HKPRO Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Priest of the P7
5,379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Cleaning up a new 828 U 20ga that I’ve been enjoying at the skeet field and it occurred to me that it’s color scheme was familiar. So I snapped a couple pics with one of my carry M8s.

Grey Everyday carry Tints and shades Gun accessory Carbon

Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Wood Gun accessory

The difference between the hard chrome slide and nickel plated shotgun receiver is more noticeable in pics. I’ll snap some of another pair tomorrow.

Anybody else crush clays?

·
Registered
4,588 Posts
Cleaning up a new 828 U 20ga that I’ve been enjoying at the skeet field and it occurred to me that it’s color scheme was familiar. So I snapped a couple pics with one of my carry M8s.

View attachment 305606

Anybody else crush clays?
I love skeet. I'd say that it is probably my favorite shooting discipline. Was shooting 6-7 rounds of skeet per session, two sessions a week until shells started drying up and we couldn't get pallets of shells for the past couple of years. Lots of really great shooters here in AZ. Snowbirds of all ages from all over the country, many who have been shooting longer than I've been alive. Always great to shoot with people that are better than you, it improves your own skills and understanding of the sport greatly.

That Benelli is a beautiful shotgun. How long have you had it and how do you like it? I'm a Citori guy, 12ga, but have been considering a 20ga for a while and keep looking at Benelli. I always thought that the 828 was a field gun but looking closer at specs the 828U looks like an interesting option. It's lightweight for sure!

Oh, and nice P7, but I think the Benelli is prettier. ;) (obligatory HK comment because this is an HK forum)

·
Priest of the P7
5,379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I love skeet. I'd say that it is probably my favorite shooting discipline. Was shooting 6-7 rounds of skeet per session, two sessions a week until shells started drying up and we couldn't get pallets of shells for the past couple of years. Lots of really great shooters here in AZ. Snowbirds of all ages from all over the country, many who have been shooting longer than I've been alive. Always great to shoot with people that are better than you, it improves your own skills and understanding of the sport greatly.

That Benelli is a beautiful shotgun. How long have you had it and how do you like it? I'm a Citori guy, 12ga, but have been considering a 20ga for a while and keep looking at Benelli. I always thought that the 828 was a field gun but looking closer at specs the 828U looks like an interesting option. It's lightweight for sure!

Oh, and nice P7, but I think the Benelli is prettier. ;) (obligatory HK comment because this is an HK forum)
I've only had the 20ga for a couple weeks and I've shot maybe 8 round with it. It is VERY light with the aluminum receiver. I added some extended chokes (cylinder and light skeet) and removed the big red bead because I focus on it instead of the bird, replaced with a very small brass one, and got rid of the auto-safety feature which kept screwing with me because my 12ga doesn't have one. I need to tinker and increase the drop and cast off a little bit, and I added an adhesive leather and foam recoil cheek pad. The recoil is fairly sharp because it's so damn light, not felt at all in the shoulder but in the face. All in all, I've enjoyed it. I managed a 19 one round with it -- I'm new (started in August) and I seldom break 20. I'd say 18 or 19 is around my average with my 12ga 828 U Sport. I'll snap a pic of it later.

I really, really wish they'd release a 20ga Sport model with the steel receiver. That would be such a great skeet gun.

I'm impressed you shoot 6 or 7 rounds, dang. The wheels start falling off for me the 3rd round and the 4th round is usually more or less a waste of shells. I don't feel tired but I guess I am and I lose concentration I suppose. A bunch of the old timers I shoot with score in the high 90s/100, some of them with 410s lol. I can't imagine being that good.

·
Registered
4,588 Posts
I've only had the 20ga for a couple weeks and I've shot maybe 8 round with it. It is VERY light with the aluminum receiver. I added some extended chokes (cylinder and light skeet) and removed the big red bead because I focus on it instead of the bird, replaced with a very small brass one, and got rid of the auto-safety feature which kept screwing with me because my 12ga doesn't have one. I need to tinker and increase the drop and cast off a little bit, and I added an adhesive leather and foam recoil cheek pad. The recoil is fairly sharp because it's so damn light, not felt at all in the shoulder but in the face. All in all, I've enjoyed it. I managed a 19 one round with it -- I'm new (started in August) and I seldom break 20. I'd say 18 or 19 is around my average with my 12ga 828 U Sport. I'll snap a pic of it later.

I really, really wish they'd release a 20ga Sport model with the steel receiver. That would be such a great skeet gun.

I'm impressed you shoot 6 or 7 rounds, dang. The wheels start falling off for me the 3rd round and the 4th round is usually more or less a waste of shells. I don't feel tired but I guess I am and I lose concentration I suppose. A bunch of the old timers I shoot with score in the high 90s/100, some of them with 410s lol. I can't imagine being that good.
Great reply, thank you!

I was wondering if the light weight would be a plus or a minus. The Sport model is the one that I have been looking at, it's $3999 in 12ga, I didn't even realize that they did not have a 20ga Sport model, that's unfortunate. The Sport is nearly 1.75 pounds heavier than the 828U in 12ga, It'd be nice to have the opportunity to shoot both before committing to buying one or the other. The recoil to the head is the exact reason why I am considering 20ga. I've been shooting for 4 years (covid having closed the ranges for 7+ months notwithstanding), my shooting buddy has been shooting skeet for 52 years :rolleyes: I am a consistent 21-23 shooter and am happy at that, whereas most of the people I shoot with miss 1 or none and talk about shooting 99s in competitions and being nationally ranked. I just keep my mouth shut and take all the advice I can get. ;)

I can do 5 rounds no problem, but start getting fatigued at 6. 7 rounds is pushing it and my productivity goes to hell halfway through the 7th round, but the guys here say if you're going to compete you need to be able to shoot two 100 round strings in a day. Eight rounds. I can't do that, esp. not with 12ga.

That being said, I have not shot skeet since early June of this year. Shotshell availability has been a huge issue.

Agreed, the guys that shoot 28ga and 410ga amaze me. Also the Krieghoff and Perazzi shotguns I see here make my eyes water knowing the values ($25K-$50K++)

Okay, back to the SWEET P7

Is that a Ford's refinish?

·
Priest of the P7
5,379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Okay, back to the SWEET P7

Is that a Ford's refinish?
Yes, that M8 is brushed chrome over deluxe blue. Here’s my sport with an original finish Sterling M13.

Brown Shoe Product Luggage and bags Bag

Blade Knife Shotgun Wood Gun accessory

A couple guys I shoot with use Caesar Garinis. To borrow a parlance from my Army days: above my pay grade. Although I suppose they don’t own lots of subguns, precision rifles, 91s, high end ARs, oh and of course P7s, not to mention feeding them all. I guess if I focused on shotguns I’d probably have pretty expensive ones.

I bought a few cases of Win AA in 12ga that’s 7/8oz of #9 shot. 3 1/4dram eq tho so has some zip. I’m hoping it might reduce recoil a bit and maybe help me be less behind the crossers. We’ll see.

·
Priest of the P7
5,379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Tonight’s entry is one of my 3-gun M2s with a Birdsong Black-T’d M13 that I’ll shoot a match with once in a while. The VP9Ls that I use much more often snuck into one of the photos.

Textile Grey Red Font Bag

Grey Musical instrument accessory Auto part Pattern Metal

Sleeve Grey Bag Red Luggage and bags

Attachments

Reactions: CaptRex
1 - 8 of 8 Posts