HKPRO Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
First of all, thank you for reading my post. I'm excited to join your forum.

But now to business.

I am looking for information and options on MP5 type host guns for a registered trigger pack. I see a few options out there but I am not sure the premium some command gets you the amount of value a lower priced option would.

I want an SBR model, or possibly an SD type model. I like the SD type a lot, but have read they might not be as reliable? Any truth to this?

I don't want to shoot an original HK to death, but I guess if the cost isn't that different, that may be the route to go.

Which clones do you guys like as host for a registered trigger pack and why?

Thank you,
Devin

·
Premium Member
1,532 Posts
Welcome to HKPro

There are lots of good ones out there. The least expensive MP5's that are likely to run with a few hundred dollar investment are the Coharie clones. I run an MP5k and an MP5 with my registered sear and they eat ammo all day long without a hiccup. I had to change bolt heads, but after that they were fine.

You can get some very fine guns indeed from Michaels Machines (Mike Otte), Ghilliebear (Jeff Walters), Chopstix Kid (Joe) as well. Give them each a call and talk to them if you have specific needs.

All of these builders are less expensive than original HK.

Here is a CA94 doing its thing...

·
Premium Member
1,737 Posts
I am looking for information and options on MP5 type host guns for a registered trigger pack. I see a few options out there but I am not sure the premium some command gets you the amount of value a lower priced option would.
Depends how much time you want to take screwing with it to get it to work vs. have it just work right straight out of the box. My time is valuable, and I like to shoot not gunsmith and parts swap.

I want an SBR model, or possibly an SD type model. I like the SD type a lot, but have read they might not be as reliable? Any truth to this?
You getting answers on ar15.com about H&K's again?

No no truth to it. SD's are plenty reliable. ANY suppressed gun runs dirty, very dirty, and dirt will lead to malfunctions in any gun. Figure 300-500 rounds on a SD before you are going to have to clean the action/bolt head/ trunion.

I don't want to shoot an original HK to death, but I guess if the cost isn't that different, that may be the route to go.
Ya, the MP5's only go 300,000k rounds or so, before needing work, so I could understand why you wouldn't want to shoot one to death as it would cost you $50,000+ in ammo before you would have to spend $500 on a new barrel. Shame they wear out so quick.

Which clones do you guys like as host for a registered trigger pack and why?
There isn't one I don't like.

#1 favorite 53ar. #2 favorite, mm23e.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you both for the informative replies.

I would be the type that likes something to work right away, without having to screw around with it.

You guys seem to be in the know so what would a reasonable price for an SD model mp5 type clone be?

I saw one and the guy wanted $12,000 for it. I about died when he told me.

Thanks again.

·
Premium Member
1,532 Posts
That's the beauty of a registered pack or a registered sear...you can try different hosts until the cows come home. I love the G3K myself...then again, I really like the MP5k...but damn...I dream about shooting my MM23e...see what I mean? As soon as you get one, you just have to have another. Come to think about it, leave now...save your money. LOL

·
Premium Member
2,159 Posts
That's the beauty of a registered pack or a registered sear...you can try different hosts until the cows come home. I love the G3K myself...then again, I really like the MP5k...but damn...I dream about shooting my MM23e...see what I mean? As soon as you get one, you just have to have another. Come to think about it, leave now...save your money. LOL
My story too. I had a .40, got a k, build a g3k...now I want a belt fed :( May build out an SD since RCM finished their run of suppressors.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Give Ghillie a call. He will walk you through what you need to have one built. He's built 9 clones for me and i'm happy with all of them. I keep the true HK's as safe queens. I like the mp5k just for the rate of fire.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What do you guys think of this?

MP5SD Pistol by RDTS $5500 (Only 6 MP5SD HE left, and one MP5KSD HE config)

This is available as a one stamp MP5SD Pistol/Suppressor (Suppressor Stamp)or a two stamp (SBR/Suppressor).This is a VERY limited run built on the MKE Arms 94P Pistol. We chose MKE 94P as an alternative to building on a $4500 HK94, but with the benefit of a HK authorized contract military spec firearm. Why roll the dice on a non RDTS clone gun? Of course if you’d like we can offer you one of our builds with LSC flats and an HK German parts set that are as dependable and beautiful as the HK Factory German builds for the same price.

This is built to our exact standards that go into every MP5SD we build. We've been building MP5SD's since 1988 probably longer than anyone still in business. Here are some of the additional benefits you get with a RDTS built MKE host MP5SD:

1. We install a HK GERMAN BARREL to machine and port. Hammer forged is the way to go!

2. Remove the 1/4" square and replace it with a HK receiver ledge for the trigger group and machine the group to fit on the ledge. This insures any HK German semi-auto spec group will fit on this MP5SD.

3. Remark "MP5SD", we use the same engraving as a Dealer Sample SD minus the HK.

4. Strip and refinish in our "EXACT HK BLACK MOLY" that no cleaning solvent is going to touch.

RDTS MP5SD built on MKE 94P (SBR) test fire before ship session. - YouTube

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
If youre gonna spend that kind of money, you may as well buy a SD that is a converted German HK94. The "best value" in my opinion is a custom build by Ghilliebear. His customer service is top notch and you wont find a nicer guy to deal with. I'd take a Ghilliebear/Prusik custom build over a Coharie any day.

·
Premium Member
1,737 Posts
also the MKE guns have a Full auto carrier block in them, so they are not usable as sear hosts at this time. I know people are working on methods to get the MKE guns to work as hosts, but last I knew of they were still not ATF approved.

If you can find a coharie gun, its probably going to set you back almost $3k.. and thats the bottom of the price ladder.

·
Vendor
8,218 Posts
Remember the golden rule...
"you get what you pay for"
MM
+1.

My guns aren't for everybody as you will wait nearly 8 months for one (although that should drop significantly soon). Considering that my German kit built D54P is only about $100 more than some of the other advertised models and that all my German kit guns comes with brand new furniture and brand new extractor spring I think makes it an outstanding value, respectively.

They say a photo is worth a thousand words...

http://www.hkpro.com/forum/dakota-tactical/149582-gallery-dakota-tactical.html

http://www.hkpro.com/forum/dakota-tactical/158071-will-hk-please-stand-up-pic-heavy.html

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
You do some nice work sir.

Does anyone know if a PTR 91 GI would function as a host gun? I guess I would need a new lower, but what else would have to be done to it?

Thanks

·
Vendor
6,925 Posts

Does anyone know if a PTR 91 GI would function as a host gun? I guess I would need a new lower, but what else would have to be done to it?

Thanks
New
Bolt carrier or have the one the gun welded up

·
Premium Member
1,737 Posts
Perhaps a new lower needed, but not likely, just move the registered FA pack over to the PTR. Have to swap ejectors if coming from a non-308 gun, but thats a < 30 second job.

the ptr91 in 7.62 isn't a great host. any 762 has a LOT of muzzle rise, once you get it under control and get back on target the mag is empty.

·
Vendor
8,218 Posts

Thanks
Thank you. As Jeff noted, you'll need a full-auto bolt carrier and as jdonovan noted, the mag will be empty by the time you get it under control. If you do opt for it, I would also suggest getting a factory German handguard and putting the bi-pod on it... they are much more controllable when using the bi-pod.

·
Premium Member
1,737 Posts
if you really want to run a 762 - full auto, then get one of the x-91 50 round drums. Figure you will get 1, perhaps 2 before you have a LONG cool down period.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Yeah, I had bought the wide hand guard and bi-pod before I even go the gun in my hands. Its a hoot too shoot. I'm sure that gun is a hand full in full auto, but it would be fun to try a few times. Is it hard to do bursts with or is it up in the air by the third shot anyway?

I've got a c93 also, but I would imagine the changes would be the same too. FA bolt carrier. Anything else with that one?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts