HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Quick and dirty version:
Cheap alternative to getting into the roller lock clone hobby. Accuracy is amazing for the barrel length and ejection is smooth and strong. You get what you pay for so you don't get the best finish, welds, proper castle sights, paddle mag release or sling positions on receiver. As long as you want a decent and accurate shooter, not a safe queen....read on.

Review:
I am in no means a professional shooter. I've grown up around guns and know how they function and love to take them apart and put them back together. My father trained me how to shoot from a young age, so that is something I believe I can do fairly well. Growing up and watching action movies like Die Hard with my dad, there was always one gun that caught my attention like many young boys, the H&K MP5. With less than a year left in my medical studies I decided to pull the trigger, so to speak, on my boyhood fantasy as my other fantasy, Stacy Kiebler, is quite busy with some actor that played a doctor...

The Bellator BA89K, sold by Atlantic Firearms (AF) as the SP89K, arrived at my FFL within 10 days of ordering. It would have only been 5 days, but Fed Ex decided to send my package on a tour of the Great Northwest before finally making it's way South. It arrived in a plain cardboard box wrapped in plastic, secured in place with the cardboard inserts and no foam. The first thing I noticed was the weight. The pistol feels solid in your hands and the welds seemed adequate to get the job done. Like I said above, if you want something really pretty to look at and shoot, you may want to opt for the other clone builders on the forum. Upon further inspection, I noticed the cocking tube cover on the front of the gun was missing and the front sight was off center ever so slightly. I sent Blaine from AF a quick email and was very surprised to hear back from him within minutes. Long story short on the missing piece, Bellator was able to overnight me the part the next week. Huge plus on customer service for both Blaine at AF and George at Bellator.

Range Report:
I've put about 50 rounds through it in two range trips so far. Why the low round count you ask? Problem came down to the included mag. First day out I was experiencing Failure to Feed (FTF) issues every 2-3 rounds with American Eagle 9mm. I chalked it up to the gun being bone dry as I found out when I took it home. No lube or grease anywhere on the firearm and the bolt group didn't just slide out of the receiver when tilted. Figured that may have been the problem and cleaned and lubed it up for the next range trip a few days later. At least the gun was accurate even with the front sight off center. Using the zero from the factory, I shot out the bullseye at 10 yards unsupported.

Next range trip FTF on the first round. Did some snooping and realized the magazine wouldn't feed correctly with the first round loaded to the right. As expected, this would cause a FTF about every other round with some every third round if I was lucky. The rangemaster came over and after a little conversation he offered to let me use the range's H&K factory MP5 magazine to troubleshoot whether it really was the mag or possibly another issue such as the recoil spring/rod. The H&K mag was light years ahead in construction and function. Using that magazine the BA89K ran without a single hiccup. No problems with feeding and the extraction was still strong at roughly 10-15 ft at 2-3 o'clock. Again, I shot out the bullseye completely and had other shooters at the range asking about the weapon. Yippy ki yay, I felt like a bad ass with that gun.

Final Analysis:
The BA89K is a great way for novice roller lockers myself to get into the game. With production clones you have to expect some extra expense to get everything working properly. Custom builders like DJF, Chops and Ghillie deliver extra fine clones and deserve the premium they charge. I hope to be calling one of them up in a year or so to get a full size build going. Luckily, my case just involves new H&K magazines to get my new range toy to work. New mag should be here today actually. I also just broke everything down to clean again and noticed that the bolt group now passes the slide test after just 50 or so rounds and the cocking lever action is much smoother. She seems to be breaking in nicely and unfortunately for me...the addiction may be setting in.

Pics!
BA89K
Broken Down for cleaning
Reinforcement tab weld
Rear sight and weld
Bolt Head
Front Sight
Paint job on front sight tower
Receiver rails and shavings after break-in

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No problem. Talking with Bellator, they have an upgraded BA89K that they are working on. I'm guessing paddle mag and 3 lug are the upgrades. It does take a good stretch to reach the mag release on the current version, but like you said, the price is very attractive for what you get compared to the rest of the clone market.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Update:
Took the BA89K out again today and put another 100 rounds through it with my new H&K mag I got from HKparts. The firearm ran smoothly without any hiccups with the new mag and confirms the FTF problems I was getting before was due to the magazine provided with the firearm. Very pleased with my buy despite the cheap mag provided.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Pretty sure the majority, if not all, are BMP parts. I believe the mag it came with is 1st gen Korean, but don't quote me on that.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts