HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A couple of years ago, I purchased a VP9. In addition, I recently bought a HK P30sk LEM V1 in 9mm, followed by a standard HK P30 LEM V1 in 9mm. I figured I'd share my thoughts because all over the internet I've read many people ask about the VP9 vs. the P30 series.

Over the past several months, I was looking to add a new carry pistol to my collection. I was amazed with the P30sk ergonomics the moment I first held one at a local gun store. I took a leap of faith and ordered a P30sk V1 in hopes that I'd like the LEM trigger. When I got to the range, I was amazed with how well the P30sk shot. While I was hoping I would shoot it well for a small pistol, I actually shot it as well as any handgun I've ever tried, regardless of size. In addition, I really like the V1 LEM trigger for carry. It is a simple, consistent pull from the first to the last shot, but it still allows me to shoot fast and accurately. I am blowing out the center of targets in a way I haven't done in several years. The second-strike capability of the LEM sold me over striker fired guns I've carried for the last several years.

I liked the P30sk so much, I decided to trade away my VP9 toward a standard P30 9mm V1. I actually like the standard P30 V1 9mm even more than the SK version, it's an absolute tack-driver. Moving forward, I plan to carry the standard P30 V1 in the cooler weather and the P30sk in the summer. It seems like a sensible carry rotation due to magazine commonality along with identical controls, triggers, and Meprolight sights. On a side note, the P30sk carries nicely in a Stealthgear Ventcore mini-IWB holster.

I know that a lot of people like the VP9, but I was never really satisfied with mine. To me, the VP9 felt significantly less robust than the USP or the P30. If I had no prior experience with the USP or P30, I might not have noticed the following issues. Little things like the weak side slide release lever and the plastic charging supports felt cheap to me. The VP9 was the only polymer pistol I've owned that I could really feel a lot of flex in the grip when I squeezed. I've read rave reviews regarding the VP9 trigger, but my particular VP9 had a fair amount of grit in the take up and a good bit of creep just before the break. I'm sure I'm in the minority, but I like the USP and P30 triggers more.

There's my two cents in case anyone was interested. Here's a pic of my two favorite new handguns:

·
Registered
412 Posts
Brother I'm in exactly the same place you are. Obsessed over the SK for a while and finally ordered one. I'm sitting here waiting for it to be delivered to my shot and I'm already contemplating selling my VP9 and buying a p30.

Maybe I'll just wait and keep both lol.

Congrats on the sweet new irons.

·
Registered
675 Posts
I actually like the standard P30 V1 9mm even more than the SK version
As much as I liked my P30SK, I also like my P30 better. I just could not get used to the short grip. So I ended up with Two P30 V1.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
As much as I liked my P30SK, I also like my P30 better. I just could not get used to the short grip. So I ended up with Two P30 V1.
Yeah, the short grip also bugged me. I added the pinky extension on two of the three P30sk magazines which for me made a tremendous difference. It handles better than most full sized pistols now. When I carry the P30sk, I'm going to start carrying a full size 15 round P30 magazine as a spare instead of the 10 rounder.

·
Registered
565 Posts
There are a lot of people here, myself included that can relate to you on this.

I like the VP9 a lot from a practical standpoint, from the standpoint of a gun that's built to shoot fast and accurately - but I can't deny that I just get more enjoyment out of shooting hammer fired pistols (and realistically I'm not necessarily slower or less accurate). The most fun I have at the range is shooting the Mark 23, and I want to (and do) carry it sometimes, but it is probably more trouble than it's worth for that......probably ;)

I've owned the P30L V1 before, but I never really warmed up to the LEM trigger like I thought I would. I'm planning on getting a P30LS soon, and hopefully it will be available in the new grey color.

To the OP, I would recommend trying out the L model if it interests you (softer recoil impulse and longer sight radius/barrel make me prefer it over the standard, but maybe the standard is preferable for carry), the 'shorty' slide release, and a Lone Wolf trigger job (I'm definitely going to get that on mine to get rid of the crazy long trigger reset).

·
Registered
84 Posts
I started with the VP9, went LEM with the P30 series as I had a very similar thought process with it as you did, and now I'm back on the VP9 train. The LEM trigger doesn't (for me) lend itself to shooting at speed very well in its stock form. And I tried...spent thousands of rounds with the LEM trigger. There was too much mush before the break and the reset was too long. Don't get me wrong I love the P30 series...just for my purposes and what I feel the most confident with, i'm rolling with the VP9.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Congratulations on both of your new pistols.

I have P30L, P30SK, and VP9. I love them all. I have a slight preference with my P30L over my VP9 but love shooting both and get excellent results with both.

As far as the P30SK, I find it to be an awesome pistol. I CCW mine with 13 round magazine in an Ozark IWB single clip kydex holster.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I prefer the P30 TGS or V4 better than the VP9 or P30 V1. I don't trust a fully cocked striker for the way I carry (aiwb). And the trigger is truly mediocre at best. Both I have shot were very gritty and quite mushy. My polished Glock triggers are infinitely better with no grit and a crisp clean break. The LEM V1 weak reset drives me nuts. I end up jerking the gun around trying to move my finger quickly on fast strings since the pistol doesn't aid this. I also short stroke the trigger when pushing past a 0.26 or so split. Slow aimed fire is okay with the V1, but at that point why not just go with a P30S?

Over both I prefer a V4 P2000, of course.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I started with the VP9, went LEM with the P30 series as I had a very similar thought process with it as you did, and now I'm back on the VP9 train. The LEM trigger doesn't (for me) lend itself to shooting at speed very well in its stock form. And I tried...spent thousands of rounds with the LEM trigger. There was too much mush before the break and the reset was too long. Don't get me wrong I love the P30 series...just for my purposes and what I feel the most confident with, i'm rolling with the VP9.
i agree. i own a vp9 and p30sk v3. love them both and rotate carrying both. the vp9 weighs just 1.5 oz more but is longer and taller.

·
Premium Member
3,086 Posts
I love the p30 and the vp9. Quality wise I don't see any significant difference. What's important is you got two great guns you really like! Congrats!!

·
Registered
161 Posts
I did more or less the same thing; you're not alone in your thinking. Got the VP9, liked it but it still felt like a starter HK to me. Bought the p30sk Lem ns and loved it. Decided to get the P30 Lem ns and sold the VP9. I like hammer fired carry guns. Carry those two guns quite often depending on the weather. The P30 Lem is like a Mercedes--fits and handles well, can do most things wonderfully. I still have a VP40 that I keep as a hedge on 9 & 45 ammo scares and I think it's the best striker 40 available as it's actually designed for the round. I feel my exposure to the usp line influenced my rationale all along.

·
Registered
667 Posts
I did the same thing you did. Ended up selling both and regret it. Might get them again someday but for now I have the P2000 and P2000sk. I shoot them well and they fit my hand. I actually like the v2 LEM setup. You were wise to get the LEM. While still requiring some practice it is waaaay better than the da/sa which is atrocious.

·
Registered
16 Posts
While I do think that the VP9 trigger is better than P30, even LEM. I prefer many things on the P30s that I don't love on the VP9. The slide length on the P30 was ideal for concealed carry and the slide stops on the P30 were a little easier to use compared to the VP9. Aesthetically, the VP's rail chin is ugly and the proportions on the P30 look much better. But ultimately, the VP9's trigger and better backstrap construction are what sold me, and the price.

There will never be a VP9/P30 Compact, only the full-size and sub-compact. There will never be a G19-sized competitor. The reason the P30 has a full-size grip and compact slide is because arguable its best selling point is its ergonomics and backstrap system, HK wanted a full-size frame to accomodate the most amount of people. Imaging if the original P30 would have a G19-sized grip, people with large hands would have had their pinkey hanging off and people with medium-sized hands would have been right there on the border. But with the P30, it doesn't matter if you have petit or obese hands, the backstrap combinations will fit anybody. The VP9 grip is nearly identical to the P30, with a more pronounced hump.

The SK versions were bound to arrive but notice how the backstrap system is not as useful on the SK models as it is on the full-size which is given because of the 3rd finger hanging off.

SK

·
Registered
5,436 Posts
Congrats on your new P30's.
Fantastic pistols!

Welcome Home!

Sent from my SM-S903VL using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 40 Posts