HKPRO Forums banner

Back Strap's and Side Panel's changing on their P30's,P2k etc. other's experience's.

6K views 18 replies 12 participants last post by  bordercop 
#1 · (Edited)
Just real curious on who has done some changing around on their HK's that have back strap's and or side panel's. If covered before i've not seen anything recent.

I have changed the back strap on my P30s v3 to the Large back strap. This caused my xl hand's/long finger's where my trigger finger to drop down to the point my finger was going into the trench. Put the medium back on. I do not have a xl back strap i see in my P30 manual. I need to call HK and get one.

Thinking about putting the large side panel's on to see if that will add some girth so it's better with my trigger finger. I think i need more distance to the trigger.

Plus i hope this thread can help anyone that is having the trench cause them problem's....

#2 ·
Small around. You might have to fight for that gun one day and what do you think you'll be able to hold onto better, the small end of a baseball bat or the fat end? The smaller the better so you can choke that grip to death. Not only do you have more control of the gun while firing, it's going to be hard for someone to take it away from you.

#3 ·
When I had a P30, it was large all the way around. I have decent sized hands and long enough fingers that the large gave me a better feel. I swapped back to medium and it felt like there was a gap between my palm and the grip. I would rather it fill my hand so I have a better purchase on it. I'd rather it be a little larger with more skin-to-grip contact than smaller and it leave gaps.

#4 ·
They've been making different sized grips and backstraps for decades for a reason; there's no "one size fits all" when it comes to them. Some shoot better with small grips, others shoot better with larger grips. Some prefer flat backstraps/mainspring housings, some the arched type. Experiment and find what works best for you. Oh and if you ever come across a pistol grip that's as big around as the fat end of a baseball bat, don't buy it! :wink:

#8 ·
Dave,

My HK45 came with the 'S' backstrap installed and I quickly installed the 'M' that was included. I'm sure if there was an 'L' available, I'd like that backstrap even better. Anybody know if an 'L' backstrap exists for the HK45?

My hands are too big for the USPc and the HK45c (save for the fugly elephant foot), but I found the P7 series to be good. That's what I'm carrying now.

#9 ·
Not sure i see HK Part's net has some b/strap's listed. I put the L on the back of my P30 and my finger was pinching in the magwell. So i put the medium back on. The gun being so modular i am getting used to and Like it! Bummer with ape like hand's i guess, :wink: BTW, i bet that Tactical is running well!!

#11 ·
I played around (safely) with my new P30L tonight at the kitchen table/gun bench. I decided the the Medium backstrap combined with the Large side panels were what fit best in my hand. I'm 6'5" with long hands. After getting the P30L with custom grip I'm not sure if I could ever get comfortable with a USP. The P30L is custom fit for my hand.

#16 ·
I had the smalls all around for a while, but I find small side panels with the medium backstrap significantly improved my grip. THe additional support to the bottom of my hand makes it feel like almost an entirely new gun.

The P30 is amazing ergonomically not only because of what it is out of box, but how it can be transformed so damn easily to the perfect grip for damn near anyone.

#17 ·
Forget how the grip feels for now.

The grip panels do more than just fit your hand comfortably, the backstrap changes the grip angle and influences how easily and naturally the pistol points at the target.

Install the Medium backstrap. Close your eyes and point the pistol at the a target. Note where the pistol's sights are reference to the target. If the pistol points naturally at the target you're done. If it points low try the Large backstrap; if high try the Small. (A bit of history: The arched mainspring housing in the M1911A1 was developed from the Army's WW1 experience of the pistol shooting low. The lager backstrap -- and the short trigger -- was the solution.)

One backstrap will provide a more natural aim for you and require less adjustment as you bring the pistol up to eye level during the draw stroke. The side panels seem to be more for grip comfort and I prefer them to be slim and flat. As always, YMMV, but get the grip angle right first. The side panels may fine tune it a bit.

-- Chuck

#19 ·
P2k, I went from XL - L - XL.
I don't like the way the XL backstrap fills up the area just below the tail of the frame. So I dropped down to a Large for a while. It turned out to be too small for my hands (I was constantly having to adjust my grip), so I went back up. I've gotten pinched between the hammer and frame a couple times, causing blood blisters to form, but nothing worse. I with they had extended this shelf (beavertail?), just a tad longer.

My experience has been that people tend to want a grip smaller than they should be using.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.