HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having bought a PTR GI R, I took the recommended step of checking the bolt gap before taking it to the range. The included manual states that a gap of between .010" and .018" is what I want for a functioning rifle. Mine is .020".

Am I going to have to replace the rollers, or is there another solution?

·
Unrepentant HKHolic
Ones that go Bang
4,930 Posts
Yes you will need to change the rollers, your probably feeling a pretty good kick with that gap............

·
Registered
289 Posts
.020 is the upper end of HK spec. Your PTR gap will likely settle in around .018 after a couple hundred rounds. I would not bother changing the rollers, just shoot away and enjoy.

·
Registered
34,542 Posts
Welcome to the site, and congratulations on the acquisition--- I concur with @seasmoke--- try 100-200 rounds, and recheck!!! :biggrin:

Tony

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Update: I ran 260 rounds of various manufacture and grain through it yesterday. Still figuring out how to get it to hit where I'm aiming, I suspect my sight picture/cheek weld is inconsistent. I will have to work on that once I've restocked on ammo.

Anyway, you guys were right, it did wear into spec. The bolt gap is about .017" now. Funny thing though, I was cleaning the bolt and noticed that the rollers were mismatched, both in size and in their exact details. Almost as if whoever put the thing together grabbed rollers from two different sets made by two different manufacturers. Is that something to worry about, and if so, should I have it sent back to PTR?

EDIT: Correction, the bolt gap is now .016". I forgot to drop the hammer before measuring last night, I just got back from doing it properly.

.020" to .016" is a significant change. Should I be worried?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts