HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This does not fit in the HK rifle section, but it also is not a clone as the CETME predates the HK G3. If anything its the other way around... A little back story. In the closing days of WWII a number of German engineers from Mauser escaped to Spain. While they were there they were put to work at CETME (Centro de Estudios Técnicos de Materiales Especiales) now Empresa Nacional SANTA BARBARA. There they continued to refine some rifle designs started at Mauser during the war.

What would become known to many in the US as the CETME rifle was primarily designed by Ludwig Vorgrimler. Later when the Belgians would refuse to grant a license to manufacture the G1 (FN FAL) to the Germans, which after an order of 100,000 rifles really ticked off the Germans, but who could blame them considering Germany had invaded them twice in the previous forty years, the Germans then turned to the Spanish Government and CETME and negotiated to build the CETME rifle in Germany. They came to an agreement and eventually the HKG3 was born of this effort.

In the 1960s a small number of CETME rifles were imported by the Mars company in Chicago Illinois. Here is one of those rifles.

CETME

·
Registered
34,510 Posts
Gorgeous, early import!!! :eek:
SN presume S-02100*-S-02300*. :biggrin:
Can you PM me with the full SN? :wink:

Tony

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Cool, I like that. I own one in the Wood Stock.

Yes It's nice to have the real deal, this Gun is unfired and it will probably stay that way.

HDH.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I actually had two Mars CETME rifles at one time. The serial numbers were just four apart. Another friend really wanted it, bugged me about it so I eventually gave in, he still has it. But I do miss her. lol

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thats very nice, great photography. I should get some shots with her paired with my FR8 too.

·
Premium Member
632 Posts
Beautiful weapon, I like the engraving of "Sport" on it and how the selector goes from safe to semi via the arc from safe to cyclic seen on F/A firearms--unlike later evolutions of that general family of trigger pack.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Beautiful weapon, I like the engraving of "Sport" on it and how the selector goes from safe to semi via the arc from safe to cyclic seen on F/A firearms--unlike later evolutions of that general family of trigger pack.
Thanks, These "Sport" Rifles were imported into the U.S. From 1966 to 1971. My rifle is one of 1254 that were brought in during those years. These were slightly different from the Military issue Rifle of the Spanish army. These rifles had a special wood treatment on the stocks (smooth sanded/ varnished wood and a rubber recoil pad added). It was sold here as a hunting Rifle for $250. - $400. during that time. Depending upon condition they currently sell anywhere from 2.7K to 4K. generally about 1k more than a garden variety HK91.

The other distinguishing characteristic from the Military version was the built in (molded) scope Mount on the receiver.

The Military Rifle used a Stanag type Mt. (like the HK)
http://www.hkpro.com/forum/hk-talk/134146-rare-hensoldt-wetzlar-hk-cetme-optical-scopes-diapi-d-2-5x17-5-claw-mounted-not-zf4.html

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=286772233

HDH.

·
Registered
34,510 Posts
Thanks but its a bit of an unusual request. Purpose?
Not really--- as many here know, I like to provide as much "general" information as possible on matters such as SN ranges, markings, importation numbers, etc.!!! :wink:
I will not "ban" you if you do not comply. :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Tony

·
Registered
34,510 Posts
Based on my information, the 2100-2300 range were supplied with the metal forend/bipod, while the 2400-2700 range came with the wooden forearm!!! :wink:

Tony

·
Registered
85 Posts
1 - 20 of 28 Posts