HKPRO Forums banner

Barrel pressing questions that I cannot find

6910 Views 18 Replies 7 Participants Last post by  BabyMommaMaker
Hello I had been researching HK G-3 builds for about three years now. I purchased parts about a year ago. Tried to proceed, had issues and got discouraged.
Now I am back at it and thoroughly discouraged. By the way I have completed a vz-58 build and five AK platform builds and pressed barrels into all of them with ease.
A few questions I have-
1- I cannot for the life of me find whether the bolt gap is stated in mm or imperial in from people's posts. People say "oh yeah shoot for .020 or .015 doesn't make a damn sense if its in or mm.
2- The bolt carrier moves up and down after locked affecting your gap measurement by a lot. So where is it supposed to sit? pressed down? Up? in line with the cocking tube? I cannot fit any sort of feeler gauge when the cocking tube is in line with the bolt carrier no matter how far the barrel is pressed in.
Shotgun Auto part Trigger Tool accessory
Tool Shotgun Revolver

3- The bolt gap doesn't seem to change at all no matter how far the barrel has been pressed in. I have pressed in barrel back and forth 23 times unable to figure this out.

I am ready to toss my $1600 of parts in the trash. If I cant figure this out I'm going to buy a PTR and give what I have away including a $400 match grade barrel if anyone is interested.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
1,640 Posts
Excellent advice!

1) The bolt gap spec is published in millimeters. People convert the numbers to inch because it's what they are familiar with and understand better. Pick one and stick with it.
2) The bolt carrier should not move up and down, it should be positively located by the receiver rails. Something is wrong.
3) The depth the barrel is pressed in has squat to do with the bolt gap. The trunnion is what determines the bolt gap for set up purposes and proper bolt gap can be obtained without a barrel even installed.

Your three years of research seems to have been in vain. I casually suggest you sell off your parts kit and buy that PTR and call it good.

· Registered
1,640 Posts
You gave him the most logical solution at this point...

2) Good God, man! I don't know where to start.

3) People call it head space in roller lock weapons because it's the closest thing we understand to what's really going on. It's not head space in the traditional sense but setting bolt gap accomplishes the desired affect.

Your three years of research really didn't serve you well, did it. Believe me if you can, I'm not trying to be a smart ass when I say this, buy a PTR and call it good or send your pile of parts to someone to build for you. I'd encourage you to keep at it and keep learning but if you truly spent that long looking into the build and understand it no more than what you do, just stop. Have it built for you or buy one before you blow up $1600 (?) in parts and hurt someone or yourself.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.