HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got my new P2000 V2 9mm from the LGS and went to the range to shoot through several types of ammo and start a break in process. I seemed to be pulling shots to the left consistently which isn't something I typically suffer from in many years of shooting pistols. I remembered someone on this forum mentioning it, I believe also with a P2000 and that the problem was corrected by installing a larger backstap. So, I figured I'd try it. I replaced the medium backstap with the large and I started punching the center of my targets like the pistol was on laser guided auto fire. The down side is that the pistol wasn't quite as comfortable in the grip with the larger backstrap.

Wonder if many of you other P2000 shooters find a significant change to your shooting dependent on backstrap size.
Thanks.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I notice that with the smaller back straps on a p30sk, I shoot left. With larger backstrap I am much more consistent.

·
Registered
4,204 Posts
Went with the Extra Large backstrap on my P2000 357.
It was a game changer.
Softer, grippier with a higher grip angle.
Went from OK to one of my favorite handguns.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Im being left handed just switched my left side panel to large but not the back strap. my hand aren't that big so idk what to do except do some shooting and changing panels. that may take a while

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
It can help with accuracy by helping you place the optimum part of your trigger finger on the trigger for a straight press back. I have found that changing back straps/grips can help with getting a more optimal grip too for better control of the pistol under fire.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I don't have the largest hands in the world so for years I ran the small blackstrap on my Vp9. I trained and trained but I never felt like I could completely control the recoil and muzzle flip under fast fire. Just recently I started playing with the largest blackstrap and holy mother of Germany I had felt like this pistol became a 22. Now I can shoot fast and consistent. Sure it's bigger than I'd like in terms of ergonomics but the design of the large backstrap forces my hand up against the receiver which adds more natural pressure for better control on follow up shots. The back strap has also increased grip real-estate I can place my hands on for even more control.

I highly encourage everyone to try out each backstrap/panel for a day or so. Instead of basing your decision off of how small or big the panel is, shoot with it to see if you're a better shot because in the end that's what it comes down to.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Wonder if many of you other P2000 shooters find a significant change to your shooting dependent on backstrap size.
Thanks.
True for both my P2000SK and P2000... Large was the correct size for me.

·
Premium Member
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Thanks for the great feedback. I have shorter thick fingers which is why I could never do Glock's well, even with their SF models. I'm going to do some further testing maybe even trying the "big boy" like Barth mentioned to see what happens.

Other than that, I'm finding I haven't been as excited about a pistol re ergonomics, shootability, and conceilability in years. This P2000 is rapidly climbing the ranks of my many pistols to become my "IF I COULD ONLY KEEP ONE PISTOL" pistol.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
I don't have the largest hands in the world so for years I ran the small blackstrap on my Vp9. I trained and trained but I never felt like I could completely control the recoil and muzzle flip under fast fire. Just recently I started playing with the largest blackstrap and holy mother of Germany I had felt like this pistol became a 22. Now I can shoot fast and consistent. Sure it's bigger than I'd like in terms of ergonomics but the design of the large backstrap forces my hand up against the receiver which adds more natural pressure for better control on follow up shots. The back strap has also increased grip real-estate I can place my hands on for even more control.

I highly encourage everyone to try out each backstrap/panel for a day or so. Instead of basing your decision off of how small or big the panel is, shoot with it to see if you're a better shot because in the end that's what it comes down to.
Yep. Same thing happened to me with my SIG SP2022. I could shoot it very accurately with the medium grip but always wanted to try the large but they were hard to find. I finally found one and it was stunning in the difference it made in controlling recoil.

Those that advise shooters, and there are a lot of them, to go with the grip that feels the best or even the pistol that feels best in your hand are really doing a disservice advising such.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Back strap size can affect your grip which can affect your trigger pull which can all affect your accuracy.

·
Registered
71 Posts
As already mentioned, abso-frikkin-lutely!

Changing the grip panels changes how the gun naturally sits in your hand. With the wrong grip panels (or grip/gun) you can force it into position to aim but it's an active choice rather than natural.

·
Registered
73 Posts
As already mentioned, abso-frikkin-lutely!

Changing the grip panels changes how the gun naturally sits in your hand. With the wrong grip panels (or grip/gun) you can force it into position to aim but it's an active choice rather than natural.
Too true. That's the problem I had with the small backstrap. Felt comfortable, felt I had full control of my pistol, but I whenever I aimed it did not fall naturally into view. I had to remember to point a certain way to align my sights. Once I switched to the large it was almost scary how natural the point was.

My tip; Close your eyes and aim your pistol like you would when you're aiming to shoot. When you open your eyes you should see the sights are naturally aligned. Practice this with multiple backstraps and side panels. It's also more affective if you draw from a holster.

·
Premium Member
723 Posts
Is water wet? :63000:

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
I also preferred the small inserts all around the VP9 (short thick fingers) almost like a 1911 size to me. I shoot much better with the large inserts, though.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts