HKPRO Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello HKPro shooters,

I've been renting handguns for over a decade, and having shot every brand and model I could get my hands on, the HK USP, P2000, and 1911 were my favorite guns to shoot. But when it comes to esthetics, the HK is by far the clear winner. So that made the choice for my first handgun a rather easy one. :)

I was intrigued by the great looking ergonomics and the longer barrel available on the P30L. P30 isn't in California's roster so I could never rent one to try. At the end I took a risk and bought a gun that I've never shot before. And I must say... I was taken by a bit of surprise.

I absolutely love the grip on the P30. It felt like I'm wearing a glove when I put my hand on it, and shots were still relatively accurate, yet the creep feels like eternity when the weight is so much higher than what I'm used to. Having shot the HK USP and P2000 before, I came to expect that the trigger on all HK pistols to be butter smooth, but the P30 was completely different! I ordered the V1 LEM "light trigger", but the trigger pull was at around 5.8 lbs, much higher than the expected 4.5lbs on the spec sheet.

So last week I've spent about 6 hours slowly taking the gun apart, (thanks to all the info out there on how to strip the P30), polished every part with my Dremel, smoothed out the corner of the cocking piece to lower the creep, and reduced the weight of the trigger return spring. Finally the trigger weight was at a manageable 4.5 lbs. Then yesterday I got a light weight fire pin lock spring, and finally the trigger is at 3.8 lbs. Rather surprised that the V1 light LEM model doesn't come with the lighter spring.

(cocking piece sitting by the release catch, that's the corner that benefit from a reduced creep after some grinding and polishing)

Finally my P30 feels like a P2000 that I shot last month. Can't wait to try it out at the range tomorrow morning!!!

·
Registered
890 Posts
You sure you started off with a V1, and not something mis-marked? P-series V1's come standard with the light FPBS.

The NIB pull weight you mention is more akin to a V2.

EDIT- disregard...I'm wrong. Misread the chart.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You sure you started off with a V1, and not something mis-marked? P-series V1's come standard with the light FPBS.
Thanks for bringing up the chart. Don't even know one existed. :) But I actually double checked with my dealer and verified that on my box there's the serial number and the model number as I was frantically trying to resolve my heavy trigger issue. Good to know for sure now.

At the same time, it's always fun to get different parts, then take the gun apart and customize to my liking. A bit of money spent but a lot of fun in the process.

I just got the 10lbs hammer spring, I know it's often frowned upon as a move that can lower the reliability of the gun, but I figured that I'll only be using it at the range, so I can afford a mis-fire if one happens. Though so far so good. The trigger is just above 3lbs and I've been loving this gun!

Had the sights replaced with the LPA adjustable sights also. I wish I can hit the range every morning! :D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts