HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am about to make the jump to my first roller lock firearm. I have decided on the MP5 SD. Of course I cannot afford the original HK version, I wish I could....

Anyway, I have looked for information and I have seen offerings from TPM, Omega, Coharie, DakotaTactical (can't find one of those for sale). What is the best place to start?

The Coharie version I have found has the Coharie can, which seems to be very heavy and I am not 100% familiar with the quality. Nice price.
TPM has a nice version but it is 50% more expensive than the Coharie.
Omega looks nice, but I do not want to deal with having the upper engraved, I would rather it all ready be ready for my stamps. Again, nice price. Not sure about reliability.

Can someone sway me in the correct direction?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
104 Posts
TPM and Omega both offer uppers as well. Engraving isn't that bad, the difference is you will be waiting 8 or more months. TPM and PCS also make excellent built SD's........I just purchased a TPM can for my Omega Upper.

·
H&K Certified Armorer
8,216 Posts
We were hoping to have our SDs out this past Fall however we fell behind in getting our new handguard support cages spec'd. They are at the machine shop now and we are waiting on the final proof piece for validation. We have a project with Silencerco that will likely be queued up first, followed by the SDs. Our guns will include B&T suppressors. We are also exploring another brand of SD suppressor to further expand our product family.

Cheers,
Joe

·
Registered
3,468 Posts
I am about to make the jump to my first roller lock firearm. I have decided on the MP5 SD. Of course I cannot afford the original HK version, I wish I could....

Anyway, I have looked for information and I have seen offerings from TPM, Omega, Coharie, DakotaTactical (can't find one of those for sale). What is the best place to start?

The Coharie version I have found has the Coharie can, which seems to be very heavy and I am not 100% familiar with the quality. Nice price.
TPM has a nice version but it is 50% more expensive than the Coharie.
Omega looks nice, but I do not want to deal with having the upper engraved, I would rather it all ready be ready for my stamps. Again, nice price. Not sure about reliability.

Can someone sway me in the correct direction?

Thanks
Congratulations on your decision to start collecting roller locked guns. They can be very addicting. So we are clear, most all of these clones are sold a pistols. I'm guessing the "engraving" that you are referring to is to register the pistol as a Short Barreled Rifle via a Form 1. If so you are filing the Form 1. As the "maker" of the firearm your name (or that of the entity you create like a trust or corporation) city and state needs to be on the barrel or receiver of the firearm. BTW roller locked guns don't have "uppers" and "lowers". The proper terms are "barreled receiver" or "receiver", and "trigger groups". That is the nomenclature the original manufacturer (HK) came up with.

I am guessing you would like to have a stock to shoulder the firearm? If so that firearm must be registered as a SBR with the National Firearms Branch of the BATF&E. If you are not interested in engraving the barreled receiver with your information, then you can have a Special Operational Taxpayer (SOT) manufacturer file a Form 2 and they engrave their information on it. If you don't want any additional information on the barreled receiver then you could have the original manufacturer file the Form 2. That SBR like the SD can would need to be transferred to a NFA dealer in your state, then transferred to you. Coharie Arms is no longer in business so they can't file a Form 2. You could have TPM, Omega, or Dakota Tactical file a Form 2. You can check with Joe at DT about when the next run of SDs will be.

As far as the SD can, the Coharie Arms and early Omega use stainless steel internals and registered tube. TPM, Rim Country Machine, and newer Omega SD cans use aluminum. I know RCM uses anodized aluminum. I think TPM also anodizes their SD parts. I am not sure about Omega. RCM sells the parts but doesn't make the guns. But there are several builders here that will build the gun for you from a flat or receiver.

To me a SD is designed to work with a can or a dummy sleeve (a solid piece of aluminum in the shape of a SD can with a change of locking piece) so this is more of a NFA firearm. There has been extensive threads on the NFA forum with more detailed information of the SD platform there. I own a CA SD pistol and can. I also had Jeff make me two 9mm SDs (one with welded rails at 3 ,6, and 9 o'clock and one with the standard rubberized hand guard) using the RCM/US made front end using Special Weapons full size 9mm receivers. The RCM and the CA SD cans are of the same design. I had RCM "upgrade" my CA stainless steel can with their anodized aluminum internals and shaved off over one and a half pounds off the weight off the CA SD can. I'm sure using the search feature will get you additional information. Good luck with your SD project.

Scott

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you for all the replies,

Yes scottinthegrove. I would like a stock instead of it being a pistol. I am familiar enough with the process that I have to go through with the form 1 and form 4 and long wait times. That is why I thought it might be easier to just purchase a pre made gun instead of a custom build because of the overall ease.

I was wondering more between the quality between the Coharie and TPM guns? Is it worth the extra $1400? I know original parts fit on the TPM, not so sure about the Coharie arms piece.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
We were hoping to have our SDs out this past Fall however we fell behind in getting our new handguard support cages spec'd. They are at the machine shop now and we are waiting on the final proof piece for validation. We have a project with Silencerco that will likely be queued up first, followed by the SDs. Our guns will include B&T suppressors. We are also exploring another brand of SD suppressor to further expand our product family.

Cheers,
Joe
Thank you for the reply Joe,

DT has a great reputation. When do you think you will have finished rifles ready? Do you have a price of what they will sell for?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
TPM and Omega both offer uppers as well. Engraving isn't that bad, the difference is you will be waiting 8 or more months. TPM and PCS also make excellent built SD's........I just purchased a TPM can for my Omega Upper.
Yes, the TPM looks like a great choice and everyone seems to like the Omega as well. The Omega upper doesn't seem to take stock HK trigger packs though correct?

·
Premium Member
104 Posts
Yes, the TPM looks like a great choice and everyone seems to like the Omega as well. The Omega upper doesn't seem to take stock HK trigger packs though correct?
I purchased a Trigger pack for HKparts.net and it fit fine.........and let me clarify that LOL a semi auto navy lower.

·
Registered
704 Posts

Cheers,
Joe
Are you making the handguards different or just making your own cage because the existing ones are not up to the original spec?

·
H&K Certified Armorer
8,216 Posts
Thank you for the reply Joe,

DT has a great reputation. When do you think you will have finished rifles ready? Do you have a price of what they will sell for?
Thank you for the kid words! We are hoping to have pricing nailed down within the next couple of week. They will be price just a tad bit higher than our non-SD models, plus the cost of the suppressor.

Are you making the handguards different or just making your own cage because the existing ones are not up to the original spec?
Simply a new cage that is closer to the original German cage. We do have M-LOK and Keymod variants in the works however don't expect to see those until likely next year as we are exploring attachment methods and plan to put them through a considerable amount of testing before release. As with our current MP5/MP5K handguards, they may not be the first to market but we will take our time to ensure everything is proper.

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
What use is a search function if no one ever uses it?? I swear there is nothing more common on this site than multiple freaking threads where the OP asked the same question. I personally find it irritating, and know I'm not the only one because I've had this conversation with multiple fellow members either in person, on the phone, or by PM when discussing the site.

When you ask a question, especially something like this one, you are basically saying, "I'm too lazy to do my own research, please answer my question for me."

There is a practical aspect to this whole thing, having one thread as opposed to 5 of them is much more efficient and keeps all the info/responses in one spot for easy reference. It's not all about you and your concern of today, literally thousands of people will wind up benefiting from the content of a thread such as this one. How about if we make it easy on everyone?

·
H&K Certified Armorer
8,216 Posts

·
H&K Certified Armorer
8,216 Posts

·
H&K Certified Armorer
8,216 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
What use is a search function if no one ever uses it?? I swear there is nothing more common on this site than multiple freaking threads where the OP asked the same question. I personally find it irritating, and know I'm not the only one because I've had this conversation with multiple fellow members either in person, on the phone, or by PM when discussing the site.

When you ask a question, especially something like this one, you are basically saying, "I'm too lazy to do my own research, please answer my question for me."

There is a practical aspect to this whole thing, having one thread as opposed to 5 of them is much more efficient and keeps all the info/responses in one spot for easy reference. It's not all about you and your concern of today, literally thousands of people will wind up benefiting from the content of a thread such as this one. How about if we make it easy on everyone?
Thank you for confirming that the internet is filled with absolute ass hats.....

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
Thank you for confirming that the internet is filled with absolute ass hats.....
For the record, you are the one doing the name calling. Did I even mention you by name or quote you? So, here's the juice dude, I've been on this site since 2004. You got here what, a year ago?

ALL the information you asked for AND MORE had already been posted. All you had to do is look, and then participate in a thread that already had multiple pages of exactly the information that you seek, and discussion thereof. Now you know.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts