HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Premium Member
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am interested in converting a HK-94 into a MP5-N. Who does the best work and has the best reputation?

Terry Dyer
Murry Urbach
Ralph Smith at RTDS

·
Registered
120 Posts
I had Ralph do a MP5SD and a MP5-N for me... Absolutely great!

I also had Mike at TSC "freshen up" and remark a MP5K PDW... Loved his work, too...

·
Registered
36 Posts
S&H Arms of OK

*Terry is not taking any new work/clients. IMHO: Murray and Ralph can be hard to get in touch with at times (and can also take a long... time to finish work). Curtis Higgins of S&H Arms (on the recommended dealer list) is the only one I know of that actually answers his phone and has relatively quick turnaround times and very reasonable prices (e.g. change barrels costs $100). He does top quality work and I have owned several firearms built by him as well as all of the other mentioned gunsmiths. Curtis just finished an H&K53 for me built from a brand new H&K post-gun 53 and new 93 host receiver. Best build I have seen so far for a "true" transferrable 53.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Mike at TSC Machine. He does factory perfect work including the restamp - not factory "pretty good" work. He is easy to get ahold of and his turnaround times are consistent and reasonable. He is top notch in terms of both craftsmanship and reliability.

I have seen and owned good work from some of the other smiths mentioned as well, but I really have liked Mike for the reasons stated above

·
Premium Member
8,625 Posts
I can vouch for Curtis Higgins.
I saw an MP5 that was done by him recently. While the turnaround time was very fast, it looked it. The remarking appeared to have been done with actual metal stamps instead of engraving. The finish wasn't so nice either, it seriously looked like Krylon. He would have been about $300 cheaper than Urbach, but I wasn't at all impressed with the workmanship. I was about to meet him in Tulsa to drop mine off when I saw that one, and heard others have similar experiences.

I will say this - in my experience, Urbach does MP5s in a resonable amount of time because he does so many of them and the work is so straightforward. Mine was done in about 4 weeks. But then he's had a 91 in for a G3K conversion since April 1st. The last time I stopped by was in June, he said "3 or 4 more weeks, I'll call you when it's done."

But everything I've seen from him is absolutely flawless. He had a bucket of a dozen beat to hell DOJ HK94s. He'd already finished 3 of them, they looked as good as mine that was made from a 94 that had only a few hundred rounds through it.

Everything I've ever heard about TSC Machine, Investmentgradefirearms, and RDTS are similar to my experiences with Urbach, but Urbach beat their pricing by several hundred dollars. The main price difference was in the burst pack conversion - the other guys wanted $300+ to install my sear, Urbach charged $150.

·
Registered
390 Posts
I just had a HK53 built by TSC Machine & all I can say is that it was the best build experience I have ever had period & I have had guns built by all of the top builders besides S&H arms. Everything with the build was 100% perfect & the customer service is better than anyone I have dealt with not to mention they will return your gun when promised & talk to on the phone if you have any questions.

·
Registered
28 Posts
TSC Machine will do all my work, not only is Mike local for me, but he is personable and very responsive.He did my MP-5/N in about 1 1/2 - 2 weeks. At the time he was using Lauer for the refinish, but I opted to refinish myself. I had him do the Paddle Mag, Remark, Threaded Three Lug Adapter, and the FBI pack in a 3rd Burst Lower fo $1235.00. He returned all of my original parts aswell. I parked it at home and applied a matte black ceramic enamel and baked it in my oven for 4 hours.

·
Premium Member
8,625 Posts
I just had a HK53 built by TSC Machine & all I can say is that it was the best build experience I have ever had period & I have had guns built by all of the top builders besides S&H arms. Everything with the build was 100% perfect & the customer service is better than anyone I have dealt with not to mention they will return your gun when promised & talk to on the phone if you have any questions.
Money- what did that run you? I've got two 53 kits, I'm trying to decide if I want to do them both myself, or have one done by one of the more experienced pros and I'll copy it for the second. I have all the equipment I need to do it myelf except I can't remark it because I don't have an engraver.

My Urbach MP5-N conversion was "only" $900 including paddle mag release installation, replacing the barrel, remark, refinish, and sear into burst pack. It seems like a 53 build would involve the exact same amount of work, except for not needing the burst pack as it's already done. I'm thinking he would charge me about $750 based on what my MP5 cost.

·
Premium Member
8,625 Posts
TSC Machine will do all my work, not only is Mike local for me, but he is personable and very responsive.He did my MP-5/N in about 1 1/2 - 2 weeks. At the time he was using Lauer for the refinish, but I opted to refinish myself. I had him do the Paddle Mag, Remark, Threaded Three Lug Adapter, and the FBI pack in a 3rd Burst Lower fo $1235.00. He returned all of my original parts aswell. I parked it at home and applied a matte black ceramic enamel and baked it in my oven for 4 hours.
Wow, you did an outstanding job on the refinish. So you can just park the entire thing, barrel, trunnion, triple frame and all? Just remove all the loose parts? Do the welds take the parkerizing as well?

I was just looking at a Summit Racing catalog tonight - they have powder coat kits that are very affordable now, thought I might try it on one of my heavily used shooters.

·
Registered
8,401 Posts
My Urbach MP5-N conversion was "only" $900 including paddle mag release installation, replacing the barrel, remark, refinish, and sear into burst pack. It seems like a 53 build would involve the exact same amount of work, except for not needing the burst pack as it's already done. I'm thinking he would charge me about $750 based on what my MP5 cost.
If you are using a 53 kit, the job includes replacing the cocking tube...that's one of the biggest reasons for getting a 53 kit in the first place (plus an original barrel is nice too). Otherwise, the smith has to cut into the receiver of the gun to form the cocking notch (or use the RDTS method of moving the cocking mechanism forward).

·
Registered
390 Posts
Money- what did that run you? I've got two 53 kits, I'm trying to decide if I want to do them both myself, or have one done by one of the more experienced pros and I'll copy it for the second. I have all the equipment I need to do it myelf except I can't remark it because I don't have an engraver.

I believe the build was $1250.00 but since I bought some other parts from TSC I am not 100% shure. All I can say is that I am a perfectionist when it comes to my HK builds & Mike & Tammy @ TSC have been the only builders that have built a factory perfect gun with first class service.

·
Registered
52 Posts
TSC Machine is who gets my business. 2 MP5, and a 21E so far. I researched for 3 years on my 21 before I sent it to anyone to get totaly rebuilt. I picked TSC, and can't be happier.

I will say this - in my experience, Urbach does MP5s in a resonable amount of time because he does so many of them and the work is so straightforward. Mine was done in about 4 weeks. But then he's had a 91 in for a G3K conversion since April 1st. The last time I stopped by was in June, he said "3 or 4 more weeks, I'll call you when it's done."
You've got to be kidding. Urbach is known world wide to take the longest time to return any work. A simple search on the internet will show volumes of complaints and his inability to get in contact with him. I used him once. Never again. Yes he does beautiful work, but I know personally people who have waited years to get stuff back from him. Only a fool would send anything to Urbach if you want it back in your lifetime. You better send a case of beer with your gun.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts