HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am getting my new RDTS HK21 and wanted to know what works best or is more convenient with the HK21. I assume both will work, but the links seem more cumbersome and there is no starter tab available. So what do you like belts or links?

·
Registered
266 Posts
use the belt box

and stock up on links and belts

belts for lazy days (dont want to pick links up)

and links for the days ya just want to make a mess.

the last link will get stuck =(not kicked out)in any Hk21. but you can pull it out with a starter tab loop/HOOk on the end. just pull it out..no biggy..

I sell True Hk21 belts
ya dont have to mess with
50rd belt $12.00
100rd belt $15.00
Hk21 belt starter tab $8.00
Hk21 link starter tab $8.00

·
Registered
28 Posts
I have a 21.

I have used both belts and links (mine takes links just fine).

I prefer belts- get the DM1 belts from Coles or copes or whoever. Get the loader from RobertRTG. You can load a 50 round belt in <30 seconds.

The info on the TSC website- you don't need to trim the last link. Just reverse the starter tab (easy to do, takes 5 min/belt). Remember to PULL THE BELT OUT BEFORE YOU RACK THE ACTION OPEN!!

Rock and roll

·
Registered
280 Posts
+1 for Dude. Robert usually has starter tabs and belts too. The belt loader is really fast. I think his is about $100.00.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Use Belts or links! No problem.

Here's some stuff that will be on our HK21EUG info page. Most of you can do the mod, just think about it for a few minutes after checking it out, not that big a deal.

HK 21’s were designed for MG3 type belts and not M-60 disintegrating links, however both can be used. MG3 belts tend to be a pain if you want to pack it up before the belt is done. The belt sticks on everything trying to back it out. But we give you the option to use what’s convenient and the best for your shooting session.

The problem initially with links is the distance apart the rounds are. If you lay a loaded MG3 belt and an M-60 linked belt side by side you’ll notice the spacing is closer on the M-60 linked belt. Load your 21 that has an unmodified feed mech and chamber a round out of a M-60 linked belt, now as you manually pull back to eject the unfired round notice as the bolt head travels rearward over the round underneath in the feed mech. You will see that it’s getting deformed and smashed by the bolt head. This creates a lot of drag as the bolt is trying to eject the spent case in a firing situation. The reason for the drag is not the links thickness but rather because of the shorter spacing of the M-60 links. What has happened is the 2nd and 3rd round back in the belt is being pulled into the star wheel and can go no further. The reason it’s getting pulled into the wheel is the round that’s ready to chamber is sitting on the roller drum being pushed down by the bolt head riding over it. As its being pushed down it’s pulling the belted round behind it into the star wheel because it has no where to go. So it cannot go all the way down, it’s now in a bind and something has to give. This is happening because of the difference in the round spacing, they are too close together! If you pull the belt out after checking this out you will see the first round that the bolt head rode over dented on top, then inspect the 2 rounds behind it and you will see dents on the case shoulder from the star wheel. When you tried to pull eject that live round by pulling your cocking handle back you should have felt a lot of resistance coming back.

We at RDTS have over the years developed a fix for the feed mech that makes your HK21 shoot reliable with both M-60 links and MG3 belts. It involves modifying the star wheel and a few other tweaks so the choice of what to use is yours. We have lately incorporated this mod in all our builds. Add RDTS’s cocking handle modification that eliminates broken cocking handle pins and supports while at the same time doubles the cocking travel of your 21 to absolutely crack that baby open and you are now definitely enjoying that RDTS 21EUG!

Excuse our blatant plug
Ralph at www.RDTS.com

·
Registered
266 Posts
Iv done the back cut. it frees up the mech..and works

·
Registered
266 Posts
ALSO NOT:

the true Hk21 Starter tabs for the belts. will fall away after the first 3 rds fired.. so you will need to pick it up for the nexed hand full of belts.

some guys are selling the tabs that are installed on the belts and they dont come off..IT WORKS BUT!. this is not a true Hk21 belt set up

you can run a hk21 all day long 1000's of rds and only need 2 or 3 tabs
with a true set up..
and also this way you can hook your true Hk21 tab to any TRUE hk21 belt!
and ea belt can be hooked to ea other..
50/100/150/200/250 as long as you want the belt!
not just 50 or 100..WITH THE ENDS CUT UP..

2 300rd belt bags hooked to a mole vest looks cool and works...

belt bags
tan camo
OD camo $72ea

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Here's some stuff that will be on our HK21EUG info page.
Excuse our blatant plug
Ralph at www.RDTS.com
Thanks Ralph for the great info. This is the reason I went with your HK21. Can't wait to try it out at the Creek in two weeks.

By the way, is it me or did all the 308 ammo just went up by 100% in the last year? I used to find the $40 South African battle packs (140rds), but if you can find them they are $60-$90 now... Please PM me if you have any good ammo sources. I need the cheap stuff now that I have this bullit hose :83:

·
Registered
266 Posts
THE PRICE IS UP..

us on this side of the states are now getting wolf 308 at $235 a 1000rd case
with shipping it's $279 a case..

last weekend (gun show)we sold 2000rds of SA at $70 a 140rds packs ea
get it if you can!!

·
Registered
28 Posts
THE PRICE IS UP..

us on this side of the states are now getting wolf 308 at $235 a 1000rd case
with shipping it's $279 a case..

last weekend (gun show)we sold 2000rds of SA at $70 a 140rds packs ea
get it if you can!!
Hey Duke where are you getting Wolf 308 for $235/1000rd case? Let me in on that deal!!

·
Registered
266 Posts
let me get another 10.000rds from them. and ill pass on the info...a 2nd time

but i work for them now..and hope i will get a better deal (under $230 a case)in the nexed 3 weeks.

(oops did i let that slip)

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Is the Wolf 308 running fine in the HK21? If you get a good deal please pass it on to me too :350: I am going to Knob Creek in two weeks to see if they have some good stuff. Since i am driving I can take a few thousand rounds with me!

·
Registered
266 Posts
the last order we got in was back orderd for 3 months.. we got a email telling us. it was in. and going to shipp out. i tryed to order more as soon as we got the email. but was told. it was sold out. and more will be coming in. 5 weeks.. so i put a order back in for another $2790.00 (10.000rds)

the wolf 150gn FMJ steel case runs fantastic it all the 308 guns we shot it in.
FNfal's (real Fn's)and others
Springfield M1A's
Galil's (308)
Hk91's
Hk21's
AR10T's

i was shooting 500 yards with iron sights..and could not miss with this stuff
and my Hk21 it was shooting clean (better then the SA) and did not miss a beat! if you want to try some. i have a few 1000rds ill sell at $40 a 100 + shipping. so you can see for your self.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Thanks for taking the time to put this explaination in writing, Ralph. I hope the powers that be save this post for posterity. I would really like to see a HK/NFA Forum to keep all the pertinate questions and answers together.

·
Registered
266 Posts
or a page to the Hk21 line of weapons semi and class 3

·
Registered
266 Posts
after all. when you spend all that money on a gun. you dont want to run. a hacked up belt. so your gun can run. right?

you want to grab a Hk part. from Hk. and have it run right out of the box..right?

I know i do!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts