HKPRO Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
bought a ptr 91 GI R range report

Just waiting for it to come in to the FFL. I'm trying to get ahead of the game and get some goodies for it before it arrives. Been doing a ton of reading and google searching on some of this stuff. Wanted the wide green hand guard but looks like they're all sold out at this time. Still trying to decide between a bill springfield buffer and a PCS buffer. Whats the real skinny on Bill's trigger work , I've seen some people not so happy with his stuff.

Biggest problem I've had so far is picking out a scope. I want something with some magnification but also dont want to spend any where near the price of the rifle for a scope.
Will this scope fit on my rifle without interfering with the charging handle

Vortex Optics - Viper HS 4-16x44 V-Plex

Thanks for the help

·
Premium Member
364 Posts
I've had three trigger packs worked on by Mr. Springfield. All three are excellent. I do see, very occasionally, mention of some sort of problem. They are apparently dealt with very quickly.

I have one of the PCS buffers. I have not tried one of Mr. Springfield's. The PCS buffer is very nice. When I got my PTR91, the recoil seemed to me to be two separate pulses, which really bothered me. With the PCS buffer, the sensation went away.

What do you want to do with the scope? Sixteen power is kinda high for anything but benchrest use. If you wish to quickly acquire targets, a variable where the lower power is 1X will be what you want. On a hunting-type rifle, I've never felt the need for anything over 4X.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I want something I can reach out and touch something with and my eye sight sucks to put it nicely. I have a 14x mueller on my 10/22 and I like being able to "zoom" into the target. On top of that I know someone that has one for sale for a decent deal. The scope measures 13.7" . Hopefully the pcs and wide hand guard will be back in stock soon.

·
Registered
6,409 Posts
I've had three trigger packs worked on by Mr. Springfield. All three are excellent. I do see, very occasionally, mention of some sort of problem. They are apparently dealt with very quickly.

I have one of the PCS buffers. I have not tried one of Mr. Springfield's. The PCS buffer is very nice. When I got my PTR91, the recoil seemed to me to be two separate pulses, which really bothered me. With the PCS buffer, the sensation went away.

What do you want to do with the scope? Sixteen power is kinda high for anything but benchrest use. If you wish to quickly acquire targets, a variable where the lower power is 1X will be what you want. On a hunting-type rifle, I've never felt the need for anything over 4X.
I'm not familiar with the phrase "very occasionally". Does that mean it happens frequently, not not very often? That word combination is sort of like when someone tells you to "turn the air conditioner up". You still don't know if they want it warmer or colder?

Ok, as far as the OP is concerned. I have one of his reworked trigger packs. I love it. Never had a bit of trouble with it. Good crisp feel and light pull. I also have one of his original buffered stocks. IIRC, he sent it to me for trial. Initially I couldn't tell much difference because I was mostly shooting standing up and might as well been shooiting my shotgun. When I finally got around to benchtop shooting at a little bit of a distance, the difference was notable. I'm not sure I'd really need that accessory since I don't really do much benchrest shooting with my 91s, but it's nice to have it as an option.

I've been thinking about getting another trigger pack from him to put in one of the few guns that I'm currently converting to an SBR. Much nicer feel.

·
Registered
931 Posts
That particular Vortex scope (I have one of those) in a claw mount won't work with the necessary short eye relief.

2 to 2-1/2" is needed.

You might get away with it using that 'rail' on the new PTR's, tho.

I use several of Bill's triggers in my 91's, they are well worth the $ and make shooting them much more rewarding.

The charging handle will be close in any case.

Dennis

·
Premium Member
364 Posts
I'm not familiar with the phrase "very occasionally". Does that mean it happens frequently, not not very often? That word combination is sort of like when someone tells you to "turn the air conditioner up". You still don't know if they want it warmer or colder?
Forgive me, I studied Metallurgical Engineering as my undergrad major, not English Lit. For both our benefits:
ver·y
/ˈverē/
adjective
actual; precise (used to emphasize the exact identity of a particular person or thing):
"those were his very words"
synonyms:
exact, actual, precise
adverb
used for emphasis.
synonyms:
extremely, exceedingly, exceptionally, extraordinarily, tremendously, immensely, hugely, intensely, acutely, abundantly, singularly, uncommonly, decidedly, particularly, supremely, highly, remarkably, really, truly, mightily, ever so, terrifically, awfully, fearfully, terribly, devilishly, majorly, seriously, mega, ultra, damn, damned, dead, real, way, mighty, awful, darned, exceeding

oc·ca·sion·al·ly
/əˈkāZH(ə)nəlē/
adverb
at infrequent or irregular intervals; now and then:
"he met her occasionally for coffee"
synonyms:
sometimes, from time to time, (every) now and then, (every) now and again, at times, every so often, (every) once in a while, on occasion, periodically, at intervals, irregularly, sporadically, infrequently, intermittently, on and off, off and on

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That particular Vortex scope (I have one of those) in a claw mount won't work with the necessary short eye relief.

2 to 2-1/2" is needed.

You might get away with it using that 'rail' on the new PTR's, tho.

I use several of Bill's triggers in my 91's, they are well worth the $ and make shooting them much more rewarding.

The charging handle will be close in any case.

Dennis
damn that sucks to read. does anyone else have any scope suggestions that have nice magnification but dont cost more than the rifle itself

·
Registered
259 Posts
Biggest problem I've had so far is picking out a scope. I want something with some magnification but also dont want to spend any where near the price of the rifle for a scope.
Will this scope fit on my rifle without interfering with the charging handle

Vortex Optics - Viper HS 4-16x44 V-Plex

Thanks for the help
Look at Primary Arms optics with the ACSS reticle. Here is a link to their optics: Rifle Scopes, Sights, & Accessories| Primary Arms

Here are a couple of reviews of 2 type of optics made by them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NO1QxqWG_2c

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VFDHS7Vi_Vs

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Damn there is a ton going on in that first scope they arent much shorter than the vortex i was lookin at though

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have a new PTR 91 with a 1913 rail. May I suggest a Primary Arms 1 by 6X ACSS or 1 by 8X ACSS or a Vortex Eagle. Physically they appear to be almost identical and do leave enough clearance for the charging handle. I am using ARMS high rise quick detach rings to clear the rear sight. I had a trigger job done by Bill Springfield which was excellent. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Anyone know where I can pick up a wide green handguard? RTG say sthey wont be back in stock till around jan/feb of next year

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So this thing is finally in the mail good lord talk about a long wait. Now that its on the way its time to actually start picking up some things for it ( wasnt sure it was actually going to happen so I waited to buy parts)

I'm looking at this cocking handle
https://www.hkparts.net/shop/pc/HK-91-G3-PTR-C308-Cocking-Handle-Extended-125p199.htm

But where have all the decently priced buffers gone? Hkparts is out of them and so is RTG. Is there anywhere else to pick up a better buffer for one of these things that doesnt cost almost as much as the rifle itself.

I'm also having a tough time deciding between the clubfoot stock or the prs2 stock

·
Registered
101 Posts
So this thing is finally in the mail good lord talk about a long wait. Now that its on the way its time to actually start picking up some things for it ( wasnt sure it was actually going to happen so I waited to buy parts)

I'm looking at this cocking handle
https://www.hkparts.net/shop/pc/HK-91-G3-PTR-C308-Cocking-Handle-Extended-125p199.htm

But where have all the decently priced buffers gone? Hkparts is out of them and so is RTG. Is there anywhere else to pick up a better buffer for one of these things that doesnt cost almost as much as the rifle itself.

I'm also having a tough time deciding between the clubfoot stock or the prs2 stock

Bill Springfield offers a cheap buffer upgrade Home. As for clubfoot vs prs it basically comes down to what optic set up you want. If you plan on having a high mounted scope the prs will be a better option than the clubfoot.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I too have had some very good work done by B. Springfield. The funny thing is if you mention his name over on FAL Files Forum people will act like your talking about an Ax murderer!

·
Registered
40 Posts
The Steiner P4Xi 1-4X24 has exceeded my expectations on my JLD-91. I like the 1X power setting with both eyes open and the variable power illuminated reticle is a nice feature. It's length is big plus for 91 applications. It's bright, extremely clear and it didn't break the bank. It's also "Made in the USA".
Optical instrument Rangefinder Monocular Airsoft Grass

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Damn there is a ton going on in that first scope they arent much shorter than the vortex i was lookin at though
The 1-6 fits great on my PTR91 and has no problems with the charging handle.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts