HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello all,

I have falled for HK hard core. I just got a Tactical Fullsize and love the hell out of it! now i am looking at replacing my Glock 22 for my CCW. what do you guys use and do you have any good thoughts on this for me?

Ducman82

·
Registered
172 Posts
For concealed-carry, I think most people would agree that the best HK pistol is the P7 series.

http://www.hkpro.com/p7m8.htm

There are several versions of this pistol available, the link above is specifically for the P7M8, which retails brand new for $1300-1400.

What makes the P7 so excellent for concealed-carry is it's squeeze-cocker on the front of the pistol grip. You can carry it with a round chambered, pull the pistol, squeeze the grip and it's cocked. Un-squeeze the grip and it's decocked. It is a small frame pistol, short and thin in the hand because the bullets are single-stack in the magazine.

Here's a little story about my personal experience with the HK P7.

I had heard about the P7 on these boards and had seen how everybody raved about them. I was at the local range taking my new USC/UMP conversion out for it's first bit of shooting, and the guy next to me at the range had a P7M8. As he was shooting I'd lean back and look and think "whoa that might be a P7M8". And then I noticed that as I was shooting he would lean back and look at what I was shooting. During one reload we both looked at each other, pointed at the other person's gun and said "hey is that a" and started laughing. We traded weapons and both had a great time.

His P7M8 was a fantastic pistol, but the only problem with it was the price. $1300+ is pretty steep for a pistol, considering I had paid that much for my USC.

Not a month later, H&K began releasing P7/PSP police trade-in pistols to the US consumer market. These are P7's that were used by European police forces (mostly west German if I remember right), then traded back in to H&K and refurbished before selling them to people in the US. There were 3 grades, A through C, in order of quality/condition of the firearms.

I paid $800 for my Grade A setup, which included an additional magazine, and I admittedly paid a little higher because mine was an exceptional Grade A pistol. Grade B's go in the $550-600+ range, C's for a little less again.

My logic was that I could get a P7 that was basically half price of what a brand new one would cost. I figured in 10 years nobody would know the difference so I jumped at the chance.

So that would be my advice to you, for a good concealable pistol. Look hard at the P7 series, and if you're interested, start looking around for the police trade-in ones. If you go on Gunbroker and search for "P7" you will see plenty of them.

·
Premium Member
1,704 Posts
You can also find P series at CDNN for great prices. The thing you will find is that everyone here carries what they personally like! I carry my HK USPf Tach in 45 a lot of the time. I also carry my USPf 40 variant 1, and I carry an P2000SK in 40S&W LEM, I also like to carry my P7M8 in 9mm.

The thing you have to keep in mind is what do you shoot well? How or where do you plan on carring? Do you need to be dressed up? Is the climate unseasonably warm most of the time? Do you have to CC for work? Do you get to dress casual? All are things to consider. If you go with a belt holster, you will need a decent belt. How much do you want to spent on a carry weapon?

You will find a lot of guy's that carry a USPc 45 all of the time. You will also need a good holster. Do you want to carry Inside the Waist, or Outside The Waist?

Two good holster suppliers are www.fist-inc.com and www.andrewsleather.com They both make great holsters and all of the ones they make are for a good variety of HK's Fist is a very reasonable price company. Andrews are more custom and a little pricer. Both don't have long turn arounds. TJ

·
Registered
886 Posts
P7PSP, or the P7M8 for certain. Made for carry with a good IWB. Also safe as all get out and accurate to boot. the M10 and M13 are a bit bulky for easy concealment IMHO. Check one out, it might be to your liking.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for the info everyone! now i just need to get my ass to th gun shop and take a look around and see what feels better.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts