HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've run across a couple of these magazines recently and was curious about the finish. The ones I've seen all have the same date - 2/63 and have a unique blue colored finish. Of course these are the aluminum mags so it must be some type of chemical or anodizing.

Was HK experimenting with different finishes at the time?

IMG_5677.JPG IMG_5679.JPG

·
Registered
225 Posts
I have one of these aswell. Might be 1/63 but definately 63. I would have to look at it again to be sure.

·
Premium Member
1,591 Posts
I have a steel version that I would also describe as blued that I got at a LGShow in the mid-80s. It is stamped "G3 HK" over "4/62".

·
Registered
921 Posts
+1 on the blue anodized alum G3 mag.

Had it for some 25 years...

DG

·
Registered
58 Posts
I originally thought it was steel until I got an actual steel one (kinda hard in cali). You can definitely tell the weight difference.
Mine is 12/64 and has a circle with diamond in it. Very cool mag imho.

·
Registered
90 Posts
The circle and the Diamond are as you all know the Rheinmetall markings. But blue tone is very odd, i have a couple of G3 magazines and they afe all black.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Looks like indonesian mags, they have the same blueish color. I have no clue why they used this colour though, or why they were made by Rheinmetall though.

·
Banned
34,557 Posts
I've run across a couple of these magazines recently and was curious about the finish. The ones I've seen all have the same date - 2/63 and have a unique blue colored finish. Of course these are the aluminum mags so it must be some type of chemical or anodizing.

Was HK experimenting with different finishes at the time?

View attachment 76642 View attachment 76650
That is an early one (the earliest aluminum that I have seen is 1/63)!!! :biggrin:
You may be surprised how many are "blue" in the appropriate lighting. :wink:

Tony

·
Registered
213 Posts
Just found this ones..

https://youtu.be/E86RSmhBFMg

Apparently Rheinmetall made some of the early G3s before production was moved to HK. That also explains why indonesian mags were blueish.. they were also made by Rheinmetall. I wouldn't be surprised if the whole aluminium mag concept came from those early experiences. Except for the weight savings I'm pretty sure they are much more suited for the humid south east Asian climate.

·
Banned
34,557 Posts
I believe this to be the history: :biggrin:

1959 (NWM- Nederlandse Wapen en Munitiefabrik- acquires production rights to the CETME design outside of Spain)--- I have an original NWM brochure (CETME Rifle 58);
1961 (NWM transfers production rights to HK and Rheinmetall);
1969 (Rheinmetall transfers production rights to HK);
1977 (West German Government cedes ownership production rights to HK).

Tony

1 - 12 of 12 Posts