HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
you're gonna want to use stuff that's 62 grain or higher because of the one in seven twist polygonal rifling, other stuff isn't gonna do it justice, hornady tap(some of the more expensive), federal, black hills usually has 50 rounds of 69 grain for 20 bucks, but the higher the grain the better with that rifle.

·
Registered
2,844 Posts
Every rifle is it's own story, thus normally I would work through different ammo by buying three boxes of various type ammo and then shooting a "nearly clean" and cold / cool rifle on paper. After a summers shooting and keep good records of every shot fired, you know what works nearly best. However, now days, it gets hard to even find ammo, let along what you really wanted (friends have ended up shooting Wolf in the full auto Vectors, just because of the crazy times - and it even works ok .... besides it was/is my Vector, worst that can happen is a new extractor, spring and tap in another barrel ;-).

If it was me I would pick up a 100 rounds of the following for a start:

Federal Gold Metal Match 69gr, this makes a good reference to see how you rifle shoots (may not shoot the best in all, but is a very good place to start).
- and
Something along the lines of Mk262 75 or 77 grain ammo - possible Federal Tap, Prvi Partizan (have to tried on paper yet) or Black Hills. This in theory could be the ammo for all uses.
- plus
Federal AE (red box) .223 in 55 grain (either FMJ and/or a small Hollow Point), as this at times has worked well for a nice balance of cost and accuracy.

Plus five hundred rounds each (got to have ammo ;-) of

Federal / Lake City XM855 or similar mil spec 62 grain "SS109" ammo, if you like SS109 ammo (myself have bigger guns if need a little more penetration - the 1919A4 with AP in 30-06 comes to mind first ;-)

and

Federal / Lake City XM193 or similar mil spec 55 grain ammo - if only to know how 55 grain ammo works and where it hits. Lots of 1 in 7 twist rifles work not too bad in the AR or HK 90s world.

·
Registered
39 Posts
i've had wolf casings get stuck in the chamber of my ar15, and a lot of misfeeds with wolf, and sl8 is expensive, i wouldn't trust it even with a vector, vectors are pricey too.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i've had wolf casings get stuck in the chamber of my ar15, and a lot of misfeeds with wolf, and sl8 is expensive, i wouldn't trust it even with a vector, vectors are pricey too.
Yeah I heard that from other forums. So the higher the grain the better... sounds good... The only problem I heard was people saying the .223(5.56mm) didnt have enough power to use for self defense or to even kill a deer... is that true?

I heard stories that ground hogs even went free with an AR15 and .223 rounds. Not sure the grain probably Commie Rounds of Wolf.

·
Registered
39 Posts
thats crap! the 5.56 is designed to tumble causing a great amount of internal damage, it doesn't penetrate, it'll go in your chest curve around yaw and end up somewhere else in the body causing a slow painful death unless it is in a vital place like head or heart. when hunting you want to use like 7mm, 30.06, 308 because of the increased size of caze and cailber and gun powder, you usually hunt from a longer distance you you want velocity to continue throughout the trajectory making it easier to kill the animal with one shot or at least bring it down with one shot. the .223/5.56 is gonna give you different results, if you use it for hunting you'll want to use it one coyotes, varmint, badgers, etc. but it's all where you place the bullet. if you're using it for self defense it's gonna work great. you're shot is going to be on, it's powerful enough to kill or injure, the impact mentally and physically is going to be so great as the bullet travels in the body. if it's good enough for military and law enforcement it's good enough for the civilian defender. i'd rather use it than a 308 or something that might pentrate through the body and exit and possibly ric or hit someone that you wouldn't want in harms way.

even hunting rounds when they hit an animal like deer or elk can just knock them down and they can get up and run away. it's all about bullet placement. putting the round on the target(that type of gun control)

55 grains is a varmint round, 60s and higher is what military and law enforcement use in their 1x7 twist rifles.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks man... so very small game hunting or small game hunting (deer, etc with bullet placement) for the 55gr and 62gr+ for defense ammo..

Thanks a lot man... I stocked up on some ammo but I need to buy an SL8-6 next... might want to get it in SBR, I dont want a G36 just a nice working SL8 for me.

·
Registered
39 Posts
ed @ hdps.org profiles and cuts barrels and installs flashiders for the sl8/g36, but if you're gonna use it for hunting, 20" is perfect with 1x7 twist you almost have 3 full rotations of the bullet before leaving the barrel, that's insanely good, once sighted in with a good scope you'll be dead on almost every time. maybe just get a good bipod. with the body being all polymer and the barrel being heavy bull barrel, your muzzle is not going to go up as you shoot but push the weight to the back so you're accuracy is going to be increased a lot with double taps, bump firing or mag dumps even just getting your sight/muzzle back to zero will be much faster if not instantaneous.

·
Registered
2,844 Posts
Close friends and Class II needed something to shoot model airplanes this May at the Colorado Cannon shoot, so loaned the Vector 53P for use with his trigger pack (if the worst came to pass, could take a barrel out of storage or get one from Vector and have them swap it for me ... so was not too much of a worry). The newer poly coated Wolf appears to be working well enough in the Vector and a well used M4 upper (was the suppressor host for them), that I am even starting to think about thinking of trying Wolf on a limited number of firearms (still thinking ... while lower cost, still like the XM193 ;-), as I dip bellow 10K of Federal XM193 (still ok one M885 / SS109). However, for sure not recommending Wolf to anyone else at this time.

That said, an interesting read on .223 / 5.56 ammo is at http://www.ammo-oracle.com/ (borrowed the link from the ammo FAQ at AR15.com ;-).

·
Registered
227 Posts
My SL-8 loves 69 grain Sierra Match Kings, both Black Hills factory loads and my hand loads. The SL-8 is marketed as a rifle built for bench / target shooting. Mine loves the 69's and groups them at under an inch at 200 yards. As far as hunting I have no suggestion because we cannot hunt deer with it in this state. As far as practice rounds I use SS 109's or Winchester white box. This rifle loves whatever I feed it!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts