HKPRO Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have been bit by the HK bug. I got bit by the Sig bug and last Summer and 7 pistols and 2 rifles later I have found out the wrong bug bit me. Don't get me wrong Sig is a might fine weapon, but my HK's...well I am in love. I acquired a VP9 last Summer but after watching a couple of bad reviews of the gun on You Tube I sold it to buy more Sigs. Well back in January I was at my local gun store and they had VP9's in FDE on sale and I said hey why not. The reasons they got a poor review was really based on an unrealistic torture test. So I bought my VP9 and I really love the bright sights and it is so accurate. It is a quality striker fire that rivals any of my Glocks. The only problem I had with my VP9 wasn't an issue with the gun but the ammo I was using.

When I am breaking in a new gun I try to use the cheapest dirtiest ammo I can to help break it in. No need in using good ammo until I am sure the gun functions fine. But the ammo I was using a couple of times did not have sufficient enough charge to completely cycle the slide. I had the same problem with another gun doing the same thing that day with the same ammo. I switched over to Sig 115gr brass cased and everything worked fine for the next 400 rounds I put through the gun. Then 2 weeks ago. I was at my local dealer when I saw a lovely USP 9 compact and I was thinking the only problem I had was justifying it to my wife. Well I carry several different guns but the one I carry most often is a Sig P225A1. I got to tell you it is a heavy gun for a gun that has a single stack 8 capacity. Bingo there was my justification so I got my first USP. I love it and it has become my EDC. I loved it so much I went and bought me a USP 9 full size to have as an alternative to my Glock. I loved the USP full size so much I started looking at getting me a USP 9 Tactical or maybe even bitting the bullet and getting a MK23 but my wife had something to say about me spending $2000 on a polymer framed pistol, but thats because her safe is full of Glocks, none of which have been over $600. But fear not I did locate me a USP 9 Expert online and I ordered. However my family is currently on vacation and I won't be able to pick up the new addition until Sunday.

So the Expert I purchased is a 15 rounder. I have ordered a couple of the white 18 round magazines. Can I use those 18 round magazines without the Jet Funnel kit? Also it is my understanding that the 15 round magazines that came with my Expert will also work with my full size, is this correct? If I have to get the Jet Funnel kit are the 18 round magazines the only magazines I can use? Does any body have a recommendation on sights for the Expert? I don't believe the one I picked up had a fiber optic front.

Well if you made it this far in my post thanks and any feedback is appreciated.

·
Registered
838 Posts
The 15-round Expert 9mm mags will work in your regular USP 9mm. Same frame.

You can use 18-round mags without the jet funnel kit in both guns, but they will hang out at the bottom and look a little weird. Best combo IMO is the jet funnel + the steel 18-rounders.

Dawson Precision makes a good fiber optic front sight for the Expert. I have one and it's great.

·
Premium Member
51 Posts
Slam, your story sounds very familiar to mine. Been EDC Sigs for several years (.357 sig P229 non railed & 9mm P239) and love them both. I Had been searching for a EDC .45 ACP that "clicked" for a couple of years without success. Then my LGS had a USPc .45 SS that caught my eye so I bought it and it CLICKED big time! I had V3 and changed it over to LEM, put the large mag release on it and orange Triji HD's and believe I actually heard the angels sing!
I'm kinda worried too as I just took possession of a new 9mm P2000 V2 and believe it may become my primary EDC for warm months. Hope my HK fever breaks soon or this could get expensive. Enjoy!

·
Registered
121 Posts
I was bit too, Not much you can do. I bought an HK P30sk. It didn't help the bite much. Than I bought some 13 round USPc mags that I could use in my USPc and my P30sk. It helped a little with the bite. I than bought some 15 round VP9 mags and some sleeves for them. That helped a lot. Buy mags it might help you too. I just saw the new VP9 sk. OH boy I think I'm back to square one when that comes out. That HK bug is contagious.

·
Registered
54 Posts
When I am breaking in a new gun I try to use the cheapest dirtiest ammo I can to help break it in. No need in using good ammo until I am sure the gun functions fine.
Enjoy the HK malaise. It's a wonderful bug to have been bitten by!

Regarding the dirty ammo, you don't need to worry about that with HK (or Sig, or Glock). Your HK is going to work flawlessly during and after the break in period. I'd offer that using dirty ammo just asks for trouble, and may actually contribute to an otherwise unlikely malfunction (as you saw with your original VP9). I'd liken it to buying a new modern car and using crappy low octane gas for the first 500 miles to make sure the car works. You'd certainly increase the likelihood of something happening with your car too.

You've clearly got enough high quality firearms and experience with them. Feed that HK good ammo and you'll be rewarded like no other firearm brand you've used.

·
Premium Member
663 Posts
If you get a bit a bug, the HK bug is the one to be bitten by!!! Their rifles and pistols are second to none. I was bitten by it many years ago. I love the UPS line, p7 line and the legacy rifles. Your purchase of the expert was a wise decision. The Mark 23 is a great pistol also. Enjoy all, soon your wife will disregard her glocks and you will have to ask for your HKs!!!

·
Registered
90 Posts
Take zinc, I got that bug a while back but after all the USP's and a couple of P30's I can safely say I'm over it. For the most part I love them, even ignoring the plastic part, but I can't get over the trigger...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Take zinc, I got that bug a while back but after all the USP's and a couple of P30's I can safely say I'm over it. For the most part I love them, even ignoring the plastic part, but I can't get over the trigger...
I love mine in spite of the triggers. I don't look at them as bad so much as....different. My MK25 is definitely a better trigger with the SRT, but a standard Sig DA/SA to me is actually worse than the sampling of DA/SA HKs I've tried.

I did just pick up a USP .40 V7 and am kind of liking the standard LEM.

I am a few USPs and one P30L deep. I'm just enjoying the ride and don't want to be cured.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
I just got bit again and this time by the Mark 23. I love the gun. It's not one that would be an EDC but it is the best shooting .45 ACP I have ever owned.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts