HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright, I hate glocks... I shoot them all the time and give my full sized usp 40 any day...

So my buddy decides to pick up a G24C (this is a longslide compensated 40 cal). Holy crap.. the thing does not move, it stays on target and the follow ups where so fast. It has a jet funnel, extended slide and mag releases....

Now I can outshoot my buddy still, however the difference last night was incredible. My USP is NOT keeping up... I think I am going to have to start taking back some of the crap I say about glocks.

Can the porting really make that much difference... and can that be accomplised with the USP?

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Yes, porting is a very effective way of reducing recoil. You can get Jarvis drop in barrels, IIRC the porting is about 80 bucks. Only difference, is the Jarvis barrels are extended to be ported, not like the glocks with the cutouts in the slide, although some companies can do it, i think someone here had the slide milled out and the stock barrel ported.

TBH tho as much as we joke about glocks being not very good, theres really nothing wrong with them.... As long as you dont reload, and use good ammo they will work just as good as the USP (mabey not quite as accurate but i doubt you'll notice)

·
Registered
28 Posts
I thought when you mod a gun to a ported barrel its a different class of gun as far as competition rules.

The USP is a combat gun. That glock is a competition/target gun.

And yes the porting makes a big difference.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I thought when you mod a gun to a ported barrel its a different class of gun as far as competition rules.

The USP is a combat gun. That glock is a competition/target gun.

And yes the porting makes a big difference.

yep, it's no good for IDPA, but it'll work for IPSC.

For defensive purposes, everything I've read suggests porting is NOT recommended (increased flash, increased noise).

Can't swing the funky glock grip angle. Tried and I can't.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Alright, I hate glocks... I shoot them all the time and give my full sized usp 40 any day...

So my buddy decides to pick up a G24C (this is a longslide compensated 40 cal). Holy crap.. the thing does not move, it stays on target and the follow ups where so fast. It has a jet funnel, extended slide and mag releases....

Now I can outshoot my buddy still, however the difference last night was incredible. My USP is NOT keeping up... I think I am going to have to start taking back some of the crap I say about glocks.

Can the porting really make that much difference... and can that be accomplised with the USP?
porting will reduce recoil, but i'm not going to deal with all that flash in my face. at the end of the day, it's still a glock.

·
Registered
3,250 Posts
I love both Glocks and HKs. I have a USP .40 Combat Comp. a G26 and a G19. I find the G19 to be as accurate as the USP, and both are VERY accurate. Provided the user likes the features of both pistols (my USP has Novak sights, my Glocks are wearing Trijicons), then both are equally good for either target or self-defense use. A fair assement of quality in a comparison is that HKs come "fit and finish" from the factory and the Glocks need a little extra customizing to make it your own, but that still makes them one hell of a great gun.

I have never shot any of the Glock C models, I imagine they would make great target guns but are probably a poor choice for self defense. As previously stated the muzzle flash could be a detriment in low light conditions. If I ever bought a C model it would be one of the longer barreled competition models that Glock makes and I would keep it strictly for the range.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I've fired glocks a heck of alot more than HKs. I'm just really not a big fan of glocks. I agree they're reliable, and well built (for the most part). I'd just take an HK anyday. Infact, I'd sell all my glocks to save for an HK. I really dislike their sites, and I'm not a fan of how they feel in my hand.

Guns are always a personal preference thing! 98%!

·
Premium Member
3,979 Posts
yep, it's no good for IDPA, but it'll work for IPSC.

For defensive purposes, everything I've read suggests porting is NOT recommended (increased flash, increased noise).

Can't swing the funky glock grip angle. Tried and I can't.
that is my biggest complaint about Glocks too. I can shoot them alright, but it takes extra/specific concentration to compensate for that goofy grip angle.

·
Registered
518 Posts
My brother has a Glock 17c that I have shot a lot. I would never worry about the flash from the barrel being comped. I have shot the 17c in all lighting conditions including darkness...and instead of having one large flash out of the barrel...you have 3 smaller flashes...none of which hinders your night vision more than a gun that is not comped.

If I ever get a Glock...it will be one with the compensator...You can make follow up shots damn fast and even in the smaller models like the 19 they are very accurate.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Porting reduces muzzle flip, not recoil, correct?

But it does greatly help. My brother's Springfield XD V10 compact jumps much less than my full size USP because of those ports. But, as has been said, it's not really a good option for self defense, IMO. It just creates another danger zone around the gun, and makes it so you can't do the draw and initial shots from the hip.

I love porting strictly for range and competition purposes, but beyond that I don't like it.

If you want that on your USP, send it off to someone to get it done... but consider all the pros and cons first...

·
Registered
22 Posts
I've had both types of Glocks in the past. To me, porting did not make much difference regarding speed of follow-up shots. Does, however, feel rather uncomfortable to shoot from a weapon retention position, i.e. from the beltline. The gas comes up in your eyes.

·
Registered
802 Posts
That's what the camera sees. The sensor on the camera is far more sensitive than the eye.

·
Registered
9 Posts
According to an article in the current issue of American Handgunner, the ammo you use makes all the difference in the world in how much muzzle flash you get. Some of the ammo choices had virtually no muzzle flash. If that's the case, I'd think that you could run no-flash ammo in a compensated gun, and have the best of both worlds, assuming that the ammo choice also meets the other requirements for P.D. ammo.

·
Registered
802 Posts
If you were the shooter, you really won't even notice the muzzle flash unless you were specifically looking for it. I've shot some fire breathing IPSC Open guns that spew flames about 2 feet straight up in the air. If you were focusing on getting your shots, you never even notice. The only time a compensated gun becomes a huge problem is when you have to shoot from retention. You have to angle to ports outward when you shoot.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Apples and oranges... The 24C was specifically designed for competition. The USP was designed to separate HKaholics from their hard earned cash.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
If you were the shooter, you really won't even notice the muzzle flash unless you were specifically looking for it. I've shot some fire breathing IPSC Open guns that spew flames about 2 feet straight up in the air. If you were focusing on getting your shots, you never even notice. The only time a compensated gun becomes a huge problem is when you have to shoot from retention. You have to angle to ports outward when you shoot.
After shooting at night time with that ported XD, I disagree. A lowly-lit target was harder to see after that first shot. While it's not like getting hit with a bright flashlight in the eyes, it did noticeably screw with night vision. Yes it does also depend on ammunition used.

I agree that the biggest problem with a ported for holstered personal defense is the shooting from the hip bit. I wish I had a picture of the shirt we draped over the top of the ported XD to show the violence of the flash out of the top...

Oh, and another disadvantage of the ported (at least with the XD) is that it coughs residue onto the front sight, and after it happening over and over, that front night sight has gotten to be much dimmer than it was originally. But here's another place where different ammo would've produced different results. Cleaner ammo and an immediate cleaning would have that front sight post still shining bright.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Sounds like the jarvis option would be great. I can swap barells in 30 sec and run produciton for IDPA.

·
Registered
25 Posts
TBH tho as much as we joke about glocks being not very good, theres really nothing wrong with them.... As long as you dont reload, and use good ammo they will work just as good as the USP (mabey not quite as accurate but i doubt you'll notice)
This wives tale is coming from someone who probably has never owned a Glock. I have personally fired thousands of reloads through my Glocks without a problem. The unsupported chamber lie has been debunked a thousand times.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts