HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking into the adcor b.e.a.r. elite and was gonna grab an eotech 516 or xps2 then I thought, for the price of the two of those I could get a mr556. Of course i'd rather have the mr556 being that it would complimemt my p30 oh so well and that I love hk's.

I was browsing through the cdnn pdf amd maybe I just missed it but does anyone how much they run there (if at all)?

who has the best deals on mr556's that you guys know of?

·
Registered
18,641 Posts
CDNN doesn't have MR556. There are a couple of stores that have the MR556's but you also want to check out gunbroker.

·
Banned
4,248 Posts
The best deal is probably going to be here in the For Sale section. Just keep a sharp eye out. At one time, they seemed to be around the $2400-2500 mark, after looking at the gunbroker prices, i'm not sure what happened.

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
An LGS around here has them in stock for 2899 and every now and then they do a 2499 deal. Of course when I have the fun money, the sale is not going on. But I guess gunbrokers gonna be my best bet then?

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The best deal is probably going to be here in the For Sale section. Just keep a sharp eye out. At one time, they seemed to be around the $2400-2500 mark, after looking at the gunbroker prices, i'm not sure what happened.
thats what I was thinking I thought id be right around 2k for the bear and hws so why not just fork up a few hundred more for the hk, but 900 is quite a bit more then a few

·
Banned
4,248 Posts
This is not just an HK enthusiast talking, but IF you are going to spend $2k+ on a piston rifle, I would definitely go with the HK. Are you for sure set on a piston driven system? What are your intentions if you don't mind my asking?

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This is not just an HK enthusiast talking, but IF you are going to spend $2k+ on a piston rifle, I would definitely go with the HK. Are you for sure set on a piston driven system? What are your intentions if you don't mind my asking?
I mean of course its pretty much going to be a range queen, but it will be my first piston ar (owned a couple bushy DI's in the past). The only reason why I even mention/consider the adcor is I like the "ak-ish" bcg/op rod and the dust wiper on ejection port and the forward charging handle. Their bcg design completely eliminates tilt. I know all piston companies say that, but the bcg literally cannot tilt with their design. Not that I would expect tilt to be an issue with the mr556.

·
Banned
879 Posts
To be sure, I seriously doubt adcors claims.

I've seen their design and what it does is place all of the stresses on the op-rod instead of spreading them around to multiple contact points.

And there will alwasy be flex in the system. Their design does a pretty good job of focusing the stress onto the oprod, but there will always be inertia in the BCG that will cause system flex and excessive wear on various parts of the op-rod and its contact points in the upper receiver.

I'm also not a big fan of their "gas block" which isn't actually attached to the barrel. Seems to be a focus point for crap to lodge in when the barrel flexes. And in case you're wondering, yes, barrels flex.

I'd like to see a high speed vid of the bear system being fired before I placed much more trust in their system. I'd also like to see a heavy use under poor conditions test. I know the system can supposedly shoot thousands of rounds malfunction free, but so far that's only been in a "range" environment. How about a test under real "working" conditions.

Lastly, they've had issues with their charging handles nad excessive wear. It wouldn't be so bad if they didn't cop a ****ty attitude about it and actually tried fixing the issue, but that is not the route they chose.

·
Banned
4,248 Posts
I'm with Grumpy on this one. I could easily foresee op rod issues given that it supposedly takes a good deal of stress. That forward cocking lever (which looks like it engages the op rod if i'm correct) looks like a solution looking for a problem. I would also be curious to see how that polymer wiper holds up over time as well. Same goes with the detachable gas block. I see nothing but big problems with their "solutions".

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I hear ya, and thats one reason why im debating it. But really what does the mr556 offer over say a $2k nib lwrc or lmt or rec7?

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
To be sure, I seriously doubt adcors claims.

I've seen their design and what it does is place all of the stresses on the op-rod instead of spreading them around to multiple contact points.

And there will alwasy be flex in the system. Their design does a pretty good job of focusing the stress onto the oprod, but there will always be inertia in the BCG that will cause system flex and excessive wear on various parts of the op-rod and its contact points in the upper receiver.

I'm also not a big fan of their "gas block" which isn't actually attached to the barrel. Seems to be a focus point for crap to lodge in when the barrel flexes. And in case you're wondering, yes, barrels flex.

I'd like to see a high speed vid of the bear system being fired before I placed much more trust in their system. I'd also like to see a heavy use under poor conditions test. I know the system can supposedly shoot thousands of rounds malfunction free, but so far that's only been in a "range" environment. How about a test under real "working" conditions.

Lastly, they've had issues with their charging handles nad excessive wear. It wouldn't be so bad if they didn't cop a ****ty attitude about it and actually tried fixing the issue, but that is not the route they chose.
Their gasblock design is what gives it supposedly the only truely free floated barrel for a piston ar, according to them of course

·
Banned
879 Posts
Their gasblock design is what gives it supposedly the only truely free floated barrel for a piston ar, according to them of course
And they're correct.....to a point.

The thing about "working guns" is that where **** can work its way into, it WILL.

Barrels flex during firing. Not a lot, but they do. Now imagine a working gun and all the subsequent use that comes with it. They get gear dropped on them, they get bumped around, they get dirty (not just from being shot), they have all sorts of stresses placed on them.

How would you like a gun that had some piece of detritus or gear get wedged between the fancy gas block and barrel that opened up the port and allowed gas to escape, thusly turning your gun into a single shot rifle?

Now, I don't know if that is exactly what would happen as I have no working knowledge of adcors gun, but these are potential problems that I see and would prevent me from making such design choices.

In my personal opinion, any mechanical piece of equipment that is meant for general use by a large number of users with a wide variety of skillsets and different levels of knowledge about the machines in question, I would go for simple, durable, and reliable before I tried tweaking crap like making the barrel free floating for some supposed gain in accuracy.

And about that....if these things are meant to be such great "working guns", why are they concerned with making the gun more accurate then the shooter in the first place?

Just seems like an answer to a non-existant problem if you ask me.

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I completely agree, bear is a no go. I never really looked at lwrcs too closely besides my wetdream the r.e.p.r., but does anyone here have trigger time behind both the mr556 and say a m6a2 spr or any variant?

·
Banned
4,248 Posts
Read G3Kurz's post on why the 416 (mainly the operating system the MR556 uses) is so effective: http://www.hkpro.com/forum/hk416-hk...-why-hk-416-mr-556-superior-ar-15-design.html

I won't lie to you and say that the MR556 is as good as the 416. HK cut a few corners on the finishing touches; most of which can be addressed easily if one is inclined to do so. The hot button issue is the lack of a chrome lined barrel. Some (like Grumpy for example) are all about getting it lined with nitride, melonite or whatever. It will function just fine as is and serve the purposes you listed just fine.

Here is a write-up comparing the LMT piston vs the 416:
LMT MRP piston vs. HK 416 - M4Carbine.net Forums

There was a pissing match on here not too long ago regarding where the LWRC stands in comparison to the HK. There was really no solid info one way or the other, so I see no need to dig up that link.

I'm not a big fan of LWRC guns, but I will give them credit in that they have been in the piston game a while unlike many of the other upstarts and retrofit companies. They also offer different configurations. Most folks don't seem to have issues; a small percentage do. Personally, there's nothing about it that impresses me enough to pay $500+ dollars more than a top tier DI AR with all the right fixin's.

·
Banned
879 Posts
Other then a few early issues with gas ports in the LMTs and some accuracy issues in the LWRCs (some shooters reported not being able to get better then 6 or more MOA out of some of the early LWRC piston guns), the LMT and LWRC piston guns are GTG and a good alternative to the HK.

I'd own either.

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Other then a few early issues with gas ports in the LMTs and some accuracy issues in the LWRCs (some shooters reported not being able to get better then 6 or more MOA out of some of the early LWRC piston guns), the LMT and LWRC piston guns are GTG and a good alternative to the HK.

I'd own either.
well I think my decision just got a lil easier, even though the m6a2 spr is 200 less, has the r.e.p.r. handguard and the spiral fluted barrel and nickel boron coated bolt,bcg,firecontrol and trigger

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Adventure outdoors out of smyrna,ga. They have an online store, but I believe thats in store pricing as I was looking at their site last night and it was listed at 2899, of course add 3% if not paying cash.

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I have a store locally here in michigan that had a new MR556 on sale for $2100 out the door.
had a? Or sells for 2100? If they just sell them for 21, thats awesome, might need to get the stores name

1 - 20 of 22 Posts