HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
...but which is gonna get harder to find? SL8-6 or USC?

Rumors come and go on availability of both, but what's the latest? Right now it seems easy to get either, but it will be a few months (minimum) before I can consider the second. So which is more likely to be available in black down the road?

Also, what's the standard handguard on a NIB SL8-6? I have yet to see the same rail on any two SL8 pictures.

·
Registered
67 Posts
if you can perdict the future of the gun industry i`ll make you a very rich man

·
Registered
175 Posts
IMO..It seems that I am seeing more SL-8 on the market than UMC. I would personally like to find a Black USC..I am not in the know about any of the USC's or SL-8..Are they still importing them? Thats what I want to know.

The last 2 USC's in black sold for 1500-1600.00 and a gray sold for 1300.00 that was a couple of months ago.

·
Registered
114 Posts
They are still importing both of them. But they can be hard to come buy at times. One of the biggest gun stores around my area has 2 USC's and 1 SL8 all in black. I have tried to get a USC threw the gun store that I work at ditributors but they have been out of stock. I am told there will be more at the first of the year. When I talked to the owner of the other gunn shop he said they are not hard to get, but you have to realize that he has well over 2 million in inventory so im sure all of the distributors give him first shot at everything.
-Jason G

·
Registered
186 Posts
I'll give you this to ponder....
HK is not planning on replacing a carbine anytime soon for the civilian market, but they are planning on bringing in the 416. So, I don't know, but that tells me the SL8 will be obsolete before the USC, seeing that a newer AR platform in 5.56 will be heavily sought after.

Scottoe

·
H&K Certified Armorer
8,216 Posts
For U.S. import, the grey SL8's you see are designated SL8-1. The rail looks identical to that of a G36C rail except that a) it extends down the length of the forehand grip b) the iron-sights mount differently c) it does not have the rail notches cut down the entire length. NOTE: Many shops will cut the front of the SL8-1 rail down to match the length and fit of a G36C rail. How you can tell is by item "b" and more obviously, item "c" above.

Here's a pic of the SL8 (same as SL8-1 with exception of the magwell)

http://www.hkpro.com/sl8.htm

The black SL8's for U.S. import are SL8-6's. The rail a) is slightly taller b) extends further back over the reciever c) is smooth on the underside of the rail d) does not come with iron-sights.

http://www.hk-usa.com/rifles_sl86_general.html

There are also several U.S. made replacement rails that you may be seeing in photos but if you want to know what the "factory" rails look like... it's all in those photos above.

·
Registered
101 Posts
What's a UMC? The black USC? A converted USC/UMP?

·
H&K Certified Armorer
8,216 Posts
I almost forgot, with respect to the forehand grip, the factory SL8-6 forearm is identical to that of the full sized G36 (has 6 vent slots on each side) with exception that the SL8-6 forehand grip a) has mounting holes on the sides and bottom for short rails (although I believe newer production G36 forehand grips have the holes) b) the absence of the metal heatshield (I suspect this to be because the SL8-6 is semi-auto and HBAR therefore transferring less heat). The SL8-6 forehand grip DOES also include the mouting pin to attach the G36 bi-pod.

If you see SL8 forehand grips in black that do NOT have the vents in them, I suspect what you are looking at is an SL8-1 grip that had been dyed black.

Subsequently, if you see an SL8 with a grip with fewer (or more) that six vents on each side, it is more than likely is a "K" grip (shorter with 4 vents on each side) or a "C" grip (shorter yet with two vents on each side).

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The black SL8's for U.S. import are SL8-6's. The rail a) is slightly taller b) extends further back over the reciever c) is smooth on the underside of the rail d) does not come with iron-sights.
I've looked at both HK-USA and HKPRO, but when I called a local dealer, he said the SL8-6 he has included ironsights - which really threw me off. He claims they are stock sights, but couldn't give more detail over the phone. He confirmed it was a black color, and its NIB. Any ideas?

Hoping to go look at it this week, but the HK sales rep won't be around to answer questions by the time I get off work. On a side note, he received 15 USC's recently. Too bad they're all gray..

·
H&K Certified Armorer
8,216 Posts
I've looked at both HK-USA and HKPRO, but when I called a local dealer, he said the SL8-6 he has included ironsights - which really threw me off. He claims they are stock sights, but couldn't give more detail over the phone. He confirmed it was a black color, and its NIB. Any ideas?
I am pretty certain that the sights were added but the dealer as the SL8-6 does NOT come from the factory with sights (unless a most recent import shipment now includes them). More than likely you spoke with a clerk who was clueless about what mods were made to it after the dealer got it. It's not uncommon for dealers to add accessories to a gun to help sell them.

Best thing to do is go have a look. Keep in mind that even SL8-6's are marked "SL8-1" on the receiver (no idea why HK did this other than to possibly save on re-tooling costs). Other than the obvious cosmetic differences as outlined earlier, ask to see the box. The box WILL be marked "SL8-6" and verify the serial number listed on the box with that on the receiver.

Let me know if you have any other questions... I would be glad to help.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Im seeing both dropping in value due to the release of the 416 & 417 - or until HK produces a attractive non-10rd 5.56mm semi auto.

·
H&K Certified Armorer
8,216 Posts
416's and 417's -- based on the AR design. I own several Colt AR's and love em' but I really drop some respect for HK going with that design. I have always admired HK's for their uniquess from other firearms... the 416's and 417's while superb guns, are just AR-clones to me :(

·
Registered
195 Posts
me too. The 416 and 417 look EVOlutionary not REVOLtionary to me.

I wonder whats next from HK.
I think America wants a non-"sporting" rifle. I think most of the HK croud and black rifle community wants a threaded, pistol-gripped, belt-fed folder, that looked like a video game gun. But with the sex appeal of a BMW or Mercedes.

The SL and USC series would be cool like a VHS or a 1.4m floppy disc!

It wouldn't make them any less of a great firearm. Im not trying to insult people that currently own a USC or SL8 - they are fine. They were the maximum legal limit of what a German firearm could be after the 1994 "Assault weapon" ban.

But, resale value is like a popularity contest. How many of your friends on MySpace are cool because they collect old 1980's French cars - or obsolete euro firearms? It would move into a niche.

lol

see my point? Im not trying to "hate" lol

·
H&K Certified Armorer
8,216 Posts
I don't claim to know the legalities of it all, but it seems that HK could market an "assault" type rifle if they just simply opened a factory here in the states and used U.S. made parts in them? Granted they'd become less prized as "safe-queens" which would dissapoint the advid collector... but us commoners could own one then!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts