HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am curious to know if there is any reason or information as to why different HK handguns come in black or gray boxes?

Is this a similar situation like Sig wherein the first quality comes in a Blue Box?

Sorry if this is a repeated question , but I did a search and found nothing.

thnak you

·
Registered
3,603 Posts
The older models came in gray boxes. Some older tactical models came in the zip up camo case. AFIK, all the newer models come in the cheap black boxes. I have 3 HKs with BA date codes and they all came in the cheap black boxes.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
The older models came in gray boxes. Some older tactical models came in the zip up camo case. AFIK, all the newer models come in the cheap black boxes. I have 3 HKs with BA date codes and they all came in the cheap black boxes.
THank you for the answer. You bring up another question. Are the older model HKs possessing of tighter tolerances such as the Sigs? What I know about Sigs are many who prefer them, prefer the models from 06 and earlier.

Finally, am I the only one having difficulty finding a full size .40 s&w USP? Very difficult to find what I am looking for lately.

·
Registered
866 Posts
The original grey cases were for the USP/USPC series. It is smaller and you can find on occasionally. Yes the Hk USP45 Tactical, MK23 and a few others came with grey, black or camo soft zippered cases. Newer hks had black cases. When the Hk45 started being built here, they were sold in newer and larger grey boxes. Theses were temporary and now Hk guns come in an enchanced black case. I have had all of them and I like the newest black cases as well as the larger newer grey case which I was able to acquire one.
As for the USP40 fullsize, try cdnninvestments.com

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
THank you for the answer. You bring up another question. Are the older model HKs possessing of tighter tolerances such as the Sigs? What I know about Sigs are many who prefer them, prefer the models from 06 and earlier.

Finally, am I the only one having difficulty finding a full size .40 s&w USP? Very difficult to find what I am looking for lately.
There is honestly, ZERO difference in the guns. There have been incremental changes over the years, but there is no such thing as a generation of superior HK guns. That's part of the beauty of this brand.

·
Registered
619 Posts
I agree with Apollo. All of my USP's are pre 2002 and I have had no issues at all. When you build it right you build it right and a date code doesnt mean much in our world.

·
Registered
66 Posts
There is honestly, ZERO difference in the guns. There have been incremental changes over the years, but there is no such thing as a generation of superior HK guns. That's part of the beauty of this brand.
How about parts compatability? I have an AI date coded HK45 (DE), if I get a new Hk45 has anything changed with regards to springs, pins, etc? Sounds like it won't matter, which compared to whats going on with other companies right now is a relief.

·
Registered
18,641 Posts
How about parts compatability? I have an AI date coded HK45 (DE), if I get a new Hk45 has anything changed with regards to springs, pins, etc? Sounds like it won't matter, which compared to whats going on with other companies right now is a relief.
As far as I know there have not been any changes in the HK45/HK45C series.

·
Registered
363 Posts
I agree with Apollo. All of my USP's are pre 2002 and I have had no issues at all. When you build it right you build it right and a date code doesnt mean much in our world.

Not trying to nitpick, because I fully agree with you, however if you look up any thread in the WTS section, if its not in the listing, the first question asked is whats the date code. I know its asked more to see what the age is as far as wear and tear but to say it doesn't mean much is not really accurate advice. The only models that I know of that some parts are not interchangeable are pre 1995 USPs, but if so desired you can send them ito HK for updates.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Great discussion fellas. The comprehensive answer is what I was looking for in regard to quality, parts compatibility and so forth. Primarily because I have a 40 S&W CC and wanted something caompatible with it.

It would be great to find another one.

THank you all

·
Registered
2,183 Posts
The new black box that the US-made 45C comes in is FAR superior to the flimsy boxes that have been coming from Germany all these years.

And FWIW, the only differences between my AI date code German HK45C and BB date code US HK45C is the serial # format and the origin markings. Both were originally V1s, I put LEM kits in both, they are simply identical in their working parts; quality as well as fit.

Given what happened to Sig pistols, I can understand the hesitation/concern by some folks. But I have laid hands on a half-dozen US produced 45Cs, and they are basically indistinguishable from a German example except for some of the markings. It simply is not an issue... yet, anyway.

·
Super Moderator
4,386 Posts
[/B]
Not trying to nitpick, because I fully agree with you, however if you look up any thread in the WTS section, if its not in the listing, the first question asked is whats the date code. I know its asked more to see what the age is as far as wear and tear but to say it doesn't mean much is not really accurate advice. The only models that I know of that some parts are not interchangeable are pre 1995 USPs, but if so desired you can send them ito HK for updates.
This gets asked a LOT for collector interest. Some try to line their years--one for each, etc. others what one to match a birth year, anniversary, etc. some are just superstitious.

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
^ And some ppl find the "AK" date code mildly amusing (myself included,lol).

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
Mhmmmmm

1 - 16 of 16 Posts