HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guy's, I just talked with Chris at PTR about the barrels on the two new PTR 91 models. He advised that they were Green Mountain blanks they were using just like the GI model. The exception is that these will have 12 flutes and a little more tolerance in the chamber than even the GI. He said that they do all the CNC work in house. Take care

·
Registered
95 Posts
Thanks for the heads up! Good to see they are going in the right direction. Hopefully we will see 93/53 models coming out sometime soon. My PTR's have been 100% reliable and look mean as can be!

·
Registered
15 Posts
I was told that the military classic wood model will have 12 flutes. The military classic black polymer model may or may not have 12 flutes - a few were produced with the older barrels. I didn't ask about any other models (bull barrel models). My solution was to order the wood stocked version and some polymer furniture from robertrtg - that way I would be assured to get a 12 flute chamber and have the ability to swap out furniture to whatever configuration I felt like. I should get my rifle tomorrow if fedex does its job and hopefully post some pics. I would think that the regular GI models out there will all be 11 flute chambered unless they are very recent models.

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
Why can't they go back to the Wilson barrels which was the first barrel vendor when the company was JLD? Those never had a problem? GARY N4KVE

·
Registered
25 Posts
The problem does not appear to come from Wilson, or Thompson Contender, or Green Mountain, but PTR. They determine the flute depth and how many, etc. I'm more interested in why they won't give the option to purchase a rifle with a nitrided barrel.

·
Registered
15 Posts
The problem does not appear to come from Wilson, or Thompson Contender, or Green Mountain, but PTR. They determine the flute depth and how many, etc. I'm more interested in why they won't give the option to purchase a rifle with a nitrided barrel.
How many manufacturers offer nitrided barrels? That's not something I have really looked into, although I've noticed DSA offers nitrided AR barrels. Have you noticed a benefit to nitrided barrels?

·
Registered
15 Posts
How many manufacturers offer nitrided barrels? That's not something I have really looked into, although I've noticed DSA offers nitrided AR barrels. Have you noticed a benefit to nitrided barrels?
Daniel Defense and CMMG are also making AR barrels that are nitrided. The process is not a coating, it is a metal treatment. It is suppose to be superior to chrome (harder than chrome) and does not affect (reduce) accuracy.

·
Registered
10,254 Posts
Why not contact PTR. Ask them to build a rifle around a barrel that YOU will supply. Can't hurt to ask. Nothing ventured... and all that.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Quite a lot mattra, mostly in the AR world: Ruger, S&W, LWRC, PWS, H&K, etc. Some of the European manufacturers do this for their handguns as well. I do not have first hand experience with a nitrided rifle, but would pay a reasonable premium if the option was available from what I've read about the benefits, barrel longevity, corrosion resistance, ease of cleaning.

Why not contact PTR. Ask them to build a rifle around a barrel that YOU will supply. Can't hurt to ask. Nothing ventured... and all that.
Shattered, the reason is that while they may do it, I wouldn't be willing to pay the price. The manufacturer is not going to give me a discount versus a big distributor like CDNN or Atlantic. I've asked a similar question before to someone else. A rep basically told me to go buy from Atlantic as it would be cheaper. Just look at the difference between the price Atlantic is selling a GI version for (before HKPro member discount) and the MSRP on PTR's website. At that point, I'd rather just collect parts and ship it off to someone like ghilliebear for a build.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts