HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been shooting Hornady out of it, but i cant afford to keep doing that. What is the best grain, safest, bulk ammo I can get? Link some stuff.

·
Registered
14 Posts
AMERICAN EAGLE 150 grain is ok ,reloading is not a viable option with a 91 because it destroys the spent shells .Georgia ammo canned heat reloads are ok also .

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Georgia Ammo had 150g at the last show. Does anyone have a specific bullet prefernce. I want to site this puppy in and use the same ammo and be done with it.

·
Registered
198 Posts
"reloading is not a viable option with a 91 because it destroys the spent shells"

BS, this is one of those quotes that get picked up and passed around that won't hold water. The cases look a bit strange but are very useable. I have two 200 round batches and each have six reloads on them. One batch is used for 150g FMJ NATO bullets with 4895 and the other I use 4064 and 168g Sierra FMJBT. So unless you have hand-loaded for the HK's and have had a problem not caused by your skills don't just parrot that old bilge water.

I have been hand-loading for the HK 91 and 93 for twenty years. I have yet to see a destroyed cases or an unuseable case. I get more reloads from a case fired in the HK91 than from cases fired from an M14 type rifle. I do pay attention to case inspection like a demon but find fewer rejects in my 91 cases than other cases fired in another rifle type. But if your not comfy with it don't do it and send me your once used cases esp. the LC and WINCHESTER cases.

Cheers
MJ

·
Registered
256 Posts
For my SAI M1A, Springfield reccomended 168 grain factory load to "smooth out" the new barrel. Since it was not a match barrel, they did not reccomend the shoot 1 clean cycles.

Followed their deal and I have to admit, cleanup is a cinch with it.

Been using Lake City when I can find it.

·
Premium Member
8,625 Posts
"reloading is not a viable option with a 91 because it destroys the spent shells"

BS, this is one of those quotes that get picked up and passed around that won't hold water. The cases look a bit strange but are very useable. I have two 200 round batches and each have six reloads on them. One batch is used for 150g FMJ NATO bullets with 4895 and the other I use 4064 and 168g Sierra FMJBT. So unless you have hand-loaded for the HK's and have had a problem not caused by your skills don't just parrot that old bilge water.

I have been hand-loading for the HK 91 and 93 for twenty years. I have yet to see a destroyed cases or an unuseable case. I get more reloads from a case fired in the HK91 than from cases fired from an M14 type rifle. I do pay attention to case inspection like a demon but find fewer rejects in my 91 cases than other cases fired in another rifle type. But if your not comfy with it don't do it and send me your once used cases esp. the LC and WINCHESTER cases.

Cheers
MJ
MJ - can shells that look like this be reloaded?

And if they can, once they are resized, what happens to the dents? Are they still there, just reduced? Are they popped out the instant the round is fired, and then just put right back an instant later? What about that little nick in the case head? Can that hurt anything?

I want to start reloading them, but they just look so bad.

I've loaded thousands of 12 gauge shotgun shells, but never rifle ammo, so I'm not sure how well the resizing dies work since they can't get down past the reduced neck like a shotgun shell resizer can.

If these can be reloaded, I'll start picking up the secondary projectiles from my 91s, 93s, and SR9T.

·
Registered
887 Posts
My biggest problem with expended brass from my 91 is finding it. The sucker really flings the empties. :)

·
Registered
301 Posts
How much can a guy save by reloading?

You need a loader, bullets, powder, primers and a lot of time.

I'll keep buying new a .50 a shot and spend my spare time fishing.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Dave that is a beat case but yes I would reload it using the guid line in the thread. I don't shootthe HK for score at 600 yards.
We are talking about range shooting for fun from 100 to 300 yards were the small amount of case volume reduction from the dents won't mean much. Plus I don't load over 2400 fps. I don't kow how you got two dents on that case but the case will get uniformed and will load. My cases don't get that dented because I use the port buffer and my cases land about six feet infront to the right. I have always used the buffer and recomend it in any case. I one found a target because I could see cases flying from a scrub bush at 150 yards. For that reason alone I use a port buffer.

I will have to get some pictures up of my HK hand loads and post them. Also I would put you case in a lot that was marked for special attention and if I used it in a none buffered rifle a second time I would end up in the scrap pile. Get a buffer. Keep a stash of new ammo emergency shooting and if you don't hand load and do not plan on it live with the problem. I happen to shoot a lot of old rifles and need quality ammo better than surplus ammo so I'm just extending my shooting pleasure.

Cheers
MJ

Cheers

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Dave, any idea how you got two dents in the case? I get the normal 1, but haven't seen a double dent like that before.

·
Registered
961 Posts
I was thinking about buying a spare ejector and modifing it (shorter) to not send my brass 30' and crushing them. Has anyone tried this yet?

·
Registered
230 Posts
FYI - PMC has a 168 gr load which shoots great out of my .308. Very decent accuracy and not too bad in bulk.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts