HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The owner's manual for the MP5 .22LR says not to use bore brushes over 1" in length as they may get stuck in the barrel. I've looked for short brushes but can't seem to find them anywhere. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Otis and or Boresnake is the way to go, chamber to muzzle. However the Winchester brand .22 brushes at Wal-Mart will work fine for muzzle to chamber cleaning.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Don't use a longer bore brush for the MP5

I own an H&K MP5 and you will not be able to use a longer bore brush for it. It tried and it screwed up the barrel. The MP5 has a short chamber and the brush won't go thru and if you try to force it back out, it can damage the chamber and the barrel. Also, a .22 bore snake won't go down the barrel either. The best way to clean it is use the Otis short chamber .22 brush SKU FG-321 with a 26" Small Caliber Cable (8-32 thread) SKU IP-C-177-26.

·
Registered
532 Posts
That doesnt make any sense at all. How can a bore brush for a .22 not fit in a gun chambered in .22lr? The chamber is bigger than the bore, so it should be fine.

·
Registered
652 Posts
I use a boresnake to clean mine

·
Registered
6 Posts
The reason.....

It is not the diameter of the brush, i.e. .22 caliber that is the problem, it is the length of the brush. The ejector port is very short on the MP5 and so if you push a longer brush down the barrel, it doesn't have enough room to go all of the way out into the ejector port, hence the brushes are facing the wrong way that are still in the barrel. In order to remove the brushes, you must now force the brushes against the rifling in the barrel to pull it back out, and this damages the barrel and the chamber. I have never owned a weapon where that is the case but I had to return my brand new MP5 because of this condition. I will never make that mistake again. As for the bore snake, it may be the brand of the snake or whatever, but the one that I have for my other .22 weapons won't even drop down the barrel to be pulled out. As a matter of fact, the original cable that I have with my Otis kit is too large in diameter and won't even fit into the chamber to properly clean the weapon. That is why I had to order the small caliber cable to go into the chamber and through the barrel. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Would a better bore brush reduce the number of patches I end up using?
Last time it seemed like it took 15+ patches before all cleaned up
Thank you

·
Premium Member
30 Posts
I have use a bore snake on mine as well with no issue and have used regular .22 cal brushes without any problem. If you were really that worried about it couldn't you just take a normal bore brush and pull the bristles on the rearward portion of the brush out until you only have one inch of bristles on the froward portion? If i'm understanding this correctly this is for cleaning from muzzle to chamber with the bolt in place locked in the rearward position. Is this correct?

·
Registered
1 Posts
.22 caliber differences

That doesnt make any sense at all. How can a bore brush for a .22 not fit in a gun chambered in .22lr? The chamber is bigger than the bore, so it should be fine.
I have tried to use a .22 brush in my .22lr, and then after failing to effectively use I did a little research and found that .22 cal is .224" while .22lr bore diameter is slightly smaller - .217 if I remember correctly.

·
Registered
10,254 Posts
Granted, I don't own a GSG 22 or whatever they're named now, but am I daft thinking you would leave the bolt inside the gun while cleaning the bore? Is there some reason the entire gun wouldn't be spread out on mom's kitchen table while you clean the bore?

Not understanding this line of thinking.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts