HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just want to first say that nobody was hurt today and luckily everybody had proper eye protection. This is a Post Sample MP5 and ran flawlessly in full-auto prior to this incident.

My nephew finally got some trigger time on the .40 and went through two magazines with no issues. He set the weapon down and a friend of mine picked it up. He loaded the magazine, dropped the charging handle "tried" to fire but the first round blew the Surefire handguard (with light)off the front of the weapon. He immediately checked his hands/fingers and made sure there was no shrapnel. When he said that my weapon blew up I thought he was joking until I noticed the Surefire hanging.

We were using Winchester white box and I have never had any issues with this ammo after several thousand rounds.

Thank the Lord that the squib must have been located toward the muzzle and not near the chamber where it may have injured my friend's hand.

On positive not, the cocking tube, bolt assembly and operating rod all appear to be OK.

thanks,
Ron

·
Registered
255 Posts
wow!....be thankful that all digits are still in place and no bodily injuries. must
have been quite a fright. hoping for a positive outcome.

·
Premium Member
8,632 Posts
Wow, and even with factory ammo. But the good news is that no one was hurt, and "all" you'll need is a new barrel and handguard. That's the first blown up one I've seen here.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Thank the Lord....
+10

Ok guys what in the world would cause this? Dr. Cheney, was this one of the 'new and improved' Coharies? Or an old one from a year ago when Vector was selling them? Aprox. rd count? Send it back to Coharie. I wouldnt mention what ammo you were using, as I beleive they say not to shoot WWB in the manual. :/ Heck Id tell them to buy you a new surefire... Keep us posted please..

·
Merchant of Death (Admin)
11,557 Posts
As the OP stated, there must have been a squib round in the barrel. A squib being a round that has an accidentally reduced powder charge such that the bullet is not expelled from the barrel. When a second round is fired, an over pressure situation is caused, often resulting in a catastrophic failure.

A very lucky thing that nobody was hurt!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I bought this Coharie about almost 2 years ago. I initially thought it was a Vector because the dealer I purchased it from carried quite a bit of Vector product at the time. I didn't realize it was a Coharie until I got home later that evening. I have not had any issues with the weapon since that time. Quality and finished appeared to be on level with HK's that I have owned in the past.

I probably won't return the weapon for repair. If I sincerely felt that it was an issue of quality control or substandard parts I would be on the phone this morning letting them know that I wanted a new barrel installed and a handguard. This is just one of those rare things that happens with ammunition and luckily it turned out alright with nobody being injured.

thanks,
Ron

·
Registered
280 Posts
I agree that it doesn't sound like Coharie's fault. However I certainly WOULD talk to Winchester about their ammo QC, or lack thereof. Play it up big time and see what they are willing to offer.

·
Registered
366 Posts
I agree that it doesn't sound like Coharie's fault. However I certainly WOULD talk to Winchester about their ammo QC, or lack thereof. Play it up big time and see what they are willing to offer.
+1

Also, I'm glad everybody was OK!

·
Merchant of Death (Admin)
11,557 Posts
Just to play devil's advocate... Isn't there some incumbent responsibility upon the shooter to know that the barrel is clear? A squib round normally *sounds* different.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just to play devil's advocate... Isn't there some incumbent responsibility upon the shooter to know that the barrel is clear? A squib round normally *sounds* different.
My nephew is relatively new to firearms. He has been shooting a Ruger 10/22 for several years but never anything bigger than that.

It was his last round from a 30-round magazine after he was doing 3-5 round bursts. We talked about the suituation afterwards and he said that he didn't notice any difference. I discussed at length with him about the dangers of a squib round and what it would feel or sound like in case this ever happened again.

thanks,
Ron

·
Registered
329 Posts
To be fair I don't think it's nearly as easy to hear a squib on a full auto conversion then it is a single shot rifle or handgun.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Have you verified that this was a squib? A squib is a logical conclusion, but did you actually find two projectiles in the barrel (I'm just assuming there would be)?

Given the number of mg shooters around, and the wide variance in ammo quality, I'm really suprised that we don't get more reports of this sort of thing. The last time I saw something similar was about 4 years ago. Forunately for the shooter, he was able to determine that he had a squib before he pulled off the next round. Perhaps more fortunate, he just happened to not be running the gun (transferable Uzi) in auto, and happed to be the shooter during a day that he was letting a crowd of other people take turns on his gun.

It's good to hear no one was hurt during your outing. Guns can be replaced...

·
Registered
200 Posts
If that was a German made, factory barrel, it never would have split. It would bulge, but not crack open like that. Hammer forged barrels are much stronger.
I'm glad to hear he was safe and uninjured!

·
Registered
570 Posts
If indeed it was a squib, I'd call winchester asap and complain..loudly!!! I myself has a new (about 200rnds on it) CZ 85 combat blow up in my hands from a ruptered case, about 6 yrs ago..using certian brand of Russian ammo with a large canine on the box.. They promply replaced my pistol...If it is Win.'s fault I think replacement of all damaged parts and pay the all 'smithing bills would br fair.

·
Registered
6,398 Posts
If that was a German made, factory barrel, it never would have split. It would bulge, but not crack open like that. Hammer forged barrels are much stronger.
I'm glad to hear he was safe and uninjured!
It would be ruined in either case.

Man, that is a scary looking barrel. I think this is the down-side of using cheap ammo for FA shooting. I think I'd stick with S&B FMJs.

But then I got to thinking that I shoot cheap-ass stuff in my SW5 in rapid fire sequences. In those conditions, I'd never be able to react quickly enough to a weak round. I'd end up with this same damn problem. Yikes, kinda scary.

It sure make me glad that I've put a vertical grip on the front, as that will keep me from wrapping my hand around the barrel.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I too have a Coharie .40. Most of the parts were changed out with factory HK, but one of the things that was left was the barrel. Should I be worried about the quality of the barrel from Coharie? The last thing I want is to have a family member shooting my gun and it blow up. I'd like to know everyone's opinion on whether I should have the barrel swapped out to a factory HK mp5 barrel? Glad no one was hurt, but wow!! Scary

·
Vendor
727 Posts
Something is not right

This is NOT the first time this barrel problem has happened. I have heard of several instances where this has happened in the last year. All of these have been CA .40 barrels IIRC. I am starting to think there may be bad batch of barrels as something is not right here. I have seen many a "bulged" factory HK barrel but NEVER a barrel that splits as you see in this example.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have only had one squib and it was from factory loaded ammunition. I prefer my own reloaded. I even had two bad primers out of Federal Gold Medal Match 308 BTHP 168gr. I consider that very good ammo and it too has failed at least twice (each was out of different boxes but same lot) (gun was checked and rechecked). Gun was perfect and the ammo was jacked.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts