HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI

Please do let me know what you guys think about this holster. Is it any good?

I am a proud owner of a HK USP9f.

If there is something better (and i mean if there is a consensus amongst all of you, not just because you happen to own one its the best) please share it with me.

I am looking for concealed carry holster which has a rapid draw, secure retention, protects the gun from the environment and causes minimum wear on the slide. :680:

oh did i mention a low profile? the USP is a bi**H to conceal.. :D

·
Registered
114 Posts
I really love the serpa holster. It is absolutely one of the best on the market. It's really only concealable with an outer layer on. I do wear one with my HK45 if it's cold enough I want to wear a jacket inside and out. For most CCW I carry the concealco as I can hide it with an untucked t-shirt. Long story short, get the serpa, you can't go wrong. You'll probably want something a little more discreet for full time carry depending on how you dress.

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
I have several of them for the Compact, 1911, Five-seveN, and Beretta 92/96. I have no complaints at all with them and if a holster doesn't do the job, I don't buy another one so the Serpa CQC must be doing something right.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
I have several of them for the Compact, 1911, Five-seveN, and Beretta 92/96. I have no complaints at all with them and if a holster doesn't do the job, I don't buy another one so the Serpa CQC must be doing something right.
I see you on a five-seveN. I had one in my hands two days ago at the local gun shop. That maybe a new toy to buy down the rode. How to you like it? Plus how well does it shoot?

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
I'm not real fond of it. It feels odd in my hands and I do not like the safety. I do like the slide release a lot but the worst part is the trigger. People bitch about the HK trigger obviously have not tried the 5-7 trigger. Two stops until it breaks on the third, no repeat strike capability, no more powerful than a .22 magnum rifle with normal civilian rounds regardless of what all the antis say.
As to how it shoots, not a clue. It has been a safe queen just like the PS-90 ever since I bought them. They were bought to make sure they are never banned by the anti-gunners because if they are ever banned, I will make a small mint on them, and that NEVER happens to me.
I got the holster just in case some day I do want to sell it then it will have a holster to go with it. I like the Serpa CQC so much that I bought one for a pistol I have no intention of shooting let alone carrying anywhere.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I rather like my five-seven, I guess mine came with a nicer trigger though. It breaks cleanly at about 5lbs and it deadly accurate. I muzzle energy issue I can't argue but I seen to hit just about everything I shoot at with it and M.E. is no good if you miss, and I am remarkably better with it than say a 45. Just my humble opinion of course but I carry it all the time...In a Galco combat master I think, I'll have to look into the Serpa for it. I have found them a little uncomfortable for heavy guns and the FN is if nothing else, light as a feather.

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
That's for darn sure. One reason I went to the USPC for carry is because it was so much lighter than what I was carrying, a S&W 696. The 5-7 is lighter still. And you do have to admire the 20 round mag even though I still feel if 8 does not get the job done, you have more serious problems than mag capacity.
You are also right about a bullet on target of any caliber is much more affective than a .45 bullet in the floor. While I have not shot mine I have shot a 5-7 a little bit and while I did not do any real accuracy testing, it seems accurate enough. For some reason the lack of recoil did not inspire confidence in me about its ability to stop a fight in a timely manner. I'm sure it would but I guess I am too use to my stopping guns having a little more oomph on both ends.
For me the most important thing about the 5-7 is keeping it on the market. They want to ban the .50 BMG because it is too big, and they want to ban the 5-7 because it is too small. Unlike the three bears, the antis will never find a gun that they like, but that is a rant I will save for another time.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I've been reading a lot about the 5-7 lately. I've been able to try one and I know that trigger was a lot nicer than my USP40.

As for the 5.7 cartridge I've been doing research on that as well. They have a nice thread on it at the fivesevenforum.com, and the early reports look good. From what i understand the bullets are designed to yaw rather than expand to create a wound cavity.

·
Registered
93 Posts
The ballistics are really nothing to write home about...bout like a 22WMR. It ain't the greatest but it has its place like most things. I also bought one just to get it while I can. It might not be that way forever...

and I thought it was the purple extractor?

·
Registered
28 Posts
The ballistics are really nothing to write home about...bout like a 22WMR. It ain't the greatest but it has its place like most things. I also bought one just to get it while I can. It might not be that way forever...

and I thought it was the purple extractor?
My extractor hasn't experienced a color change, but
my sear turned purple a few years ago. So I'm in a much more secretive club =)

·
Registered
851 Posts
I've been reading a lot about the 5-7 lately. I've been able to try one and I know that trigger was a lot nicer than my USP40.

As for the 5.7 cartridge I've been doing research on that as well. They have a nice thread on it at the fivesevenforum.com, and the early reports look good. From what i understand the bullets are designed to yaw rather than expand to create a wound cavity.
Man, you boys have really peeked my interested on the Five-seveN. I'm going to check it out at a local shop. I'm not even sure if I am allowed to own it in NYC, but we'll see I guess... :D

·
Registered
19 Posts
Back to the holster question.

I really like the Serpa for my USP9c. I chose it because I carry it concealed often and figured that a little retention would be a good idea. I'm not a big guy but I conceal the weapon well, my wife never knows if I have it on me or not. My only complaint is that it starts to dig into my side after sitting for a while YMMV. Also per your questions, any Kydex type holster will cause a little more wear on the slide than say, a lined leather holster.

Overall, I am very happy with it and give it a 9.5 out of 10.

HipowerHK

·
Registered
11 Posts
Can anyone compare the Serpa to a Blade-Tech? I shoot my USPt in USPSA so I have an open-top (no retention, unlike the Serpa), adjustable-cant holster that I can take off my competition rig and put on a belt. I also have a Blade-Tech UCH (which is IWB and works great) . . . but when I'm wearing a jacket or sport coat, I'd like to be able to wear OWB for the faster draw.

Specifically, if anyone can speak on the following points:

• Can you adjust the cant? I'm used to about a 15-20 degree FBI cant (muzzle back).
  • How high does it ride? I hate feeling like I'm reaching in my armpit to draw the gun.
  • Is it an open muzzle? They list the USP FS (though don't say if that's the 9mm/.40 or the .45), which would obviously only fit my Tactical if the muzzle was open.
  • How close to the body does the gun rest? Will I be able to conceal under a heavy shirt or sport coat, or are we only talking windbreaker/winter coat?
Hopefully someone knows the answer to at least one of those questions ...

Thanks!

-- John.

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
Can anyone compare the Serpa to a Blade-Tech? I shoot my USPt in USPSA so I have an open-top (no retention, unlike the Serpa), adjustable-cant holster that I can take off my competition rig and put on a belt. I also have a Blade-Tech UCH (which is IWB and works great) . . . but when I'm wearing a jacket or sport coat, I'd like to be able to wear OWB for the faster draw.

Specifically, if anyone can speak on the following points:

• Can you adjust the cant? I'm used to about a 15-20 degree FBI cant (muzzle back).
  • How high does it ride? I hate feeling like I'm reaching in my armpit to draw the gun.
  • Is it an open muzzle? They list the USP FS (though don't say if that's the 9mm/.40 or the .45), which would obviously only fit my Tactical if the muzzle was open.
  • How close to the body does the gun rest? Will I be able to conceal under a heavy shirt or sport coat, or are we only talking windbreaker/winter coat?
Hopefully someone knows the answer to at least one of those questions ...

Thanks!

-- John.
1. Yes, you can adjust or cant both forwards and back.
2. I rides about middle of belt. I do not get the feeling that it is up in my armpit and I have a short waist.
3. It is open at the muzzle. All calibers fit the same holster. It will not fit the tactical because the sights are too tall.
4. It does not ride real close to the body. A loose fitting shirt or jacket is needed and I do not carry in the CQC in the summer. I am too wide at the girth to be able to conceal it well but if you are quite a bit thinner than I then you should have no trouble even with a moderately loose shirt. If thin then a windbreaker would be fine as well as an untucked loose shirt but even then some printing will likely occur. I do not worry about printing since I have my CCW license and my summer carry, a fag-bag, is a dead give-a-way to anyone who knows different carry methods (I hope cops a versed in this) but I have never had anyone question me carrying. Bad guys I don't think are smart enough to realize the pig-tail on a fag-bag is a tell, at least not until it is too late.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Serpa

I have four Serpa holsters.
I us one for each of a Beretta 9mm, Sig 226, Kimber TLEII and just picked up one for my USP 45. I really like the finger off the trigger requirement for release and the positive sercuring of the weapon upon reholster. I also utilize a drop leg platform and like the lockup it provides as well.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Thanks, Big Bore ... it's disappointing about the sights, though. Those suckers keep on coming back and giving me trouble over and over again---and I'm not going to put a silencer on the gun so there's no point in having the extra-tall post (but that's a rant for a different thread).

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
You can put the standard sights on the Tactical no problem at all and then the CQC Serpa would fit perfectly. Just push out the old ones and press in the new ones. And if you don't mind taking a little hit in the value department, I am sure there are a LOT of guys here that will do you an even swap, their standard sights for your adjustable Tactical sights! If you talk to them nicely they might even throw in a few bucks boot!

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
I have four Serpa holsters.
I us one for each of a Beretta 9mm, Sig 226, Kimber TLEII and just picked up one for my USP 45. I really like the finger off the trigger requirement for release and the positive sercuring of the weapon upon reholster. I also utilize a drop leg platform and like the lockup it provides as well.
Which Serpa do you have for your Beretta? I'm thinking of buying one for my 92F.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts