HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the market for my first 9mm - I'd like it to be an HK - right now seems like it will probably be a USP compact. But I just wanted to throw it out there - What is your favorite 9mm handgun? It's not for carry so size doesn't really matter. What should I consider and why? Thanks.

·
Registered
269 Posts
All depends on how much you want to spend. The USP is a very good choice, I have several and in 9mm. If its not for carry then get the full size rather then the compact. The longer site radius will help. My personal favorite 9mm is a toss up between my USP Expert 9mm (I compete with this gun, so it gets a lot of use) or my P7. If your interested in a P7 you can get some very nice PSP trade in guns pretty cheap, around the price of a wholesale USP. If your willing to search around and maybe pay a bit more the new P30 is well worth it. Very nice gun, a much needed updated USP, its a hybrid of the USP and P2000 in my opinion and along with the soon to be released HK45 going to be the flagships of the HK line. It is my opinion that the USP series will soon be discontined by HK. It is going to take some time but once they have more versions and avaliablity of the 2 new guns (P30 & HK45) its a matter of time till the USP is retired, they may keep doing some special models like the Experts and custom combats etc, similar to the MK23 a limited production gun. Not to forget about the P2000 in 9MM a very good choice as well but the P30 would be my choice over a P2000.

Dave

·
Registered
472 Posts
9MM:

I'm in the market for my first 9mm - I'd like it to be an HK - right now seems like it will probably be a USP compact. But I just wanted to throw it out there - What is your favorite 9mm handgun? It's not for carry so size doesn't really matter. What should I consider and why? Thanks.
Most likely an Expert. Great accuracy,match trigger, good capacity/looks with the optional jet funnel. I think this would be the ideal 9MM if used only for target and HD.

If I purchased one, and I am currently considering this, the only thing I would do is eliminate the ambi controls.

BTW, there is one for sale in the marketplace section-NIB with a bunch of extended mags for the J/F.

Regards;

ARKAY

·
Premium Member
3,979 Posts
I would look at the P30, just looked at one at one of the local shops. Hands down the best feeling/fitting handgun I have ever picked up....

·
Registered
271 Posts
I'm sorry to say this, but the best 9mm besides the P7, in my opinion, is the Sig 226.

Everybody knows I love HK's...but in .45.

I have not yet shot a P30...which might be better than a 226...but you cannot find any surplus P30's yet.

·
Registered
271 Posts
You know, I'm alredy regretting my above post.

My opinion hasn't changed, but I love HK's!

<sigh>

doesn't help that I just got back from the ER diagnosed with my 8th concussion.

Sorry folks.

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
I would look at the P30, just looked at one at one of the local shops. Hands down the best feeling/fitting handgun I have ever picked up....
+1!
The P30 is more accurate then my USP 9mm and the trigger also feels better. Not to mention that the grip is second to none.

My favorite gun and the best 9mm available IMO is the P7M8/M13 but the P30 is a close second.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I expected to hear at least one Sig226 vote - maybe a Glock 17 vote. But tell me, as far as USP's go, is there a huge difference between shooting the fullsize and the compact? Is the compact snappier? Harder to shoot in any way?

·
Registered
64 Posts
I've shot or handled every pistol I was interested in. Sigs, HKs, Berettas, FNs, Glocks, S&Ws...

The USPc fit my hand perfectly, so it's what I picked up. The Sig was very nice as well, and I think it honestly came down to aesthetics. After that was the FN, but it was pretty distant, and it grows further and further from there.

I also REALLY like the way the HK field strips. I'm a big fan of K.I.S.S. ^_~

G

·
There are many excellent 9mms out there. My first was a Beretta 92FS. Then I got into SIGs, Glocks and HKs. They are all good guns. The P226 is my personal favorite.

As far as shooting the HK fullsize and compact, they are both pretty soft shooting pistols. I actually prefer the compact. It fits my hand better and I shoot it more accurately.

I'm looking forward to getting ahold of a P30.

G

·
My favorite is the one you mention, the USP 9 compact. I've owned just dozens of different 9's at some point and the USP 9 compact is my fave of them all.

·
Registered
311 Posts
There is a pretty good review on sigforum.com of the p30 with tons of pictures. My most accurate handgun in 9mm is my p7m8. I just bought a sig p226- I hope it lives up to its reputation.

Shay

·
&#924;&#927;&#923;&#937;&#925; &#923;&#913;&#914;&
1,921 Posts
Gotta say the HK P30. It is the best feeling pistol I have ever held. Very smooth to shoot, very,very accurate comes with large rechargeble night sights that are easy for sight allignment. It is just a great gun all around I have over 1,000 rounds through mine now and love the pistol. But don't take my word for it go to your gun store and try one on for size.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Most likely an Expert. Great accuracy,match trigger, good capacity/looks with the optional jet funnel. I think this would be the ideal 9MM if used only for target and HD.

If I purchased one, and I am currently considering this, the only thing I would do is eliminate the ambi controls.

BTW, there is one for sale in the marketplace section-NIB with a bunch of extended mags for the J/F.

Regards;

ARKAY

Yeah but too bad he is in New Jersey! I have a LNIB Expert 9mm with Jet Funnel Mags and all.

·
Registered
377 Posts
The USP9 is very, very nice.

However, I'd say my favorite 9mm would be the Sig P226.

Take that FWIW, my favorite 9mm, .357sig, .40sw are all the Sig P226, and my favorite .45auto is the Sig P220.

The P30 is more comfy than the P226, but the extra weight, and longer slide/barrel/sight radius make the P226 easier to shoot IMO.

I'd love to compare a P226 to a P30L, but I'll probly have to wait a while to get that opportunity.

Size wise, the P229 and P30 are very similar, and it would be hard to choose which one I like better. I'd probly lean towards the P229, but that preferance could be due to the fact that I've only shot a P30 once, and I've shot numerous P229's numerous times.

If you cant tell, I tend to favor Sig's over everything else, but HK's are a close 2nd. If possible go handle as many as you can, shoot as many as you can, then go from there.

·
Registered
94 Posts
hk usp compact 9mm...favorite handgun

1 - 20 of 40 Posts