HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok, I just picked up the HK USPf 45 urban gray polymer on gunbroker (thanks mate for the heads up) and someone mentioned they thought it would look good with a stainless slide. oouuuuuuuu yeaaa I have to agree. What do you have to do to switch them out to stainless? Is it just the slide? or are there other stainless parts too?
ruminating the possibility
Arthur

·
Merchant of Death (Admin)
11,881 Posts
It's generally an expensive proposition to buy a real HK slide only. What you may want to consider is having somebody like Tripp Research hard chrome your existing slide. The results are really quite good.

·
Registered
35 Posts
You're looking at anywhere from 500-700$ for a SS slide. If you live in state where buying another shooter is a pain in the arse then go for it.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ok so then what you are telling me is it is only the slide. just do an every day field strip, like I do for cleaning, and drop the stainless slide on it. Right? It's that simple?
Arthur

·
Registered
5,453 Posts
Send the top end to Tripp Research for hard chrome, thats what I do when Tripp does my hard chrome (Slide is $95/slide & barrel is $135 with slide stop done too) - no need to send the whole pistol...I send 2DayExpress via FedEx.

http://trippresearch.com/products/pricing/REFINISHING%20PRICES.htm
http://trippresearch.com/

Here is what one of my hard chrome USP looks like beside a stainless .45

*Cobra Chrome comparison with USPF .45 stainless*

Your gray USP would look great in hard chrome! ;)

·
Registered
221 Posts
Tripp is great here some other options:
robar does some nice stuff with NP3
and when i get my PSP i'm sending it to Fords custom refinishing for the BigBore Treatment.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Send the top end to Tripp Research for hard chrome, thats what I do when Tripp does my hard chrome (Slide is $95/slide & barrel is $135 with slide stop done too) - no need to send the whole pistol...I send 2DayExpress via FedEx.

Your gray USP would look great in hard chrome! ;)
Kost, I'm not a huge fan of the chromed slide stop (to each his own). However, I'm a huge fan of those front slide serrations in your photo. Details? P.S. Both of the pistols in your photo look fabulous! I've done some Tripp Research hard chrome in the past and have always been a satisfied customer!

·
Registered
5,453 Posts
Re: front serrations on the hard chrome USP .40sw: Virgil Tripp did them as a favor before he hard chromed it. He doesnt do serrations or any pistol smithing.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Rather than sending your gun to get chromed, just sell it and buy a stainless one. It would probably cost you less that way and you'd have the real deal.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
outstanding. Well, I know it will knock the value since it won't be matched serial numbers, but, I think I might just buy a SS 45 and swap them. Might do the chrome thing. Maybe find a broken 45 with a good slide and have that one chromed or send the broken one to HK for a swap out or... One way or another I'll figure something out. I still have a few days to mull it over while waiting for shipping and dros.
thanks!

·
Registered
616 Posts
Tripp is great here some other options:
robar does some nice stuff with NP3
and when i get my PSP i'm sending it to Fords custom refinishing for the BigBore Treatment.
What exactly is the big bore treatment??

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒ&
1,921 Posts
Another vote for sending it to Tripp enterprises. They do great work.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts