me to come see it (I'm close with them). Good luck with it!

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Great pistol, enjoy and congrats. I would have been split on that GAP though, but George and CO will be cranking those out for a while; and the 23 is history.
Well I have this 'toy' fund that I put money towards, so I will order the GAP-10 before end of year. I just could have rushed it and ordered it now. but I wanted to get something truly unique with the money that I had. in the world of tactical pistols, I don't think it gets more unique than one of these...

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
U should have shot the 23 better than that mines like dead nuts good pickup

·
Gets the Shakes if No HK Contact in 24 Hour Period
1,023 Posts
Great choice! the MK23 is a great gun!!

Just be glad you didn't fall for the Five-Seven. I mean it's a unique gun (design, weight, ammo).... but in the civilian world with civilian ammo it doesn't have much purpose. Unless you plan on hunting squirrels with a $1,000+ gun :wink:
I'm always amused when folks try to convince others that the Five-Seven is a great choice for home-defense or carry. right... we have been told for decades that the 9mm with 128-147gr lacks stopping power (wrong argument), yet a tiny 22gr bullet should be a great choice? ;)

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Great choice! the MK23 is a great gun!!

Just be glad you didn't fall for the Five-Seven. I mean it's a unique gun (design, weight, ammo).... but in the civilian world with civilian ammo it doesn't have much purpose. Unless you plan on hunting squirrels with a $1,000+ gun :wink:
I'm always amused when folks try to convince others that the Five-Seven is a great choice for home-defense or carry. right... we have been told for decades that the 9mm with 128-147gr lacks stopping power (wrong argument), yet a tiny 22gr bullet should be a great choice? ;)
tell that to the army and their 62gr bullet! LOL

or the families of 13 people that died with the 5.7x29 from an FN five-seven in Ft Hood :(

I'm a fan of 9mm. I've seen it work first hand. I carry 9mm whenever I can... I'll always take shot placement and extra ammo.

BUT, as we know that's a looong arguement :)

I got this pistol not because of caliber, or practically. Let's be honest, I will never CCW this thing, and I will never off duty carry it, it will sit and wait to be shot :) probably THE pistol to take if I could only take one. should go forever without breaking down.

I got this pistol because it's one of the rarest semi auto (modern) pistols that I know of with proven background. yes it's HUGE and YES i love that!

the 5.7 is just cool... might get it instead of desert eagle. both impractical really... lol

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Gets the Shakes if No HK Contact in 24 Hour Period
1,023 Posts
god, wherever FN five seven is mentioned, people start talking about the caliber!!! lol

another perfect example - Thoughts on the FN Five Seven? - Sniper's Hide Forums
LOL. I love caliber wars! ;) joke aside... sure... I'd love to own a FN five-seven if I had $1,000 + a few hundred $ lying around for ammo.

In the end it's the worlds best prairie-dog and squirrel hunting handgun.

Maybe I'm wrong... but I read somewhere that the five-seven was developed specifically for defeating modern body-armor? And that being the main and i mean MAIN purpose of the gun. These penetrating rounds are obviously not available for civilians so all you are left with are some rounds with a ballistic performance close to the .22 WMR - at twice the cost...

·
Registered
378 Posts
Nice pickup. I got mine in February and love it. I had wanted one since I was much younger, hence my avatar choice (though that is a USP) Now I wish I can luck up on a sweet deal on a nightstalker lam unit for a “decent” price.

·
Premium Member
236 Posts
I don't have a lot of knowledge on this pistol but I see some say MK23 and some say Mark 23... What's the difference? Beautiful pistol by the way.

·
Registered
47 Posts
no difference, the military just likes to shorten and abbreviate things. Picked up my mk23 a few weeks ago and absolutely love it :62:

·
Registered
378 Posts
Actually, the mil version mk23 has a slightly tighter barrel that allows for a better gas seal. It's very minor though. Both members G3kurz and AGG have made reference to this before. Other than that though, only difference is roll markings and being sold as whole packages i.e. lam and suppressor included.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Sweet gun for sure. some consider it a boat anchor, so we'll find out.

yes it's HUGE, but it's not oversized. it's just a large .45 with a long barrel and beefy. def not deagle like.

the trigger is easy to reach in DA unlike what most people say.

the only thin I can't reach is the ******* mag drop. my thumb just doesn't go that forward. I'm short like half an inch.

with the full mag it points very well. the DA is VERY heavy, but the SA is VERY light. it is by far the smoothest pistol trigger I have felt (can't really compare it to the 1911, that has no slack, this has a very smooth shallow creep)

Can't wait to shoot it.

Might go pick up a FN fiveseven for ****s and giggles to have another interesting pistol. Was also thinking about a XDm match in 9mm. those look pretty cool too. just don't know much about them.

·
Premium Member
756 Posts
Sweet gun for sure. some consider it a boat anchor, so we'll find out.

yes it's HUGE, but it's not oversized. it's just a large .45 with a long barrel and beefy. def not deagle like.

the trigger is easy to reach in DA unlike what most people say.

the only thin I can't reach is the ******* mag drop. my thumb just doesn't go that forward. I'm short like half an inch.

with the full mag it points very well. the DA is VERY heavy, but the SA is VERY light. it is by far the smoothest pistol trigger I have felt (can't really compare it to the 1911, that has no slack, this has a very smooth shallow creep)

Can't wait to shoot it.

Might go pick up a FN fiveseven for ****s and giggles to have another interesting pistol. Was also thinking about a XDm match in 9mm. those look pretty cool too. just don't know much about them.
the release is designed to be manipulated with your trigger finger like all modern polymer hk pistols. you can drop the mag and still keep your grip on the gun without shifting it in your hand.

·
Premium Member
508 Posts
In the other guns to get range, you mentioned that you really liked the M&P series for your carry ones, you might for the fun of it take a look at a HK45c in person and see what you think, those make excellent carry guns and you can get the threaded barrel for them. If you liked it a lot, it would make a nice companion to the MK23.

The .50 AE would be a nice unique one to have, especially with the extra long barrel options.

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
Congrats! Also thanks for the good read :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 22 Posts