HKPRO Forums banner

Bobcat 89SP failure to feed

2K views 17 replies 6 participants last post by  Gimpy 
#1 ·
I picked up a Bobcat 89SP yesterday for what I consider to be a smoking deal. I read up here first and understood that these have been known to have issues. When i loaded it and fired, it didnt pick up the next round in the magazine. This happened 5 times out of a box of 50. It has no problems vacating the chamber after it fires from what I can tell. when I got home, I cleaned the whole weapon (which seemed as if it may have still had the factory lube on it) and began to order parts based off of what I have read. I ordered a 9mm hammer spring, extractor spring, buffer spring, and a factory mag. I intend to replace the trigger group possibly, and get more mags before I am done. I'm curious if there may be any other recommendations of possible parts to replace while I am at it, and any suggestions on how to fine tune this weapon.

#3 ·
I measured the head, and the face is right in spec between .397 and .401. Is there something else to look out for on the bolt heads? Also, it seemed as if the bolt was short cycling. I didn't know if this was due to the springs, or the cheap magazine it came with not holding the round at the correct angle/ holding the round back.

#4 ·
Ejector lever would be suspect. The bh could be dragging on the ejector. Bh and ejector lever are known to be out of spec.

#6 ·
I've heard of them having too much play on the lp as to keep them from going forward straight.

#11 ·
Check the mag catch to be sure it's in spec and holding the mag high enough. Can you push the mag in farther than the catch will hold it, by a lot?

#12 ·
So far, I've only tried the magazine that came with the weapon. I picked it up yesterday. From my experience, FTF issues are usually magazine problems which is why I ordered one from hkparts last night. It seemed to me like it may have been short-stroking somewhat also. I assumed the buffer spring and hammer spring would resolve that. I appreciate all the responses I have received so far and look forward to hanging around to learn more.

#13 ·
Gimpy,
The Bobcat mags that came with were hit & miss. I would stick with genuine HK curved mags. What letters are stamped on your bobcat mag? There is a proper sequence of things that could be looked at. Just remember, if it gets to that point, just change 1 item at a time & re-test & note any differences.
Dj

#17 ·
"Early Bobcats" may be a bit of a misnomer. I don't think there are a whole lot of these carbines around. I'm also an owner of a BW5, and have been asking other owners online about their serial number ranges. The highest serial number that has been reported to me is in the 90s. Of course, only a fraction of owners are involved in online communities, but I would be surprised if there are more than 200 out in the wild. It didn't take very long for Andy Bonas to have a falling out with TB, at which point there were no more BW5s being made.

The only "problem" I've had with my Bobcat is that the barrel wasn't pressed in perfectly straight and it requires me to max out the windage for a perfect zero.

#18 ·
I got my parts in today, and there is a huge difference. The HK magazine doesn't wobble, the HK extractor spring is more substantial, and the hammer spring and buffer spring that are stock have no comparison to the HK parts. I think there should be a substantial change in operation when I get out again.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.