HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know holster wear is considered to give a gun character. However I'm kind of anal about keeping my new USPc looking new.

I don't plan to carry my USPc (thats what my Glock 26 is for). I'll use it at the range, on car trips and maybe some practical pistol shooting.

What, in your experience: is the best holster material/brand that will minimize wear: Leather, Nylon, Kydex (?).

Thanks

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
There's a company that makes them out of Unobtanium. It's the only way to go. I had them make me a cover for the head of my hammer because it was getting scratched up from hitting nails. :D

·
Registered
48 Posts
I know holster wear is considered to give a gun character. However I'm kind of anal about keeping my new USPc looking new.

I don't plan to carry my USPc (thats what my Glock 26 is for). I'll use it at the range, on car trips and maybe some practical pistol shooting.

What, in your experience: is the best holster material/brand that will minimize wear: Leather, Nylon, Kydex (?).

Thanks
There's an amazing holster that will never scratch your gun: the safe.

Guns are tools, not jewelry.

·
Registered
4,181 Posts
I love the honest holster wear leather gives. If you're afraid of a little wear keep your USPc in the box it came in or get a leather holster, holster it and never unholster it. lol ;)

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
If holster wear bothers you then you shouldn't carry a HK, you should carry a Glock. That Glock Tenifer is unreal crazy good.

But if I was you I'd go with any good leather holster, you'll get holster wear but atleast it won't be as bad as the wear from Kydex holsters. Or get a Uncle Mike's nylon holster.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Leather holster. I've seen some kydex holsters with felt lining in them, good stuff too.

This "don't worry about holster wear/scratches/etc..." because "guns are tools" stuff gets real irritating real fast, my vehicle is a tool, it's done many amazing things, saved a few lives in the process too, I use it properly, though even at 12 years old it still looks remarkable because I take care of it. There is no reason not to protect and care for anything you own.

·
Registered
4,181 Posts
Leather holster. I've seen some kydex holsters with felt lining in them, good stuff too.

This "don't worry about holster wear/scratches/etc..." because "guns are tools" stuff gets real irritating real fast, my vehicle is a tool, it's done many amazing things, saved a few lives in the process too, I use it properly, though even at 12 years old it still looks remarkable because I take care of it. There is no reason not to protect and care for anything you own.
It may still look remarkebly well but anything that gets real use is going to wear. Don't get me wrong I like to take care of my things as well but there is just no getting around it. Nothing lasts forever.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts

I agree to a point. Not abusing your tools is one thing but this "search for a holster that's made of baby kittens" thing gets annoying too. I think somewhere in the middle is realistic.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I agree to a point. Not abusing your tools is one thing but this "search for a holster that's made of baby kittens" thing gets annoying too. I think somewhere in the middle is realistic.
It may still look remarkebly well but anything that gets real use is going to wear. Don't get me wrong I like to take care of my things as well but there is just no getting around it. Nothing lasts forever.
Of course it's going to get wear, but there is no reason not to try and minimize how much wear it gets over time.

Upon that note, I prefer spending a little more and getting the upgraded holster made of baby seal fur and whale skin.

·
Registered
4,181 Posts
Of course it's going to get wear, but there is no reason not to try and minimize how much wear it gets over time.
Upon that note, I prefer spending a little more and getting the upgraded holster made of baby seal fur and whale skin.
Understandable.. why put more wear and tear on something when it's unnecessary.. I agree.

·
Premium Member
5,017 Posts
I found the number one best holster to keep guns looking pristine! But it is made of glass. It's called the dealer's case. Don't buy it and it will never get a scratch.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
I found the number one best holster to keep guns looking pristine! But it is made of glass. It's called the dealer's case. Don't buy it and it will never get a scratch.
Bingo!

OP,

Any holster will put wear on the finish. Respectfully, anyone who says one type of material will wear it less than the others is mistaken. That's called perception. The finish will wear about the same rate.......something is holding the gun using friction. Friction wears the black oxide finish. You can't get around that.

Also, just because Brand X wears a finish more than others, and Brand X is made of kydex, does not mean kydex will wear a gun faster. That just means that Brand X wears a gun's finish quickly. I don't even know how people came about the idea that kydex wears a finish quicker than leather to begin with......a quality kydex holster is supremely slick and smooth on the inside.

To the other side conversation going on:
There's a BIG difference between taking care of your gear and trying to keep your gear from showing any use.

Taking care of your gear = conservation.
Trying to eliminate any wear from occurring = preservation.

Two totally different endstates that are achieved through two totally different processes. Just because I treat my gun as a tool, and could care less if it gets worn looking, does not mean I don't take care for my gear or conserve its functionality.

Back to the OP,

Think about what purpose you bought the gun for. Your answer lies there.

A) You bought it to use.

or...

B) You bought it to preserve.

You can't have both.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Jeez, tough crowd, Let the OP baby his first new HK for a while. He did say he is willing to trash his 26. All good

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for everyone's input on this, all valid points.

I didn't buy my HK to be a safe queen. After a while I'll get over the unrealistic hang-up that it has to stay pristine.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I didn't buy my HK to be a safe queen. After a while I'll get over the unrealistic hang-up that it has to stay pristine.
Good, now go outside and drop it in the driveway!

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Leather, and particularly, horsehide. Kramer makes very nice ones but be prepared to wait, but it's worth it. You just dropped close to a grand or so, don't be cheap now.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts